Old People

Go down

Old People Empty Old People

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:10 am

I work part time in retail. I work with a young man who is a college student. His name is Mike and he is just a good kid. He is quiet, well-spoken and respectful. With all the twits like Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber getting all the press, it is comforting to know that there are kids like Mike in the world and that the future is in good hands.

I was getting ready to close this evening, when an older man and lady came into my department. He was dressed in a blue, pin-striped, three piece suit with a red tie and a red handkerchief in his pocket and a red carnation in the lapel. The lady was dressed to the nines with her pearl necklace and a diamond big enough to choke a horse. She had on a corsage of red carnations. The lady approached me and said "Excuse me, young man, would you be good enough to tell me where I could find the ricotta cheese?" I asked her to follow me, and we went about 10 steps, I reached up on the shelf, got her a container of ricotta cheese and handed it to her. She asked if I had a smaller size, so I handed her the 8 oz, size. We made small talk, when Mike asked them where they were going all dressed up and looking so nice. "We are celebrating our wedding anniversary", says she, proud as a peacock. " I have put up with this old man for 65 years. March 15, 19 and 49, it was. Seems like two weeks ago." I pointed out that today was only the 12th and she explained that "the kids" were having a reception for them on Saturday, the 15th, but they wanted to go out just the two of them. They had been to a popular steak house. The man walked with a cane and the lady's steps were choppy and uneven. The lady held the man's hand or had her arm thru his as they walked thru the store.

Mike made the remark that old people should not "make out" in public. And that old people making love was such a repugnant thought that he would puke if he ever saw that. Remembering that Mike was 20 years old, and was considered to be a good kid, I really was taken aback by his seemingly insensitive remark. Then I got to thinking, remembering that I was 20 not that long ago. I felt exactly the same way. I was embarrassed when grandpa would try to "make out" with grandma at the frozen custard stand, sitting in their big Buick and just appreciating that they were together.

I asked Mike what he thought that the old man and lady had been thru in 65 years. Had one or both of them had a serious illness? Had they suffered a heartache that they struggled with? Could they still do for themselves? They obviously were happily married. In spite of their challenges, they still were close enough to want to hold hands.

Mike turned to me and said" Well, I learned something tonight." What's that, I asked. "Young love is a wonderful thing. Something I will remember the rest of my life. There is only one thing better to look forward to." What is that, I asked. "Old love."

Yep, the world will be in good hands, after all.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Old People Empty Re: Old People

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:53 am

An Excellent sentiment.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:54 pm

Great story and there are a lot of great younger people out there. They just don't get the attention and exposure that the "others" get. Just look at the military for some examples.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down