Call me an old grouch

Go down

Call me an old grouch Empty Call me an old grouch

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:58 pm

There was a guy named Gary Clark, Jr. trying to play the National Anthem on a guitar on the NBA All-Star game.  Why can't there be performers singing the National Anthem like it was written?  Why does it have to sound like a rock opera of some kind?  Why do these young artists have to dress so sloppily when singing/playing the National Anthem?  What happened to basic respect and decency?  I edited this so that it did not sound so harsh.  I guess I am getting grouchy.

I remember a time when someone singing the National Anthem practiced for eons to make sure they got it right. It was kind of like singing a hymn for our country. People would stand with their hands over their hearts. Men removed their hats. It was a somber time and people acted respectfully. The person singing or playing the National Anthem was the best there was available. It was sung the way it was written. If you couldn't do it right, you did not do it at all. Many of the basketball players looked like they were bored. That this tribute to our country was taking up their valuable time. The guy twanging on the guitar had a black toboggan on his head, a leather jacket and motorcycle boots. He looked like he was dressed to commit a crime, rather than playing our National Anthem. I'm not picking on this specific individual, this situation is prevalent today. Is it too much to ask that these performers sing or play the Anthem the way it is supposed to be, and to dress appropriately. To show some respect.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Call me an old grouch Empty Re: Call me an old grouch

Post by willy3486 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:05 am

There is a young girl I saw a while back singing the National Anthem. It was one of the best I have seen in a while. She is a autistic girl and although she wasn't in her Sunday best she was dressed decently. But when she sang it was amazing. She really floored me with her voice.

There is one girl that I expect to be famous one day. Her name is Rachel Flowers. She is completely blind and I think she has been since birth. Anyway she can literally tear up a piano with her playing. She has a organ she plays. A fellow who keeps it going is also the fellow who keeps the organ for the Emerson fellow in Emerson,Lake and Palmer. The repair guy was telling emerson about her and Emerson invited her over. She tore into the organ and she was great.

Anyway I am right there with you on these folks not being respectful.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:09 am

There was a military honor guard standing behind this individual. How would you feel if you put your can on the line and then had to stand at attention while someone like that twanged and banged trying to play the National Anthem? SURELY, we have someone in this country with the talent to sing the National Anthem! The lady who sang the Canadian National Anthem did it decently and respectfully, yet we scrape the bottom of the barrel when playing the American National Anthem? What's up with that? Who sings the American National Anthem when teams play in Canada? Maybe we need to hire them to sing in this country. People who produce this "entertainment" should feel ashamed of themselves.

Thanks, Willy.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:18 am

I think its the whole "Jerry Springer" attitude going on in America anymore. You see it everywhere from stores,entertainment to news. I saw some youtube videos and I was almost in tears from these Jerks being so unpatriotic. I was watching some of the unknown soldier honor guard marching in front of the tomb. Now I was not able to serve due to health reasons but even with that I knew what I saw was disgustingly disrespectful. I saw a video the guard had to step off the carpet and ask people to be quiet, not walk in the area and more. Folks have no respect for anyone else anymore. I could understand not knowing the ruies but to be laughing and carying on in front of the tomb like its a party that was disgusting. Maybe I am too old and ancient but I believe in being respectful. Sad times here in the USA.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:17 am

I think its the whole "Jerry Springer" attitude going on in America anymore.

You got that right!

Wildcat, you're not grouchy, you're a traditionalist! I am too!  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:34 am

The period following the fighting from 1861 to 65 was called reconstruction.  I think the period we are in now should be called "deconstruction".  At least that is what seems to be happening.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:58 am

I must be an old grouch too. I have to say the ones I hate the most are the divas that seem to think the national anthem is a chance to show off their vocal range, and warble all over the place, as if they are patently incapable of sticking a note and holding it.
Greg Davis
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm

I'm a traditionalist, and, I've always liked "America" best.
The other was originally a bar drinking song.......

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4455
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:20 pm

I am with y'all. I know I'm a bit younger, but I am puzzled by the lack of respect as well. People no longer realize body or person apart from themselves. The universe has way too many centers...and not enough stars or planets. I, too, am saddened by the direction we have ended up in.
hismastersvoice
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 80
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:53 pm

When I was a mere goomer, one was required to bathe, including behind your ears, put on clean underwear, your best flannel shirt, long pants, shoes and socks to go to church. Grandpa put on his "Sunday go to meetin'" bibs and clodhoppers, grandma donned her pillbox hat to go to church. Grandpa washed the car on Saturday afternoon so it would be clean for "Sunday preachin'". You behaved yourself, or got your ears boxed. Nowadays, I go to church once a year whether I need it or not. Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. This year there were kids there, on their damned cellphones, in dirty sneakers and holey pants. This is getting ridiculous at times. And, yeah, I AM getting grouchy.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down