Olsen KB 141 RF Signal Generator & Tracer

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Olsen KB 141 RF Signal Generator & Tracer

Post by MrBill on Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:22 pm

So I have aquired a NOS Olsen KB 141 never assembled. I will install new resistors and capacitors but my question is what type resistors should I use? I have read that 1 watt flame proof with 350 volts or higher are recommended.
Also should I consider adding any auxillary jacks so I can add a frequency counter? Im new to all this so please be gentle.  Smile 

MrBill

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Olsen KB 141 RF Signal Generator & Tracer

Post by willy3486 on Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:42 pm

I may be wrong but I would check the ohms of the resistors. If they were what was on them I would use them. As far as caps I would replace the wax caps. I am not sure of how old that is but if some of the caps were the epoxy dipped orange drops or similar I would use those as well. As far as replacing the resistors if I had to I would look at the assembly manual and get the equivilent or better ratings on wattage.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:13 pm

Make sure you have the probes.

If not, on the RF output (if you have room) Replace the RCA receptacle with a BNC and us RG 59 cable and make your own probe. I haven't seen any instruction manual on the web but always use a blocking capacitor and attenuator on your own probe to project your signal generator from DC voltages.

You can put this in a small tin metal box, and then use a BNC T connector to hook up your frequency counter. You can make it elaborate or simple.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBill on Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Yes, the probes did come with it.

MrBill

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-02-20

Back to top Go down