So Long Old Paint

Go down

So Long Old Paint Empty So Long Old Paint

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:57 am

All the represented (union) employees got a notice last week at work that the time taken off for the storm days which were allowed to be vacation days by our CEO, are now to be considered as occurrences of absenteeism/tardiness. 6 occurrences result in dismissal. My number is 5. I can't afford to take the time to repair the Bronco II that was smashed earlier this year, so I used the settlement money to get a 96 F150 EB XLT. It has a recently installed 5.0 Jasper engine, and all the options work pretty well. It never ceases to amaze me at how many parts are available on ebay for whatever vehicle I get.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

So Long Old Paint Empty Re: So Long Old Paint

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:48 pm

Where I work, they "coach" you if you get six "incidents", which can mean anything from getting drunk and "forgetting" to come to work, to storm days, or being sick, etc. It takes three days to equal one "incident" to allow for people legitimately getting sick. If you only miss one day, that is one "incident". Six incidents and you are "coached." Six more and they write you up. Six more, they usually give you three days off. Remember, three days equal one "incident." Now you have seven "incidents." Now you get canned. Maybe. If you are a good cashier, you can almost burn the building down and management will barely bat an eye. Political correctness and "fairness" have gotten out of hand.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:12 pm

I think they are trying to lever contract negotiations with this. I just don't want to be the "See, see! YOU made us fire this poor fellow kind of guy.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:37 pm

I understand where you are coming from. It seems that every time I pushed the envelope, I was the example, if you know what I mean.  Sad 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Not good. Employers are really raunchy now.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:37 am

It is nuts out there! At my job (I monitor commercial and residential security systems), I sort of HAVE to be there. I absolutely could not get out last week. I live on a hill. So, the boss comes in a 4-wheel drive to pick me up.

A day later, this memo comes out...SPECIAL NOTICE it says, and it basically said that all the people who showed up to work of their own accord would receive a bonus next payday which excluded me because the boss picked me up. Now, that's all well and good, but one person on the list was also picked up, and another called out the very next day.

So, I up and found a new job! That wasn't the only thing....that place has been nuts since I started almost 3 years ago. The new job is a cut in pay, so hopefully it will be less mental anguish.

Being in the workforce isn't a great, productive thing like it once was. It no longer allows for a middle class or buys the so-called American dream. It's bad times out there.
hismastersvoice
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:06 pm

They wanted to promote me at work. Mind you, I am RETIRED, am a semi-worthless old guy, do not text, do not sext, do not Tweet, Twitter, Facebook or any of that stuff. I work 24 hours a week. But I show up, am still breathing, and I looked like I had "sucker" written on my forehead. They wanted to make me a department manager. I semi-politely replied not only "NO" but actually "HELL NO!". Not if they gave me the company, lock, stock and barrel. I hate those silly "Kum Bah Yah" meetings, where you give the company cheer and hold hands and act all gooshy toward people, then leave the meeting and chew them out for some B.S. just so they know you are in charge. Each time the manager mentions someone by name, you have to stomp the floor and yell "teamwork!" Phooey on that. Then the paper work that will take all my time. No sir. Not this guy. Life is too short, and I have too little left. I need to work on my bucket list. They still don't have a department manager. I just do my thing, and go home.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:16 pm

My neighbors' son, a Toyota mechanic, wants to buy my smashed unit. He will get a good repairable unit for $1k and I will have gotten $4600.00 for the vehicle I paid $2100 for 10 years ago. And all I had to do is get hit by a semi. Go figure.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:35 pm

You did well on the sale, but getting hit by a semi was the hard way to do it. I'm glad you were not seriously injured. Good luck, 75.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:39 pm

Thanks, The guy who sold me the pickup found a new set of headlight assemblies for it. I got those yesterday. I am giving the interior odo-ban treatments to get rid of the old dog smell. It's soaking that up like Louisiana chitlin wood shingles soak up paint.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Being a manager isn't all that bad.  Some managers make it look bad.  Others rewrite the rules to make the job better and make the workers more effective.

Alas, it is partly a function of company culture.  But it's also a function of YOUR culture.

TEAMWORK!  Smile
Greg Davis
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:22 am

Wildcat445 wrote:  I hate those silly "Kum Bah Yah" meetings, where you give the company cheer and hold hands and act all gooshy toward people, then leave the meeting and chew them out for some B.S. just so they know you are in charge. Each time the manager mentions someone by name, you have to stomp the floor and yell "teamwork!

This concept is so 1980s.

I thought the world had gotten over it and moved on. It doesn't exist to any large degree here, thank goodness!

I sympathize with anybody who has to work under cruel psychological oppression such as this draconian workplace practice.

Ron.
Ron Pond
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:42 am

American companies are probably the the worst managed in the world, on average.
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:12 am

When I worked for Lowe's, the store manager came to me one morning and notified me that I was not to speak to anyone but upper managers and customers. I was to communicate with my 18 people I was in charge of by email! True story. How do you talk to a guy on a forklift via email? This lasted about three hours until I had all I wanted. I threw my vest on the ground and sang them the old Johnny Paycheck song "Take This Job And Shove It." I never looked back.

We don't get beat on at work, not even close. All the "teamwork" hooey gets on my nerves. Those "feel good" meetings, "Employee of the Month" and that crap is divisive and silly. Just treat people how you want to be treated, scratch them behind the ear once in awhile, and they will follow you to the ends of the earth. How is that so hard? Why companies actually promote and pay people, "District Managers" "Area Managers" or whatever to irritate and annoy their employees is beyond me. Why do companies spend thousands orienting and training their employees then have someone come in, usually unannounced, and find fault and pick at people just because they can?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:57 am

All these stories make me glad I'm self employed.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:15 pm

I work now in a faraday cage. I hope when I move from this area, Its heluva watch time! (The gold one!)
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:...Why companies actually promote and pay people, "District Managers" "Area Managers" or whatever to irritate and annoy their employees is beyond me.  Why do companies spend thousands orienting and training their employees then have someone come in, usually unannounced, and find fault and pick at people just because they can?

Regards

WC

Research "antisocial personality disorder."
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down