Battery Superhets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Battery Superhets

Post by kent3256 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Since finding Scott sets (my main love) is getting harder and harder, a few years ago I started picking up an occasional 1920s superhet. I was recently lucky enough to find a really great set, an HFL Isotone 10. In 40+ years collecting, I have never seen another one. Outside of a couple of period magazine articles and a schematic in Riders, I have nothing else on it. If anyone can add to what is known, I'd appreciate it!

http://i56.servimg.com/u/f56/18/75/67/25/hfl_is11.jpg
kent3256

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-02-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Battery Superhets

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:08 pm

That's a beauty Kent. Did you have a lot of cosmetic work to do, or was it "preserved" only requiring minor touch-ups?

I have only worked on one 1920s battery set. It was not a superheterodyne, but it was a challenge! It was a circa 1926 Westingale.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by kent3256 on Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 am

Actually, that is how I got it. It does need some minor cleanup, there are some rust/corrosion spots on the chassis, and I have not looked at electrical issues yet.

Battery sets from the 20s are (I think) easier than other sets....there is no power supply to fix (often the source of problems for us!). TRF sets...about the only thing that goes wrong are open windings in the audio transformers. Battery supers are a bit tougher, in addition to open audios, sometimes an IF transformer is bad. And they are a lot more finicky to operate than a TRF.

I always admire the skills of the early radio constructors...some of the 20s kit sets are better built than factory made radios.
kent3256

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Polaraligned on Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Wow Kent, that is some fantastic looking set!

Polaraligned

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top