New volume/power switch on Zenith 10S567

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New volume/power switch on Zenith 10S567

Post by xjyamaha on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 am

Got a new volume/power switch and have it installed on my Zenith 10S567, which has also had all tubes tested and capacitors replaced, but I have apparently hit a snag somewhere along the way. The radio powers on fine, but it doesn't seem to want to pick up stations now. It would before when the switch actually would work 1 out of 10 times I tried, but now nothing. I did switch from a 6 pot to 5 pot replacement. My tap 1 goes to the phono plug like before. Tap 2 goes to the tone switch. Low side grounds to a chassis post via a capacitor, and my wiper goes to a chassis post via a resistor. What i'm struggling with also is my "high side" connection as when I wire it to the detector tube the radio has a very loud hum. Anyone know where I may have gone wrong here? Thanks!

xjyamaha

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-03-11

Back to top Go down

Re: New volume/power switch on Zenith 10S567

Post by xjyamaha on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:39 am

Guess I should say there is also a micamold connected between the "high side" post and tone 2 post.

xjyamaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:49 am

The micamold could be shorted.
You may have wired control incorrectly. The low side going to ground through a capacitor doesn't sound right.
Have you looked at Nostalgia Air??
I'm certain that model is in there.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by xjyamaha on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:56 am

I guess my mistake; my low side goes to the phono plug and tap 1 goes to a post on the chassis. I do have a schematic but am still pretty new to radio renovation so they aren't a lot of help....

xjyamaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:49 pm

Hopefully this will help;

This is for a 10A1 chassis that should be correct for your radio, although I didn't see the '567 specifically listed.

I don't know what your experience is, you stated you're pretty new to old radio restorations. I don't want to sound mean, but you picked a doozy of a radio to work on as a beginner Shocked
Have you worked on simpler sets to work your way up? It's something I recommend. Smile 

The "mess" is the fact the original volume control is tapped in 2 places to allow for tone compensation with the circuitry connected in to Zenith's Radio Organ Tone control (pushbuttons to allow different capacitors in and out of circuit for different tone qualities). The wiper should be connected to "C11" which couples it to the audio amp circuitry. 

This radio uses dual 6X5 rectifiers. 1 is bad enough, but 2 is double trouble. These are prone to shorting out and damaging the marginally-built Zenith power transformers. What was recommended back in the day was install (2) #47 pilot lamps in series with each leg of the high voltage winding of the transformer. These will "pop" or act like a fuse if the worst-case scenario happens.

Also, this radio can be dangerous as there is coupling capacitor from one side of the power line to ground. It's a small value, but if it shorts, it's an issue. I'm assuming you've replaced it with a new unit already. A safety rated "Y" cap would ideal for this location.

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by xjyamaha on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:24 pm

Yeah, I've read elsewhere this is a bad unit as a first, and I am definitely a beginner. I do have a schematic, but it's still quite foreign to me. Been looking through pictures I've found and comparing.

xjyamaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:46 pm

Well, if this is your very first radio, I might suggest putting it to the side and focusing on some simpler table model radios of later years to build your confidence and experience up. I've always advised against newbies tackling the 1930s and 1940s radios with transformers due to the high voltage (much higher voltages than what is coming out of the wall outlet to run the circuitry) and the complexities with repairs.

Nothing wrong with wanting to tackle this, just don't want to damage the radio beyond repair, or worse, "damaging" yourself.

We're happy to help with what we can.

Here's a link to my step-by-step resto that can be helpful to those new to the hobby.

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t1915-step-by-step-restoration-ge-t-106c-let-s-go-for-it

If you like reading, I highly suggest trying to find a copy of "Elements of Radio Servicing" by Marcus and Levy. (try eBay). Very good information.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top