Dealing With ARF Being Temporarily Down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dealing With ARF Being Temporarily Down - Page 2 Empty Re: Dealing With ARF Being Temporarily Down

Post by Badrestorer on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:19 pm

I knew I'd find you guys here. You're a bunch of addicted vintage electronic sickos. Hmmmm...me too. Laughing

Regards,
John

Badrestorer

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-07-05

Back to top Go down

Dealing With ARF Being Temporarily Down - Page 2 Empty Re: Dealing With ARF Being Temporarily Down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:59 pm

About time you showed up John.

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:31 am

Here's what I don't quite understand: (being fairly new to ARF)
Does Alan actually post and use ARF?

Some of you guys have been members for years and years over there; is anyone actually friends with Alan?

Does anyone actually speak to him on.....say, on the phone?

Has anyone actually met Alan?

If yes to the above, why doesn't someone just call him and ask how it's going? Then give us periodic updates.

If NO to all the above, how do we know Alan really exists? Perhaps it's like some twisted Twilight Zone episode where he isn't a real person but the "personality" of the ARF server itself! Shocked

PS- Where is Curt? My guess would be a 12-step program or an AFR-anan meeting somewhere in Idaho. Very Happy
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:38 am

Alan rarely talks on the phone, but, I have talked with him in the past, so, yes, he exists!
Yes, he has been doing some posting, as well.....
Bill Cahill Smile

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:20 am

Glad to hear that Bill. cheers If memory serves me, there was at least one Star Trek episode where a "computer" took-over as the leader of a planet or two.
It reminds me of a guy that I know. He owns one of the best repeater systems in the NY, NJ, PA area. It gets tons of use, is linked to 4 bands, has phone patch, voting receivers, echo-link, etc. It's probably the most used machine around, but you never hear him use it. He works very hard to keep it running well, maintains it better than a life-support system, and has poured a good amount of money into it.
I've known him for many years. For him, the design and maintenance is what is "fun" to him. As long as folks are using and enjoying it, he's happy. Thank goodness for us, there are people like him and Alan around.
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:57 am

If I may add a comment or two . . .

Indeed Alan uses his forum possibly as much as any of us. Although the site is presently down, I can be safe in assuming he's doing his best. If there is somebody else out there who has knowledge/experience that can be used to expedite the process, I can be safe in assuming he's already consulted him/them. I have no complaints about downtime other then my own selfish desires, and when it returns I hope everyone out there will appreciate the service more than ever.

Also, don't overlook THIS forum! Thanks to the moderator here, and to a number of dedicated people who continue to do their best to forward the hobby and historic preservation, the interruption certainly appears minimal. We've got a lot to be thankful for!
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Number of posts : 47

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 am

Gary Tayman wrote:If I may add a comment or two . .

.... We've got a lot to be thankful for!

I think that Gary has expressed my feelings very accurately. It really shows how much we "junkies" like this stuff. Thanks to the Olds man for having created what I will now call a "Sister Site", kinda like the BAMA mirror site..

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:18 am

I can't understand what is taking so long. I'm a member of another forum that moved to a new server last year, and that forum was down about one day. I see no reason it takes over a week to move a website, no matter what it is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Cavey on Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:30 am

I'll say no more...

Don Cavey

Number of posts : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by dschulma on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:16 pm

I'll echo Don's comments...and add a couple of my own for the more impatient folks out there. First, ARF is free, if we were paying for the service, thats a different story. Also, Alan probably has other responsibilities such as family, a job, etc...he probably does not devote himself 24/7 to the board, thus, things may take some time. I'd much rather have the conversion done correctly, than have it done hastily, with more issues down the road.

dschulma

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2009-01-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mbird97x on Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Quite possibly Alan has run into a problem and since the site is down, he has no method of informing us. We must be patient in his endeavours. Sure, we all miss it but how good will it be to have it back up and better?
mbird97x
mbird97x

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:38 pm

New note posted by Alan Vorhees
Hope you don't mind my posting Alan:

Alan Voorhees
Site Admin

Posted: Feb Mon 09, 2009 11:29 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, we're back ... but will be going away again this weekend.

Once the site was shut down, backing up the database in order to transfer everything to the new server wouldn't work. Turned out to be an issue with the server itself. After trying three different methods to export the data, it was determined that was corrupted somewhere on the server.

Some things were reinstalled, but the issue persists.This weekend the forums will be shut down again and a major reinstallation and configuration of software will be done in order to extract the data. I've got a guy who works for Dreamworks animation (before that Industrial Light and Magic) who is going to take care of whatever is needed, so it should take a couple days at most, but then, like this time, one never knows.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum