IF transformer question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

IF transformer question

Post by willy3486 on Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Anyone familiar with a RC 1080 Chassis? I am thinking it is a RCA that has the three knobs from the way it looks. Here is why I am asking. I have a 66x1 radio I am working on. The second IF transformer is shot. I have a junk chassis stamped with RC 1080 that has a similar IF transformer in size,shape and has 5 pins. I did a quick check of the ohms and it has the same ohms as the diagram of the 66x1 I am fixing of about 15 ohms. I haven't done much testing since I just found the junk one before I came in for the night. So has anyone changed many of these IF transformers out of similar age that looks similar and ohms out the same or do they have to be the exact part number? Eyeballing it and ohming it out it looks like it will work. Both of the transformers had numbers on the sides and the first part of the numbers were the same and the ending numbers were different.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: IF transformer question

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:31 pm

Willy, if they came out of the same model chassis and both were second IF transformers, there is certainly a good chance!
Give it a go.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:09 pm

Willy,

I did a quick check, RCA chassis RC-1080, RC-1080A, RC-1080B, RC-1080C, RC-1080D all appear to have the same 2nd IF transformer design. If you need the "magic" values of the internal caps for rebuild, let me know.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:14 pm

I got it going! I didn't have to use the spare. I took the IF transformer out and took it apart. I got it to where the wires were attached. The last thing was I had to trim open the top where I could insert a new tuning rod that was wider. But while I was putting it back in I thought I would check out the components around it as I new the final issue was in this area.

I checked out the volume control and it was shot. I took the one off the junker and put it in. It was shorter so what I did was to cut a piece off the junk one and solder it to it. I then filed and cleaned it up. I got it to where I had volume but no station. I then injected a signal into the IF transformers and got a signal. I was then able to tune in stations. I have a dead spot in the cap tuner but for now I will leave it. If I run across a better chassis with no case I will rebuild it and put it in this case.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top