Bit By Bit

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Bit By Bit

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 25, 2014 5:18 pm

Be sure to get a can of penetrating oil and start treating the nuts and bolts on your shocks. Even if it will be a while before doing them. I hate to say, but more often the sender is the gas gauge culprit.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sun May 25, 2014 6:13 pm

75X11 wrote:Be sure to get a can of penetrating oil and start treating the nuts and bolts on your shocks.  Even if it will be a while before doing them.  I hate to say, but more often the sender is the gas gauge culprit.  

Yup common for the wiper arm to wear through the PCB type etching and sender will be open...

The float in my front tank apparently has porosity or a hole in it, if I run it almost dry then don't fill it for a week or so the gauge will work but falls back to empty within a day or so... Wouldn't be a issue but the check valve in rear tank is leaky so fuel from front tank is partially returned to rear... Can't run on front tank with rear over 1/4 full or it will eventually overflow... So I run the rear down, then switch to front checking level in rear occasionally(that gauge works), sometimes I have to run on the rear a couple times so it doesn't over flow...

Since in reality it needs both pump/gauge/float/check valve assemblies(and they ain't cheap), I'll run it as is till one of the pumps fails electrically, only then will I consider replacing those...

Last edited by 35Z5 on Sun May 25, 2014 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 25, 2014 6:24 pm

In many cases the float is a hollow brass cylinder that is held on the arm by a surrounding C shape at the end. It will wear a pinhole in the float and cause the type of fail that can be partially corrected by emptying the float. Corrosion to the sender mechanism by the ethanol laced fuels takes them out regularly. My dual tanks have the check valve defect also, but it fills the front tank when the rear is selected. If I just use the front tank, I can refill it from the rear , switch to use the front, then fill the rear.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sun May 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Funny story on mine...

The A/C was down when I bought it and was told it would work with a recharge, yeah right I'm thinking but for $1200 one can't expect much(plus it was Nov and I wasn't going to need it)... Well come next April('13) I was down at my buddies car lot and he said "charge it up, I just got a fresh jug of R-134"... So I grabbed the gauges and refrigerant, and had at it(I'd already checked system and it had a little pressure so was thinking seller was maybe telling truth)... Once recharged it worked fine... And the funny part?? It still works this year so I called my buddy and told him his refrigerant messed up my truck, was supposed to need recharged again this year...  Wink
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 25, 2014 7:18 pm

Very Happy 
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 25, 2014 10:57 pm

Yep- great idea on the shock bolts.  I already thought of it.
I had both the fuel gauge and AC fixed two years ago by Mineke.  Last year the AC worked great.  This time it has a weird symptom.  There is a plate in front of the compressor.  It keeps cycling on and off every few seconds and drags down the RPMs to where the engine almost stalls.

I paid over $300 to have my fuel gauge fixed.  I got tired of setting the odometer, filling up the tank at about 150 miles and then figuring out the mileage. It turns out to be 16/16  16 miles to a gallon and a 16 gallon gas tank.  Now I'm doing it again.  The part in the gas tank is not a float, it is also the fuel pump.  The way the gauge acts is weird.  I'm beginning to think that it might be the wire.  That would be a good thing.

(It took me three hours to write this. My dog got hold of a huge brownie and I had to take him to the vet.  I think he'll live but I think he's a little stoned on so much chocolate )
terrydec

Number of posts : 1055
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 25, 2014 11:06 pm

I have a Golden Retriever female that would crawl thru the hubs of hell for a couple M&M's. If chocolate was fatal to dogs, as is claimed, Ginger would long ago have been dead.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 25, 2014 11:11 pm

He can crawl through barbed wire, he ain't getting anymore chocolate.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 26, 2014 7:32 am

Terry. on your A/C, You ought to have your idle air control valve looked at, also. It is what recovers your engine idle speed to it's proper level when stressed.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon May 26, 2014 12:07 pm

Constant cycling of compressor is a 90+% indication of low charge... A cheap set of gauges and a can of refrigerant will probably cost 1/2 of what a shop is gonna charge you..

As mentioned the IAC is supposed to steady idle speed so it's possibly dirty, or may be that it just can't keep up with the constant cycling, may not really be a problem....
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon May 26, 2014 12:58 pm

35Z5 wrote:Constant cycling of compressor is a 90+% indication of low charge... A cheap set of gauges and a can of refrigerant will probably cost 1/2 of what a shop is gonna charge you..

As mentioned the IAC is supposed to steady idle speed so it's possibly dirty, or may be that it just can't keep up with the constant cycling, may not really be a problem....

Thanks- I'll have my nephew check that out when he does the shocks. I'm also going to have him try and check the lead from the tank too. When this happened before the gauge wouldn't move. Now it goes way past full when I first start it. Then it goes all over the place. I'm thinking that it might not be in the tank. I have two copies of the Haynes manual plus a book with all of the wiring diagrams.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 26, 2014 5:27 pm

Washed and waxed the Mustang today and trimmed the cactus, getting rid of the frostbit lobes and the ones hanging too far outboard. It is putting out a lot of lobes and blossoms. I'm getting a good potful of morning glories too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon May 26, 2014 9:54 pm

My garden failed miserably. The broccoli didn't come up and only one tomato plant is still alive but hasn't grown an inch. Oh well, maybe next year.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 31, 2014 5:08 pm

Installed my genuine simulated woodgrain Eddie Bauer dashboard trim to replace the broken in half original that had the mounting tabs broken off and thoughtfully replaced with folded pieces of double stick foam. It is real nice to have the trim not flopping around on the dashboard. Afterward, I got a bottle of Meguiars polishing liquid and managed to bring up a gloss on the truck with my orbital polisher. Afterward I used Turtle Wax color back liquid wax and rubbing compound to wax it. If that doesn't make it rain, nothing will. Also had to get a new wireless mouse at Big Lots to replace the dearly departed.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 31, 2014 5:38 pm

I will observe a moment of silence in memory of your late, dearly departed mouse.

You DO realize, of course, that you did all that waxing and hard work on your truck at the start of hurricane season. You will be lucky to escape with merely rain!  lol! 

WC

Last edited by Wildcat445 on Sat May 31, 2014 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat May 31, 2014 6:04 pm

Isn't there a suction device, (Not a plumbers helper), that will pull out a dent in the rear side panel of my truck.  The person in the Kroger parking lot conveniently left with out saying "Sorry".

I was once given a company station wagon that looked like crap.  Over a weekend I used compound and then three coats of Turtle Wax.  It glowed like a diamond.  The best test?  My boss couldn't pick it out in the parking lot.

Garden update. I got some new tomato plants and let them grow for awhile under a light in the back room. They went into the ground today-with a lot of love and encouragement.  We'll, (well mostly I'll), see.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 31, 2014 7:24 pm

I picked this one by it's feedback rating: http://www.amazon.com/Dent-Out-Cross-Ding-Repair/dp/B0006FKFMC/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1401574682&sr=1-2&keywords=dent+puller+kit
The skies have just opened up and the thunder and lightning is rippin' it up too
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat May 31, 2014 10:47 pm

Thanks for the effort but I think that we are talking about two different things. I have a dent about 3'X4'. I know there must be suction things that work like my mini bench vise that can pop it right out. I pump this little lever and the vise is held by suction to the bench and won't move unless I reverse the process. Too bad my vise is too small. If fact I did once see my grandfather pop out a dent like this with a plumber's helper. I think they made them stronger then. Mine didn't work. Oh well, maybe Monday I'll call a rental place.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by kb4yrc on Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:48 pm

I remember several years ago, washing my car..... within 2 hours, it was raining ! ..... Next week end I washed & waxed it. .... Within 2 hours, we had a hail storm! ..... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:41 pm

Washed and waxed the truck and had to get another mouse.  the one I had gotten was relatively flat and rectangular and caused my hand to lock up while using it.  I found another with more of a ladybug shape and it is about 2/3 the size of a typical mouse.  It is a lot easier on the hand.  Had to get another solar battery maintainer for the vehicle that is parked.  The old one had one connection come apart from the array.  If I had some conductive adhesive I could've fixed it But at least Harbor Frieght had the maintainers on sale for $14.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:01 am

Finally got the pieces parts and portions to put the spare tire in its' place. I want to get that done, take out the cracked plastic liner in the bed and paint one in.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:08 pm

I believe that there is special thick paint that leave a rubberized surface.  But I could be wrong.

My spare tire fits in a basket below the gas tank.  It has, like everything else on the under carriage, rusted out. I don't need it right now since my spare tire and wheel were stolen during my move and I can't afford a new one. I was supposed to have my front shocks replaced today but the bolts are welded in by rust.  

The prevailing theory is that the truck sat for a long time, probably in a field.  This would account for the fact that I've spent over two thousand dollars taking care of stuff that should been normal maintenance.

Keep us posted and check into that rubberized coating.
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:00 pm

That is what I intend on using. I am looking at the reviews on each product. A quick gloss had some bad comments on a couple of brands, mainly in application problems. I'm glad I don't live in salt country any more. I get a blast from the past whenever a rusty unit shows up down here
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:25 pm

I painted over my rusty bed with several cans of Rustoleum
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:46 pm

Searched all over Saturday for a spare tire and rim. Also removed one of my wheels to see if the old steel rim from my bronco II would fit. The lug pattern didn't match. I had to use 3 different deep well sockets to remove the mixed up nuts with the close tolerance openings in my wheel. Bought a new set of spline drive nuts. Glad I did that before an emergency cropped up.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum