Spark Plug options

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Spark Plug options

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:33 pm

No, but I remember Rex Harrison selling the only car I ever saw that would rust through the tops of its' fenders!  Laughing 
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 pm

MEZLAW wrote:Do you remember the Chrysler commercials with Arthur Godfree spraying a fire hose under the hood of a new car and then the car starting right up.

That hose must've been hooked up to a BIG can of starting fluid!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:37 pm

I was also going to say that it can help to put a bit of anti seize on the plug threads.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:47 pm

75X11 wrote:
MEZLAW wrote:Do you remember the Chrysler commercials with Arthur Godfree spraying a fire hose under the hood of a new car and then the car starting right up.

That hose must've been hooked up to a BIG can of starting fluid!

lol! lol! lol! lol! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:20 pm

I am not much of a Chrysler fan, but the Chrysler flatheads of the earlier times were hard to beat. Water-proof ignition systems were available, and you could literally allow the engine to run underwater, as long as the intake and exhaust were above water. Ricardo What's-His-Name also advertised Chrysler Cordobas with "Corinthian Leather" interiors. They were total heaps of garbage cars.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:49 pm

The fantasy Island guy!  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:25 pm

When we lived in Phoenix, we had a neighbor who owned a '79 Cordoba. The Thermo-Quad carburetor on those was notorious for flooding, especially with oxygenated fuels. His was black with black Corinthian leather interior. I was getting ready for work one day, and smelled something funny. Then I heard some God-awful yelling. I looked out the front window, and saw thick black smoke. That silly Cordoba was sitting out in his driveway, fully engulfed in fire. The guy was sitting behind the wheel, paralyzed with fear. I stuck the garden hose in the window and squirted him real good. I dragged him out of the burning wreck. By the time the Fire Dept got there, it was burned to the ground. About ten feet from the corner of my house. I squirted my house to keep it from getting on fire. The guy threatened to sue me for getting his good clothes wet and getting the dashboard of his car wet! True story.  Rolling Eyes 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:01 pm

Yow!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:18 am

The car fire did about $10,000 worth of damage to our house. The garage door melted, it scorched the paint, buckled the shingles on one corner of our garage, but the house did not go up. We were fortunate. Had I not been home, that old fool could have died in that car, since the power windows and locks would not work, and nobody would have sprayed water on our house. We were both very fortunate. The house was slump block and stucco. Had it been frame, it would have gone up.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:52 am

I hope he wasn't your neighbor for long!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:16 am

He had been our neighbor for about 10 years at that time. The man was a Korean War vet with PTSD. When he started drinking, it would interfere with his meds and he would act crazy. He would get this BB gun out, dress in army fatigues, and "patrol" the alley behind our house. He would shout out orders, and "call in incoming" like in the war. He had this old roach Cordoba, and it was not in very good condition. He thought it was a Rolls-Royce. He had bought it new, so I can understand his attachment to it. He did not have the money to have it properly serviced. There had been minor carburetor fires on the car in the past, and I kept warning him that the thing was going to go up for good in the future. He started it up and backed out of his carport before it went up. Had it caught fire in his carport, we would have both lost our homes, and, quite possibly, him his life. It had a 400 engine with that early Lean Burn system. The neighbor across the street put the engine out of that old scorched Cordoba in his Dodge truck, and, as far as I know, may still be driving it.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:36 pm

You both lucky to not loose your homes.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Old Mr. Lee had some major image polishing to do when he stepped up to the plate. I still have some of his commercials on my betamax tapes.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:48 am

I do have a question related to my car, not about spark plugs though but i rather not open a new thread just to ask this. It has to do with my radio. What would cause the radio and cassette player to be full of static all the time? I just replaced the rear speakers with new ones since the factory ones were about done. (Mods/admin, if you rather me open a new thread to ask this, i will)
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:58 am

What kind of static? Does it sound like a motor boat idling? Does it have a whine that increases in pitch as you accelerate the engine? Does it have static with the engine off?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:02 am

Factory radio?

The Delco's of that era are prone to solder joints going intermittent and needing touching up on the rear connections, top board and side control boards.

Did you use 4 ohm speakers? Many GM cars still used 10 ohm speakers (even though they were built long after the era of germanium output transistors) to keep power levels down for less burden on the output ICs. Just food for thought if you don't want more issues down the road.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:15 am

It is when I first turn it on. Its more like pops and crackles. Static even with the engine off. It is the factory radio that was probably installed in 1987. It is a 4 ohm system,I've never seen any vehicle with any higher impedance speakers. The speakers i removed were Delco brand made in Japan with red labels on the magnets. I have pulled many sets of speakers out of older GM's and never seen speakers like them. I am mainly curious because i don't want future issues when I put an aftermarket radio in it in the near future. Usually I am OK with factory radios as long as they sound decent but the static isn't something i like hearing.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:50 am

I had an '86 Olds that would generate some noise with the engine off from the auto reverse cassette deck. It would sometimes even run with no cassette in. I would get pops and clicks and could just see the arrows showing the auto reverse engaging. It was a Toronado with a console set up that couldn't be replaced except with another used unit. If this is your case, you might find a replacement on Ebay.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:18 am

I have a 1982 Chevy C10 pickup and the radio does the same thing. If I punch the dash board it clears up. I've thought for some time it's poor solder joints as Doc said. I've been meaning to take it out and go over the joints for some time now. Now that I know these radios are prone to this I'm sure it's my problem. Maybe when the warm weather gets here I'll take it out and fix it.

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:32 pm

I figured it was just a poor design. In the Regals from 88-94 they all had tuners pretty much built into the dash and the cassette player under the dash above the ashtray. While both can be replaced,its not something i myself want to do. There is one on ebay and apparently it is 3 pieces. The cassette deck, the tuner itself and the controls for the tuner. So If i were to get it i'd have to someone install it and its just not worth that cost. I would be better off putting in an aftermarket CD player which would go in place of the cassette deck. Here is the link to the factory radio that fits my car on ebay, however mine doesnt have the knobs, its all buttons. http://www.ebay.com/itm/88-89-90-91-92-BUICK-REGAL-AM-FM-CASSETTE-RADIO-/121084678242?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c31359062&vxp=mtr
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:55 pm

I forgot it was one of those "wonderful" 3 piece units. Yuk. Don't even waste your time. When I was an auto radio repair technician, when those came into the shop, we'd pretty much swap it out with a remanufactured unit from an authorized distributor. They were nothing but trouble. The "brain box" and the "head unit" were both troublesome and sometimes a pain to troubleshoot. Usually the main board in the "brain box" would go flaky with intermittent power losses and the boards were covered in a conformal coating making a reliable "dig" to get any questionable solder joints an impossibility. Many GM Trucks also used that remote tape deck, brain box and head unit. An even worse unit was what looked like a regular in-dash GM radio, but it was assembled out of these same basic piece parts. The tape decks in those were almost always a disaster, and you needed the patience of a Nun to disassemble them without loosing track of how everything interconnected and mechanically aligned. Not a shining spot in the history of GM radios.
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:02 pm

Oh, and I forgot, to really make things fun....one day a Buick? Regatta? Came into the shop. It had the seldom seem GM "touch screen" computer system. You could control your HVAC, radio and other vehicle components thru that little monochrome screen mounted between the dash and the console. Guess what. The heart of the radio was the same piece of crap "brain box" used in so many other GM multi-piece radios of the same era.
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:34 pm

The Toro had those too. A perfect example of mans' reach exceeding his grasp. Another thing I now remember that would induce noise on the stereo's audio would be the side terminal batteries slowly leaking at the terminals, corroding and losing proper connection.The doctor is right on the radio being a hopeless cause. It would be better to work out how to adapt your dash to accept an aftermarket stereo.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:20 pm

So, in other words those radios were not only a bad design,they were junk.. I have plans to get rid of it and put a aftermarket in. I plan to get the kit and wiring adapter off of ebay for around 21.00 which is the same thing I would get from the place I am going to have do it. Which is a local automotive electronic dealer that has been in business for 20+ years. All you have to do to change the factory radio is remove the cassette deck and unhook the wires from the "radio" face that is actually in the dash. Then the aftermarket goes in place of the cassette deck under the dash. The "radio" can be removed and a pocket put in place that was originally for cassette storage.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:50 pm

A wiring adapter is a good way to go. I know too many folk who think the best part about installing an aftermarket radio is to cut the harness willy nilly and then guess how it went together. Then, if they can get it to work afterward they have had a rewarding experience.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top