ARF

Go down

ARF

Post by Stan Ski on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 pm

Just had thought if ARF does not get any better like we were told it was going to. Maybe it will just take time for us to get used to this new place. People do not like changes
Stan Ski

Stan Ski

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2008-05-17

Back to top Go down

Re: ARF

Post by tube radio on Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:07 pm

I could get used to it.

Lee

tube radio

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-07-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:21 am

Just remember No Holds bard when it comes to discussing radio, and its quirks Suspect Just another friendly radio forum at heart.
Give us a try, you'll like it. We Hope Very Happy
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:49 am

Well, not quite. Please be polite, no swearing, and, no firewars.

Looks like Alan has changed the format of the forums.
Now, it's blue, and, white.
It may not stay that way, though....
Bill Cahill Shocked

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4577

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:12 am

Hi all,

I've seen that format on a couple of other forums I belong to.

If it's the same type, It's a fairly smooth one to use once you get used to it. Mind you, that's just my experience. Others could have different opinions.

Cheers for now.............Bob
ve1arn

Number of posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:04 am

I have not yet visited, but it sounds like possibly Alan is using a newer version of software.

I sincerely hope he succeeds in getting ARF running reliably. I have mixed feelings here. On one hand I prefer to see one big single forum where everybody resides, like one big happy family. On the other, it's always good to have a little competition. If one site runs better than another, the lousy one needs to either fix the problems or die. If one board is better moderated than another -- not too lenient and not too restrictive -- it will also become more popular and changes will be made to stay alive.

I thoroughly enjoy using ARF, with the exception of the technical problems that Alan will hopefully fix. Moderation? I personally have no complaints with either of these boards.

But then there's RAR+P. Wonderful people there that have become my cyber-friends. Yet for every legitimate message about radios, it seems there are 15 messages of spam, trolls, or just plain junk to sift through. It also becomes quite argumentive at times, where I, or others, can easily get lambasted for asking a legitimate question. Yet it seems many of these people are determined to remain no matter what. They frequently use the line, "You need to have thick skin to live here." Just because I think I can survive living inside a smelly dumpster, shall I choose to live there? Many ISP's have shut off access to Usenet either partially or fully; it is a dinosaur, and unlike our radios there is nothing desirable or collectible about it. Friends, drop the dinosaur and come to the forums. We ARE living in the 21st century now.
Gary Tayman

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:55 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Well, not quite. Please be polite, no swearing, and, no firewars.

Well of course that goes without saying!

What I meant by no holds bard, ( and I should have been more explicit, was that all radio topics could go into great or UN-complex detail, or just simple or detailed questions ) and of course no questions will be ridiculed as the only stupid questions are ones that ain't asked. We are here for the camaraderie and learning and experience to help each other, and ourselves too.

And one of the benefits is that we learn to express ourselves and communicate intelligently.

elephant We all Learn study study study study

So have fun instructing, and larn larn larn!!!! Sleep Surprised clown Suspect
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:59 pm

I wonder what is going on with ARF. It has been down a week now, and I know it doesn't take a week to move all the forum files to a new server.

Back to top Go down

Post by dorpmuller on Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:32 pm

moses_007 wrote:I wonder what is going on with ARF. It has been down a week now, and I know it doesn't take a week to move all the forum files to a new server.

Fine with me though... let 'im take more time and do it up right. Anything to not have the former problems!

Rich
dorpmuller

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:23 pm

You know guys, this ARF doesn't cost you anything. You get a lot of information and help there. Alan is not being paid by us to do what he does. I don't understand where we come off being so critical and how we know that it is taking too long. Is this Alan's only task this week? Does he have a penalty clause if he doesn't get the server up and running when some of our impatient members think it should be done?

It will be done when it is done....

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 112

Back to top Go down

Post by easyrider8 on Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:39 pm

Many of us invested a lot of money into ARF over the years. The server was paid for with fund raisers, as were many other things, I wouldn't consider it a free forum. Many of us slacked off on the donations due to the poor performance of the site, when it was working good I didn't mind donating.

Dave
easyrider8

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:32 pm

I was one that donated. And I still feel the same. I just don't understand all of the complaining. And, I don't see many of us just running over to help Alan...

Don Cavey

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnesotaHam on Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:35 pm

I donated a few times too though if it were all over right now, I still feel I more than got my money's worth. Alan owes me nothing, rather I am indebted to the membership at large.

After seven days though I do wish there was a status page to keep us informed as to the progress of the move. Perhaps one of the anointed few could post something here?

MinnesotaHam

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:28 pm

I know of NO annointed few.
As for slowness, Alan is doing the best he can. That I'm sure of.
I have an inkling I may know what the problem is, but, I don't wish to hazzard a guess, and, may be completely wrong.
As for donations, Alan NEVER asked for any. He has ALWAYS only accepted free donations with no wires attatched.
He spends alot of time, and, money on that site.
I think we should ALL be grateful to Alan for that site.
We have a wonderful group of people there, and, a pretty darned good host, if you ask me!!!!
I say, CUT the griping!
Bill Cahill Smile

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4577

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:52 pm

Point well taken Bill.
Alan Is a good guy, and I have patience.
It will be worth it.
So no grousing Here from Me, and "BE HAPPY, DON'T WORRY" Suspect
Resistance is Futile

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:13 am

Bill Cahill wrote:I know of NO annointed few.....
I say, CUT the griping!
Bill Cahill Smile

I think that sums up my feeling as well. I have more than gotten my donation's worth of answers here. I have always felt like I don't contribute enough because I am a hobbyist and not an engineer.

OT, at least at ARF and here, we have a following of fact givers, not the hype and pomp given by some members of another site. We try to steer each other in the correct direction. Most answers are based in fact and not ridiculous subjectivity. When one gives an opinion, it is just that, an opinion and so stated.

Again, thanks for all of the help that you guys have given me and thanks to Alan for his work. I truly appreciate it and when the new stuff is working, it will be welcome.

Don Cavey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum