Such a good dog

Go down

Such a good dog Empty Such a good dog

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:57 am

We have a little white rescue mutt named Bentley. We found him in a snowbank in January 2009. Bentley is a mixture of poodle, Maltese and Havanese. He thinks he is human. I have had lots of dogs, had lots of smart dogs, but Bentley is special. THE most precocious animal I have ever seen. Bentley was so close to having frozen to death that he is fortunate to still be here. He was born in a puppy mill in Missouri. Probably a family got him for Christmas, he made a mess in the house, so they dumped him. Bentley had never had a bath or been on a lead before we got him. He was not house broken. He was about six months old. He is now spoiled rotten, beyond redemption. He weighs 16 pounds, but thinks he is a pitbull.

Bentley does really nothing wrong. He is so rigidly oriented that he refuses any change in routine. He must be fed in my bathroom, door closed, light on, on the dark red rug, in a yellow Fiestaware bowl. Do not try to alter any of this. Bentley knows the difference. He will not eat, or he will scratch at the door until you take remedial action. He gets a small white pill each morning for skin allergies. He will pick this tiny white pill out of his kibble, deposit the pill on the furthermost corner of his rug, and proceed to chow down. This happens every morning. When he scratches at the door, signaling he is done, I bring a chunk of jack cheese, again no substitutions, put the pill inside, and he swallows it. Done.

Bentley, like most small dogs, is a yapper. We have pitbulls in this community whose owners think they are above the rules. These dogs run loose. Bentley thinks that since he is on a leash, why ain't they? When he sees them, he yaps like crazy. They turn toward him and he wants me to pick him up to protect him. And get me potentially dogbit. Phooey on that. Bentley is now in intensive training to learn not to yap. I got him a body harness, so that I can make correction without fear of injuring him. He is doing better. I correct him when he yaps at other dogs or people unless commanded that it is okay. Our Golden Retriever is really good at this. Bentley has a ways to go.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Such a good dog Empty Re: Such a good dog

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:34 pm

What Bentley does with the pills reminds me of what my beagle used to do when I was young. We used to feed him table scraps back it the day. When we would give him left over chilli he would move the beans around eating only the meat. Then he would lick all of the sauce for the dish and off of the beans. He would walk away leaving a clean dish and clean beans. It was really something to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 pm

Yep, Bentley deposits a perfectly clean white pill on the rug. The frau says that he hid his pill under the corner of the rug awhile back. He hasn't done that for me. YET. He will get scolded if that happens and I see it. Bentley knows when he does wrong. I can see it in his eyes. It's amazing. Dogs are allegedly dumb animals. Dr. Phil says they can't understand human talk. Dr. Phil, perhaps, has never owned a dog. They understand. More than we know.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:43 pm

We just got a puppy about two weeks ago and it is obvious who is training who.  Smile  Sounds like Bentley went to the same school. Wink 
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:03 am

For a dog that has had no formal training, Bentley is amazing. Our Golden Retriever went thru companion dog school, and we think that Bentley follows her lead. He heels, he sits, he comes, all that. He just started doing it one day on his own.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:12 am

Happy dogs who love you because you treat them right don't really need much training.  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:53 pm

Bentley does not like snow. When it snows, he gets terrified. He remembers being dumped and almost dying in the snow. He does not like being left alone. If it were not for Ginger, we would have to take him everywhere we go.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:03 pm

Pets add so much to one's life. I am just borrowing God's pets. They don't want to be touched and I can't touch them (allergies) so it works out. I put out a can of cat food every other day and Mr. cat and his little sister share it out.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:17 pm

I do a lot of telephone work in assisted living facilities, they always have pets around because it is therapeutic.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:41 pm

I do a lot of telephone work in assisted living facilities, they always have pets around because it is therapeutic.

Yep, unconditional love...nothing beats that.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:44 pm

It also gives a sense of purpose to ones' day to day existence.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:25 am

People who abuse animals will have a hotter spot in "you-know-where."  Evil or Very Mad 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:25 am

Wildcat445 wrote:People who abuse animals will have a hotter spot in "you-know-where."   Evil or Very Mad 

Regards

WC

Agreed!  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:35 pm

My 1.5 year old black lab Jake was thrown from a moving car in front of a person who does dog rescue. When I got him, he was deaf and covered with road rash. He was on antibiotics for the rash and we figured he had a bad ear infection as his hearing came back after 2 weeks of having him.
The other day he would not listen and come in the house and kept digging in the snow. I went to check on him and he was trying to get that dollar froze in the snow!!!!! It is his dollar and he is going to donate it to our animal rescue!!!
Oh well I now have a wonderful dog who is also known as the dog park play director!!

scottb

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:55 pm

Good for you and the dog, Scott. When we were looking to adopt, we went to several area shelters and they sure were depressing. Wish I had the room to adopt several. At one shelter the lady said they had dogs there for several years and some even die of old age...never adopted. Sad 
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Bentley is my second rescue dog. A purebred animal is okay, but, for the sheer ability to love and be loved, rescue animals cannot be beat.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:43 am

The little dogs are quite the yappers.....but oh so clever!
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:50 am

My wonderful, loving dog Diamond, was a highly abused dog in the neighborhood.. They finally got rid of her to me because they grew tired of her. She was used as a puppy mill while still a puppy herself, she was starved, dying of thirst, beaten, kicked, stored in garage, left in the rain.. She was skin, and, bones when I got her, and, flea bitten...
She is now a happy, healthy, very well loved member of the family.......

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:52 am

You did a good thing Bill and now you're rewarded with love!  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:54 am

Protective, loving, playful, and, she adores Cheetos.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 am

Bentley is the first one to the trough if we have cheese. Jack is his favorite, but Colby-jack is okay in a pinch. He will ride on his "buggy" (golf cart) until the wheels fall off.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:46 am

I had a cat that would stand in front of the refrigerator and meow very loudly until you gave him a piece of cheese. All the other cats would be on the back porch eating. They would all come running out of the barn when they heard the lid come off of the food can.

Those little buggers are smart!  lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down