GM Hub caps

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GM Hub caps Empty GM Hub caps

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:22 pm

I Just got my first car in a very long time and it needs a set of hub caps. Its an '88 Buick Regal with 14" wheels on it. I was just wandering if i could use any buick hub caps on it or if they have to be a certain hub cap? I will probably not be able to find the original style since IDK what style was on it originally. I was browsing the bay and found a few sets for around 45.00 shipped that i like. The last person that i knew that had one of these it had the aluminum wheels on it not steel. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

GM Hub caps Empty Re: GM Hub caps

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:39 pm

It could have had genuine fake wire wheel caps, with locking bolt in the center. They also make plain plastic hub caps for those cars as well. I would think that any GM car of that vintage, maybe up to the end of Century production in 2006 would work. They used that same style wheel on millions upon millions of GM cars. Chevy Citation, Olds Cutlass Ciera, Pontiac Grand AM, 6000, Chevy Baretta, Corsica, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevy Monte Carlo front drive, all those wheels should be the same. You should be able to buy a set in a junk yard or maybe even a wheel place for not too much money. You might even be able to find a set of aluminum wheels that would work, if you like. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:49 pm

Unless you like listening to squeek squeek squeek resist buying the fake wires with the central lock. $45 a set ain't bad at all. My Bronco II has a little black plastic center the size of a mushroom can that are $45 apiece if you can find them.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:53 pm

That is what i thought. I was looking at hub caps from the mid 70's that i liked. I plan to go to a junk yard sometime and see what they have that will fit. I am only going to buy OEM steel hub caps. I will not buy any generic plastic ones that look like crap. This is my favorite set, only bc they are different.http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-Vintage-Buick-Wildcat-Hubcap-Wheel-Cover-Set-of-4-/251380165821?  This is my 2nd favorite set:http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-79-BUICK-REGAL-CENTURY-SKYLARK-14-HUB-CAP-SET-4/370686017917?_
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:09 pm

I never liked the looks of the OEM hubcaps from around 1988. Be sure to test fit your choice.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:10 pm

Neither one of those sets of hubcaps will work on your Century.  The first set, #251380165821, are from a Mercury Cougar.  That is a Cougar on the center, not a Wildcat.  A genuine Buick Wildcat has whiskers!  Laughing  All Buick Wildcats had 15" wheels.  Note my signature.  "Wildcat 445" is Buick nomenclature for their famous 401 cubic inch V-8. The offset on these hubcaps will be wrong.

The second set (I'm not gonna type that stupid long number) will not work, either.  They are for a Nova-bodied Buick Regal.  The offset of the wheel dish is different and it won't work with front-drive wheels.  

What's wrong with squeaky hubcaps, 75?  It gives them character.  Smile 

You need hubcaps from a GM front wheel drive car like I stated above.  And, like 75 said, none of them will be pretty.  I hope this helps.  

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:27 pm

I guess i may be better off looking at a junk yard. The only problem is sometimes they want way more money for something like hub caps then i have to spend.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:40 pm

Unfortunately, the wire wheel covers will probably be the most plentiful, since that is what was most used when those cars were new. There are two kinds of lock-on wire hubcaps. One kind is held on by clips on the hubcap holding onto the rim and one kind that is only held on by the center locking bolt. If you get the second kind, that is the kind that squeaks. That can be minimized by wrapping a layer of black tape around the entire outside circumference of the hubcap. The first kind normally does not squeak when it is installed completely and properly and the center locking bolt is installed and tight. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Well, so far 3 local junk yards locally did not have any hub caps to fit my car. I'll call a few other yards around my area to see if i have any luck. If not then that is when i'll start looking online again.. I may have to get ahold of the previous owner to see if they still have the set off of it.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:32 pm

You might also take your car to a junk yard or two and see if they know any other makes' caps that would fit your car. That could make it easier to get them online.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:46 pm

I realize that this may not sound very nice, but those GM front-drivers of that era were throw away cars, and most of them have had the "big squeeze" by now. They were not bad cars, most saw hard lives. They were cheap new cars, cheaper used cars and were the darlings of note lots. Where they broke is where they started their journeys to the junk yard. The parts were crushed with the cars. If there are no particular model cars around, there are no parts for them. Hence, your problem with finding hubcaps. Did you try Pep Boys? It might not hurt. Hubcaps have gone the way of whitewalls and fender skirts. Like I said before, the only hubcaps that will fit need to be for a GM front drive car. I wish you the best.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:25 pm

They're not cheap, and I didn't see yours listed (coulda missed em), but maybe if you call they can lead you to someone.

hubcaps.org

Sadly WC is right. It might actually be easier to find correct hubcaps for a '58 then an '88. The Reagan era was a sad time for GM design. Your typical choices for hubcaps were limited to 3:

Less ugly
Ugly
More ugly.

The other thing you could try is a "rim shop" or tire place where they sell "ghetto gangster style" replacements. They might have the toss pile in the back from the old customer swap-outs. Heck, I wonder if even WalMart had aftermarket stuff to slap on. In high school people I know bought all kinds of "direct slap on" stuff to make their boring stock car into a "ghetto gangster style ride" with "custom" push on chromed plastic covers.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:52 pm

I just found out from my "GM guy" that supplied my parts, that those front-drive GM cars changed wheel bolt pattern in 1998.  The wheels from my '96 Pontiac Grand Am would not fit my 2004.  So that may complicate your search further.  You need GM front-wheel-drive hubcaps for cars 1980 to 1997.  They switched to 15 inch wheels in 1990.  So you need hubcaps for GM front drivers from 1980 to 1990, with 14 inch wheels.  May I suggest that you look for a set of 15" aluminum factory wheels from a later car?  Up thru 1997 will work.  14" tires are getting hard to find, as well.  15 or 16" tires would be easier to find.  Just a thought.  Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:15 pm

I checked out hubcaps.org and boy them bad boys are pricey.. I would like to stay away from plastic since they break so easy. I used to have a small collection of different random hub caps and some of them may of worked, then i could of found matches to the ones i had. I appreciate the info on the year spans that will fit, that makes it easier to find some when i continue my search. I wouldnt mind switching to aluminum rims, but they will be just as costly as hub caps.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:20 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I priced a battery for my Buick today. $275.00 plus shipping. I near fell out.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:13 am

That is kind of funny you mention that, I had to replace my battery today. Had autozone test it and it only had 18% capacity. My car had a Napa 75 series battery in it from 2011, luckily it still had a pro rated warranty on it. I only paid 46.00 for it and it still has 2 years on it. I almost went to O'rilley auto to get a battery, which was 100.00 but with my school discount it brought the price down to 70.00 before tax with a 2 year warranty. The guy at autozone said the price of lead went up.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:54 pm

You cannot get a Delco battery for a Buick anymore! How pitiful is that?

I have to get a reproduction drycell battery. Mega expensive. I have an Interstate battery in there now that has been working since 2003. I figure I am on borrowed time, so I priced a replacement. I am going to run the Interstate until it dies for that money.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:15 pm

Its hard to get AC Delco anything except spark plugs, even them are getting harder to find at a reasonable price since you can get performance plugs for a little bit more.
I considered getting a battery from interstate but i knew it would be out of my price range. I would you are on borrowed time for certain as most normal batteries usually only last 5 years. Mine didnt last that long, but cant complain since i didnt originally purchase it. I was just glad it died when it did while i had the money to replace it.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:27 pm

I remember when they tore down the Delco battery plant. They had molds for the battery cases strewn all over where the buildings were being demolished. I believe that was in the late 70's. AC Delco is a licensed brand name now. That's it.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 pm

Incidentally, AC as in spark plugs, are the initials of Albert Champion. He used his own surname to name his next company.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:43 pm

I always bought Interstate batteries for "working" duty in my cars when I was in the restoration business. I would drive the car on an Interstate, then change out it for a dud repop for show. Now they have come out with drycell batteries, ala the Optima, for the repop batteries. They allegedly work better, but they are horrendously expensive. Interstate Workaholic batteries always would last 10 years, even when they sat unused most of the time. The current Workaholic is not as good. AND more expensive. I have a set of NOS AC sparkplugs in the Buick now that have been there since 1996. The set in my truck have been in since 1993. No more than I drive those vehicles, they will last the rest of my life. I have a genuine AC spark plug cleaner that I use once every ten years whether they need it or not. I have trouble getting correct oil filters for my Buick. The ones available now do not have a correct anti-drainback valve. This causes the valve lifters to rattle when I start the car if it has been sitting for a week or so. Wix is the only manufacturer who makes the correct filter, but they are hard to find. AC does not make the correct oil filter for my Buick.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Big Happenings used to be goin' on at AC....who thought you could have such a swingin' time talking about AC sparkplugs!  Very Happy 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dHHGFWWFBk&sns=em
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Let's see. The GM divisions, once the mainstays of industry that no longer exist. Including, but not limited to:

*Delco-Remy Division
*Guide Lamp Division
*Detroit Diesel
*Allison Transmission
*Delco Radio/Delco Electronics/Delphi
*Delco/Moraine Brake Division
*Saginaw Gear
*Kelsey-Hayes Wheels
*Electro-Motive Division
*Hughes Electronics
*Frigidaire Division
*Harrison Radiator Division
*AC Spark Plug Division
*New Departure
*General Motors Acceptance Corporation (GMAC)
I'll wager that some of you guys can come up with more. It is sad to see this once-great corporation building assembled cars like Kaiser and the independents did. Once upon a time, GM built nearly every part of the cars they built in-house.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:02 am

My father worked for the Guide Lamp, Delco-Remy and Fisher Body divisions. My mother worked for the Delco-Remy Division and met my father there. My Father made molds for bakelite parts and my mother assembled condensers.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:17 am

I figured AC Delco plugs were nothing but a brand name anymore. I knew there used to be a lot of divisions of GM. I'm familiar with Delco Remy as that is how I used to identify loose alternators in my friends garage. As far as batteries, I was told at one time by a guy that used to haul batteries that only 2 companies made batteries and just put different labels on them. How true/accurate that is IDK.. I do know that the more plates a battery has the better it is..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum