Motorola A27W Twin Speaker Table Top Radio

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Motorola A27W Twin Speaker Table Top Radio

Post by hismastersvoice on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:24 pm

So, I think this one is my favorite so far. I don't know why...it's not an RCA and it doesn't have the old classy feel of the Trans-Oceanic, and it's not a looker like say a Zenith Racetrack or an old Silvertone. It just has a quiet charm...a sort of silent presence that you can't ignore.

I haven't taken any of my own pictures yet, but if you want to lay eyes on what I'm talking about, you can see it here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_twin_speakers_a27w.html

I watched this one through 2 auctions on ebay that I know about. I couldn't let it go the second time. 20 bucks shipped. It survived! It arrived working. The tubes heated up in about 10 seconds and it resonated rather clearly through both speakers. The case is in pretty good shape. No chips. It has a sticky spot on the top where there was some type of sticker....like maybe price sticker from a secondhand shop or sale. The back is in great shape. It needs a good scrub. There is one scratch on the front across the words, "Twin Speakers". I think I can touch it up. The only other flaw is a silver pinstripe-type line that frames the dial. It's a bit faded. I can definitely fix that.

This will probably be the first radio I restore, and I might just keep it in the shop for a while until I find another one that "speaks" to me.
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Motorola A27W Twin Speaker Table Top Radio

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:05 pm

I have one like it that is aqua. It is a good performer for an AA5. Mine has a couplet. Those are fun when they go wonky, especially on a PCB. Good score for twenty bucks. Try Windex on the sticker goo. If the sticker goo is really dried on, you may have to buff it out/off. Have fun.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Motorola A27W Twin Speaker Table Top Radio

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:26 pm

sunny 
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 939
Registration date : 2012-09-17