A Crisis!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A Crisis!

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

My frau got up this morning and turned on her Magnificent Magnavox daily driver. Thirty minutes later, I got up. She announced that her Maggie was dead. As a doornail. It was still plugged in. She had not swallowed the cord with her vacuum rug beater. But there it is, totally dead. The TV was plugged into the same outlet. It worked. I pulled the back on the stereo and found zero voltage to the multiplex adapter, the easiest place to check. Hmmm.

The stereo is plugged into an extension cord. She had re-arranged the room, and had used the extension cord on the stereo. Apparently, that cord is brand new Chinese junk. I scooted the stereo over to another outlet, and it fired right up. The frau needs to go to Wallyworld and buy a BETTER Chinese extension cord. One that works. Crisis over.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: A Crisis!

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:22 pm

And, you think you are going to get anything good from China????????????????????????

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:43 pm

I guess I could put a longer cord on the stereo. That might make the most sense. It only needs to be a couple feet longer.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:04 pm

Don't patch one on. Start from scratch. Put a longer cord on.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:10 pm

I wouldn't kluge one. I will have to pull the amp chassis and......

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:27 pm

Be careful of those extension cords because they can be a fire hazard. Not sure where you can get a good quality cord today though.
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Make your own is the only thing I know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:34 pm

I posted this little crisis as a public service. Extension cords should be avoided. Even new ones are not dependable. New houses are not wired with enough outlets, unless the electrical is "upgraded". Houses built in the 1950's had more outlets.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:18 am

She needs to go buy TWO extension cords. Select the one that works and use the other for a longer cord on an appliance, or if the prong end is bad, use it for zip cord.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:37 pm

My frau has the semi-bad habit of eating cords on whatever with the rug beater on her vacuum. I have to keep them wire-tied up so she can't get to them. This had happened to that old stereo, so I just cut the cord off and put it back on. It is now too short. I should not have been so lazy, and just put on a new, long cord.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:57 pm

Hmmm, a cord retractor may be a consideration in restorations.  Very Happy 
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:37 pm

I have considered a new frau, but I can't get anything for the old one, nobody would want her, and I'm not sure I would trade up.  Laughing 

It seems easier to repair cords and keep my mouth shut. It's probably cheaper to keep her.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:10 pm

It seems easier to repair _________ and keep my mouth shut

When dealing with a wife you can keep that sentence and plug in any item you want!

lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:43 pm

Very Happy 
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:18 pm

NFPA 70 (The National Electrical Code) regards extention cords as a temporary use item, only. If I recall correctly, 3 months is the time limit in which they shall be used...for what it's worth.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Ragwire wrote:NFPA 70 (The National Electrical Code) regards extention cords as a temporary use item, only. If I recall correctly, 3 months is the time limit in which they shall be used...for what it's worth.
OOPS!!! I guess I would be in violation of the NEC.. as I have had some extension cords in use for upwards of 3 years. Although I think 2 are homemade. 1 is made from an old vacuum cleaner cord and the other is made from an old pool pump cord. Both have duplex outlets on the female end. Having a home the was built in the 1920's that has never been fully re-wired it is difficult to position electrical items near outlets all the time.
I personally see no issue with using extension cords all the time as long you know exactly how much current you will be pulling out of it at all times. Most of the time a majority will have less than 5 amps being pulled through them and will be fine. Just don't try to plug an electric heater into one unless it is a homemade one that is large enough to handle the excessive current.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:21 am

My frau is death on cords. I'll bet I have put ten cords on her sweeper at home. Even the TV cord mysteriously got cut. I have no idea why her luck with cords is so bad.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:05 am

Every time I see the title of this thread I think of the silly title they slapped on the reruns of Kraft Suspense Theater.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:07 pm

tuberadiogeek wrote:
Ragwire wrote:NFPA 70 (The National Electrical Code) regards extension cords as a temporary use item, only. If I recall correctly, 3 months is the time limit in which they shall be used...for what it's worth.
OOPS!!! I guess I would be in violation of the NEC.. as I have had some extension cords in use for upwards of 3 years...
Me too. It's pretty hard to enforce...more like a Factory Mutual thing where an inpsector walks through a plant and notes cords in place for too long. Then they can cite the code and say to wire in new permanent receptacles.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top