The snakes are out early!

Go down

The snakes are out early! Empty The snakes are out early!

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:06 pm

It is supposed to be 87 here today. We have been having record temps here the last couple of weeks. The weather has warmed up enough that the 13 different species of rattlesnakes native to Arizona are out early. Nice. If my wife sees one of these critters, we will be FORMER residents of AZ. They are warning hikers and others who enjoy the outdoors to be on the outlook for these nasty critters. I know a man who takes "tenderfoot" types up into the mountains by horseback. He always rides a mule as the lead animal. Mules will not mess with a snake. They will stop, whereas a horse will keep going and get snakebit.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

The snakes are out early! Empty Re: The snakes are out early!

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:40 pm

We had some "high" warning of rattlesnakes back in October, I'm sure we will ave it again in May.

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:25 am

Mules are awesome! My parents have a neighbor who keeps a donkey with her goat herd to keep coyotes away. She is a real "watchdog". She brays at the slightest thing. My parents buy her "treats" from the tractor supply. Mules and donkeys get a bum rap because their ears are big. The truth is, they apparently have more sense than horses.  Cool 
hismastersvoice
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Mules are smarter than horses.  A donkey is the cross, IIRC between a jack and a pony.  A mule is the cross between a jack and a horse.  I have seen mules with Percheron or Clydesdale blood who were huge, but still smart like a mule.  Donkeys tend to not be as smart and personable as a mule, but are certainly good with sheep and goats.  A mule will not come within sight of a snake.  They will not enter a body of water where they sense a snake, either.  They were commonly used for pack animals with horses.  The mules would keep the horses out of trouble, if the humans controlling the animals were savvy to what was going on.  

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum