Unhleashed Pitbulls!!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Unhleashed Pitbulls!! Empty Unhleashed Pitbulls!!

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:59 pm

Our community is made of newer homes, working families and snowbirds.  No homes older than 2008.  There are five families who own dogs that are pitbull terriors or a mix of same.  They run around unleashed.  I have a little poodle mix who gets scared by bigger dogs and starts yapping.  I fear that this yapping will incite some type of negative reaction from these unleashed dogs. Our Golden Retriever could care less. I have contacted the HOA, they say to call the sheriff.  We have a leash law in our county. The sheriff will do nothing if the dogs are gone.  Let us just say, for the sake of brevity, that I have a disability that makes it impossible for me to communicate (yell for help) should one of these dogs attack either me or one of my leashed dogs.  I have spoken to the owners of the dogs, explaining my dilemma,  and they give me the old "Fido would not hurt a flea, has never bitten anyone, has been raised with our kids, yada, yada, yada."  I fear for my safety and the safety of my two mutts.  I have no experience in raising a pitbull, and admit that any information I have came from tv or the internet.  What can I reasonably do to protect myself against a pitbull attack?  I am a critter lover, and the consideration of mortal harm to an animal in other than a matter of life and death is repugnant to me.  Will mace or pepper spray stop a pitbull attack?  Will one of these weapons make the animal more aggressive, rather than stopping it?  Should I just wear a .44 Magnum, warn the dog owners that if I am attacked, they will need a new dog and a lawyer?  I don't want to harm an animal.  I do not want anybody to get into trouble if possible.  But I do not want to be injured, or have one of my leashed dogs to be injured, by an illegally unrestrained animal.  What do you all think I should do?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Unhleashed Pitbulls!! Empty Re: Unhleashed Pitbulls!!

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:27 pm

I don't think the pepper spray will work. I remember reading that years ago. Not sure about a stun gun, but would suggest a regular pistol. I read people are killed by vocious dogs and have thought about what I can do. The pistol is the only option I can come up with. Interested if anyone has a better solution?
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:29 pm

An example: http://www.counton2.com/story/24650934/state-worker-in-coma-after-pit-bull-attack
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:31 pm

I've seen a dog or two around here shot dead for chasing cattle. One trick that works well is to carry a squirt bottle with a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia, when a dog comes too close shoot him in the nose with it. I don't always have my ammonia bottle but I always have my M1911 and would use it on a crazy dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:34 pm

While I agree that they should be leashed, I don't agree with both of you. Most pit bulls, and, that bread doesn't really exist, are not vicious. I have a "pit bull" mix that's the sweetest little thing. Yes, she protects me as any good dog should, but, other than that, she hasn't a vicious bone in her body.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Surprised Sad 

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:55 pm

Take pictures of the dogs as they run loose and have them for the sheriff when you call them. Regardless of the dogs' docility, their owners are breaking the leash law.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:58 pm

I'm not denying that. I just think it's wrong to think all "pit bulls" are bad.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 pm

Most pit bulls, and, that bread doesn't really exist, are not vicious.

It doesn't have to be a pit bull. Any aggressive dog can kill, although the number 1 dog for bites is the pit bull and number two is labs. I don't know if the breeds are very popular and therefore so many are out there, or if they have an increased tendency to bite by their disposition. Personally I like labs and had them without any aggressive behavior. Certain apartment complexes, RV parks, housing places, etc. restrict what they consider aggressive breeds, like pit bulls, dobermans, shepherds, etc. Seventeen states have passed laws against breed discrimination and four more are considering the law. Even the president backs the "non-discrimination" laws. FYI
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:09 pm

Pitbulls, as a breed, are known to have at least the ABILITY to be vicious. I don't trust them, and have heard stories, and seen examples of them causing damage. If your homeowner's insurance finds out that you own a pitbull, they just might cancel or limit your coverage. I certainly hope I can come up with a solution short of resorting to "packing heat" to protect myself. All the pitbulls I have ever heard of that bit someone, had never done it before. I just don't want to take the chance. I have taken pictures of the dogs, but that does not prove who their owners are. The sheriff advises that they need to "catch them in the act" before they can do anything.. That means that I need to get dog bit or get one of my dogs hurt before anything can be done. No thanks. On the other hand, I want to carry a gun almost as bad as I want to get dog bit.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 pm

It doesn't have to be a pit bull. Any aggressive dog can kill

Exactly, I'm not picking on pit bulls, I'm ready for any unfriendly dog. The ammonia trick works well and no one is harmed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:22 pm

Just put ammonia and water in a squirt bottle?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 pm

The ammonia trick works well and no one is harmed.

Yes and I did that when I was a kid with a paper route. For some reason, dogs find great entertainment in chasing bicycles.  Wink 

I do carry for many reasons, including a dog attacking me or attacking my dog...especially walking/hiking. Hopefully I will never have to shoot another dog/animal but it just makes sense being prepared. JMO

Any thoughts on a stun gun use on dogs? Wonder what the animal control people use?
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:Just put ammonia and water in a squirt bottle?  

Regards

WC

Yes,.... a 50/50 mix and aim for the nose if a dog bothers you!   Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:44 pm

I wouldn't try a stun gun on a dog. They may not be able to make a connection between getting stunned and correcting their behavior to stop the treatment. Letter carriers use mace, but that is not a sure thing. Animal control uses control sticks that "lasso" the dog and hold it at the rods' length. I've had good luck with those little poppers one throws on a hard surface. You don't have to throw it near the dog and the dogs don't like the sound.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:58 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I will try the ammonia trick. That seems like the easiest and most harmless. After that, a .44 is next. I'm tired of this situation. I don't want trouble with my neighbors, but I can't get hurt when they are doing the wrong thing. It's not a matter of if, but when. I try to keep my little dog quiet, but nature takes its course.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:20 pm

I have decided to try the ammonia-in-a-squirt-bottle trick for the short term.

My wife and I have contacted our attorney and he is going to fire off some hate mail to the owners of the loose dogs in question, citing our concerns and AZ law.  He will also include the little caveat that if I get bitten or my dogs get injured as a result of their negligence, that he is going to make their lives miserable.  The attorney is also going to send a "letter of concern" to the HOA, the county Sheriff's Office and the AZ Attorney General's Office just for grins.  I may also borrow a friend's UNLOADED .44 Mag just for decoration.  That may get the point across without further drama.  I don't know what else to do.  The dog owners swear that their vicious-breed animals are sweet as pie and would not harm a flea.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:38 pm

The dog owners swear that their vicious-breed animals are sweet as pie and would not harm a flea.

A word from a veterinarian who used to take care of my German Sheppard; "ALL DOGS BITE"  I wish more people would understand this!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:55 pm

I fear that it is going to take somebody getting hurt for them to understand, unfortunately.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:58 pm

It usually does!  No 

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:37 pm

I am now going to take our mutts for a stroll with a bottle of ammonia and water to squirt on the offenders. Wish me well.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:48 pm

Good luck, let us know what happens.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:37 pm

We made it back with nary a beezer getting squirted. Bentley did not yap, so we snuck past the worst offender. He was in the park like usual. That one was a lab/pitbull mix and is just a pup. I have never seen the owner with it. They live three doors down from us. We walked down to the school and back. We have done our business, and all is well with the world.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:51 pm

Here is a solution, Wildcat: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2554418/Meet-Freddy-7ft-1in-11st-growing-The-Great-Dane-whos-big-walked-dark-dogs-wont-scared.html
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:02 pm

That is one large dog!!!!!!  Shocked 

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum