Those of you with wives - I need some advice

Go down

Those of you with wives - I need some advice Empty Those of you with wives - I need some advice

Post by neali on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:38 am

I have a love of 1930's radios and they need a long wire antenna. How does one have a bunch of them on display and playing and switch the long wire in wife friendly way? A bank of knife switches mounted to the sheetrock has been vetoed. Very Happy

neali

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Those of you with wives - I need some advice Empty Re: Those of you with wives - I need some advice

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:01 am

Do you have a strong station where you live? If so, you may not need much of an antenna. Here in Phoenix, all any of my radios have is a test lead dangling behind the cabinet. That gives enough signal to close the eye tube.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Those of you with wives - I need some advice Empty Re: Those of you with wives - I need some advice

Post by neali on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:08 am

Yes,

There are strong stations and then there are the stations I like to listen to which may be 1000 miles away. My favorite is in Toronto.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:20 am

A customer of mine made me an antenna he "invented". It worked pretty well, was compact, and wife friendly. Good for DXing. If you would like more information, I can email you details.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:56 pm

What frequencies and what is the antenna impedance? Depending, you can use anything from a rotary switch to coaxial switches.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kbruce on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:56 pm

I have a few of these Terk antennas I use.

I prefer the one with an input jack with 2 wires, you hook one up to the antenna post on the radio and one to the ground post. Dial in the rough station location and then fine tune the Turk and the volume increases a lot. You can set thes on top the radio or next to it as needed and its attractive looking too

http://www.terk.com/radio-antennas/?sku=ADVANTAGE
y2kbruce
y2kbruce

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:21 am

Bruce, N7Z and WC,

Thanks for your reponses. I am lisening mainly to BC and 5900-9900 KHz. I have about 10 favorite radios I am cycling between and I am connecting a single internal long wire to each as I cycle between. I use a short wire and a female banana jack on each radio and a male banana jack on the long wire.

WC, shoot me your home brew design. Bruce, yours does look wife friendly as well.

Thanks guys.

neali

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down