RCA Loop antennas

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RCA Loop antennas

Post by Ed in W. PA on Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:13 am

I have noticed on the RCA radio (16X4) that I am presently working on there is a small, flat and apparently honeycomb wound coil mounted inside the main loop antenna. It's function appears to be to induce a signal from a external antenna into the main loop. Looks like a nice feature. I'm new to the hobby and am curious to know more about these. Do other brands use these?

Ed in W. PA

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2014-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: RCA Loop antennas

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Assuming I am looking at the right schematic (seems this model could've had pushbutton presets or no presets), it looks like a simple way to couple an external antenna to the receiver's built in loop without "altering" what the RF amp "sees" circuit-wise so its characteristics stay the same.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:40 pm

Oops, I guess I really didn't answer your question. Yes, other manufacturers used similar means to couple external antenna configurations. Most didn't put that much effort into them as a lot isn't needed, but RCA had the manufacturing equipment, the engineers and the money to spend, so they typically "over-did" even simple things.  Wink
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 936
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top