"Mr. Buick" has messed up!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Mr. Buick" has messed up!

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:33 pm

In my earlier post about a '56 Buick Century, I mentioned that my grandpa had one, with a Guidematic headlamp dimmer system. Actually, grandpa's '56 had an Autronic Eye.

GM introduce the Autronic Eye headlamp dimmer system on Cadillac and Oldsmobile cars in 1952. Buick received the system in 1953. The first experience I had with such a system was in grandpa's '56 Century. The Autronic Eye had the large sensor mounted on the left corner of the dashboard.

In 1958, Guidematic was introduced. The photosensor tube inside the head mounted on the dash was made smaller and there was a sensitivity adjustment knob on the back of the photosensor. Guidematic was used on Buick and all GM vehicles from 1958 thru the 1970 models. Only Cadillac had Guidematic, after that time, and that lasted until 1988. Thru the 1966 models, Buick Guidematic sensors were mounted just left of center on top of the instrument panel. Starting in 1967, thru the 1968 models, it was mounted on the left front fender for some odd reason. Windshield glare was given as the reason, but how about road spray? The 1969 and 1970 models were exceedingly rare, and I am not sure I have ever seen one of these cars with Guidematic. And again oddly, Guidematic was seen far more commonly on the lower line Oldsmobiles than it was on Buick. I have no idea why. In any form, Guidematic is marginally effective. When the reflective stiping was introduced on roadways, that killed what effectiveness they may have had. The system will switch from high to low beams so often, it is annoying. I keep the system in my '63 Electra off.

Thanks to Dr. Radio, I got to thinking about my use of the correct nomenclature for GM's headlamp dimmer systems. I was more familiar with the term "Guidematic" so used it for the earlier models. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused, and thank "the Doc" for getting me on the straight and narrow.  Very Happy 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: "Mr. Buick" has messed up!

Post by 75X11 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:40 pm

When my folks got a '71 CDV, I was kind of dissapointed the photoelectric sensor wasn't mounted on the dash. I found they had repositioned it behind the grille.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:04 pm

My guess is that Guidematic sensor was behind the grille on "69 and '70 model Buicks, as well. Guidematic was not available on a '71 Buick, but your folks' Cadillac still had it. I wonder why Cadillac retained Guidematic when it was apparently unsuccessful on lesser GM brands.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:00 pm

My folks worked overtime a lot. The system served a purpose in that the lights flashed by the oncoming cars would awaken them when asleep at the wheel.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:10 pm

affraid 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:21 pm

I had a 1972 Buick Skylark, it was a great car but did not have any of this fancy stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:49 pm

I had a customer who bought brand new, special ordered, a '72 Skylark convertible with an inline 6 and three on the tree, with moonie hubcaps. It was baby poop brown with black top and interior. No power steering or brakes, no radio, no heater, no A/C. A total el-strippo. Quite possibly the ugliest Buick I ever saw. The Chevy 250 was technically not an option after 1971, but this car had it.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:03 am

Mine was a 350 with automatic, pretty much standard. It was a nice car.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top