Anyone familiar with the 1950s Admiral TV combos?

Go down

Anyone familiar with the 1950s Admiral TV combos?

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:07 pm

Is anyone familiar with the early 1950s Admiral TV on one side radio/phono on the other side? There is someone who is local to me that has one. It is a blonde cabinet and similar to this.

The case has been painted and the TV is probably shot. Someone has taken parts out of the tuner. The set is not worth restoring and I have no interest in buying it to do so. The person has a second hand store and has someone who wants it but they want the TV taken out and the radio fixed. So here is my question on these. Are these set up with the radio guts separate to the  tv or is the tuner or its  amp on the tv chassis. They want to have the radio and record player to work but the TV taken out. So anyone worked on one? Thanks in advance.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone familiar with the 1950s Admiral TV combos?

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:22 pm

I can't help but I do remember the set. It what we had when I was growing up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:28 pm

The radio gets all it's power from the tv chassis.
That includes the amplifier.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:49 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:The radio gets all it's power from the tv chassis.
That includes the amplifier.
So in other words you can't separate the TV and run the radio on its own. Thats what I was afraid of.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:03 am

There is actually a thread on VK right now about one of these. It may be of some help to you, Willy.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:16 pm

Would this thing be worth 30 bucks in parts. She has went from 100 down to 30. I really have no desire for it but I hate to see it be trashed. Anyone wanting one and coming through or living in TN let me know. I will get it and save it for you.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:49 pm

Don't want the entire thing, but, would be interested in parts if you want to part it out.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:48 pm

If I part it out I will let you know. If someone wants to restore it I will let it go complete. What are you looking for?

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:51 pm

I've seen a Admiral roundie of that style that all radio used was a multi pin plug to distribute AC to radio and phono, power supplies are totally separate... Just add a AC plug to radio and you should be good to go... Or if plug isn't on TV chassis just remove TV, there is no doubt a method to select AC input between the TV & radio chassis...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:32 am

The earliest ones had a power supply on the radio chassis. Then on later ones, some models had a separate power supply that had two power transformers. One for tv, the other for radio. However, a troublesome switching to switch fradio filaments off when tv was on, and, tv filaments off when radio, both times, leaving power to amplifier on. Most Admirals got their power for the radio from the tv chassis....
What tuner parts did they take from tv tuner??

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:00 am

Bill Cahill wrote:
What tuner parts did they take from tv tuner??

I do not remember the official name of the part but inside the old tuners there were small boards that set the channels. Seems like they had coils,brass rivets and maybe set screws. One per channel. There were a few of these laying in the bottom of the TV. It may be a week or so before I can get up there. I have been dealing with a sick relative lately and I have been sick myself. I got walking pneumonia about a month ago from a sinus infection caused by the relatives house then I went over there last week and it hit me again. I went to the Dr on Monday to try to clear it up again. I have been sick for over a month and to the Dr twice due to being allergic to the nicotine in the relatives house. Anyway I am not going to be out much until it completely clears. My body is worn out from this and I want to get built up again.

If I do gut it Bill what were you looking for?

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Definitely the record changer, and, the speaker. Perhaps more. Sounds more like the put in UHF strips to get a UHF channel. There are two removable strips per channel. They have steel posts on them that make connections to the still switches. They often get dirty, and, or, corroded. I used good pencil eraser to clean those contacts, and, a good spray on the switches, then, rapidly turn the turret in both directions. I also put the spray on the contacts on the drums to finnish cleaning them...

Set may be worth fixing, sadly...
If I had a way to get it I would give it a good home. I have one Admiral comb. in a rare Chinese painted cabinet I want to restore. It's one of their deluxe twelve inch sets that uses a rare Dumont 12JP4 picture tube, and, has pp audio output. Radio is AM-FM, and, being a'48, or, so, set, has a two speed record changer.
It's really a neat set, and, I expect once I have it restored, it's going to be a very nice set....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:53 pm

I will keep that in mind when I get it. If it is restorable I may do that. But now I have been getting a lot of stuff in lately. The local guys into gutting and twanging with amps give me their junk. I help them out from time to time when they get stuck and they give me the old goodies they don't want. I have a carload I got back in Oct to go through still. I think the changers I got were late 50s RCA and Zenith types though. One of them did give me a Zenith Cobra changer that I was able to use to get my Zenith record player going.

If this had been 10 to 15 years ago I could have got it to you and probably get you any part you needed. I have a uncle that lives in Sanford FL just outside of Orlando I think it is. He was a good fellow and would have brought it your way. But he hasn't been home in years and I don't think will make it up this way anymore as he is in his 80s. Another fellow that was here locally use to have a building off the main area. He had one of those old small downtown buildings,maybe 100ft wide by 150 ft long. It was filled up with all kinds of electronics and appliances from the 20s to the 70s. He had dozens of these sets alone. I think he had 3 or 4 of the Admiral TV that was the biggest bakelite case ever made. Sadly when he retired all that went to the landfill about 14 years ago. I got my 38 seeburg and 47 seeburg jukeboxes from him. I got tons of other stuff as well.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:54 pm

I need a complete tone arm for a mid fifties Zenith cobramatic with the variable four speed changer. I need the entire plug in cartridge parts with it. Mine is missing parts, and, is shorted out.
I have a heavy leather clad portable I'm trying desperately to finnish. May need amp parts for it also...
Output transformer, which is a strange one with four secondary wires isn't checking right.
I think it's open. Uses single six V Six output, a pre-amp, and, a 5Y3 rectifier.
Supposedly, it's hi fi, and, has a woofer, and, tweeter...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:46 pm

Hey, Willy, you would not happen to have a Collaro L-600 changer for a Magnavox stereo laying around, would you? I am also still in the market for multiplex adapters for Magnavox is you run across one. Thanks.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:44 pm

Hey Bill and wildcat check you messages. I sent you both a link to a few photos of what I have at this time. I thought I had another RP but I couldn't find it. I only have a few as of now but my name is getting out there locally again so hopefully I can find more. This crud is keeping me down so bad I can't do much. I am afraid if I try to do to much I will wind up in the hospital. The back cobra is the one off my zenith I restored. I would have prefered to used it but for whatever reason the cabinet,amp ,and all other parts were almost mint but this RC chassis was rusted up an in bad shape. The cartridge was shot. I think I may still have the arm if I can find it. The Zenith and RCA were pulls or leftovers given to me by the "gut it for the amp" crowd. Let me know if any of this could work. I don't know the condition of any of it.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:35 pm

The Zenith turntable (center one in the pictures you posted) is a VM that would work dandy to change out a 78 rpm turntable in a radio. What do you want for it?

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:07 pm

C:\Users\admin\Pictures\2015_0214RCAVictor66E\2015_0214RCAVictor66E0009.JPG

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:08 pm

I just can't get it to work.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:29 pm

Bill, I am by no means an expert, but it appears to me that you are skipping a step in the process. The link you posted is your computer "address" for your picture file. Are you double clicking on the picture you want to post?

I just did it to make sure I was telling you right. After you get the "Browse" prompt, it should bring up a list of places on your computer you can find a documents file. Do you see that?

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:07 am

WC is right, that is an location on your "C:" drive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:25 pm

No I didn't skip anything. My pictures are in my documents files in my c drive. That's the way I've done it for years. I quit using photobucket because it keeps losing photos. I do it directly out of my computer, and, until now, it has worked fine.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down