FM Stereo research

View previous topic View next topic Go down

FM Stereo research

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:56 am

I am researching the history of FM stereo. I need some information, not from a broadcasting standpoint, but from a receiving standpoint.

As you may be aware, FM Stereo broadcasting was approved by the FCC in April of 1961, and broadcasting started in June, 1961. There were five or six systems considered for the final official version, but a system developed by GE and Zenith was adopted. These were actually two separate systems, but they were nearly identical technically, so the final result was an amalgamation of the two systems. Magnavox equipped its 1961 model instruments with an FM stereo compatible tuner and offered a plug-in multiplex adapter as a factory option or as a dealer installed item. Magnavox did not offer a full-stereo FM tuner until the introduction of its Astro-Sonic solid state models in late 1963. My question is what did RCA, Zenith, GE, Motorola, Fisher, and Capehart, specifically, do as manufacturers to accommodate the new FM stereo signal? Did they offer multiplex adapters, ala Magnavox? When did they offer full-stereo FM tuners? Did they provide FM stereo retrofits for older instruments? We could also include the manufacturers of component stereo equipment here, if anyone has any information. Marantz, Harmon-Kardon, Fisher, names like that. This may not be the end of my inquiry, but good information here will certainly be appreciated and will get me started in the right direction. Thank you all for your consideration.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: FM Stereo research

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:24 am

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232971

Good info, and a starting point.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:25 am

Perfect, Doc.  I was hoping you would jump on this one.  I was looking for something like that, but as usual.......Thank you.

An interesting, and odd, fact that I have discovered is that GE was never considered a competent contender in high-end stereo.  GE developed the variable-reluctance cartridge that was used by makes of quality equipment.  GE was on the forefront of FM stereo development.  Yet GE was considered by most to be a poor cousin of RCA.  RCA did nothing to enhance this reputation, since the largest electronics company ever created dropped the ball on not only FM stereo, but stereophonic development period.  It preferred to concentrate on TV in general and color TV in specific, during the period of early stereo FM.  RCA made no serious efforts with FM stereo until the introduction of the New Vista instruments, in late 1963.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top