Okay y'all Old time country fans...

Go down

Okay y'all Old time country fans... Empty Okay y'all Old time country fans...

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:42 pm

With all this talk of vintage country music, I figured I'd provide you with a little sound byte from a half century + ago. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qNs75UaG3A&sns=em

Enjoy Smile
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Okay y'all Old time country fans... Empty Re: Okay y'all Old time country fans...

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 pm

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Okay y'all Old time country fans... Empty Re: Okay y'all Old time country fans...

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:15 am

Anybody remember a favorite of mine, Tennessee Ernie Ford??

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Bill Cahill wrote:Anybody remember a favorite of mine, Tennessee Ernie Ford??

I remember him, does anyone remember Buck Owens?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Yup, Yup  Very Happy 

Tennessee Ernie Ford:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joo90ZWrUkU

Buck Owens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDmDwvZSlPw
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm

Yeppers..........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:01 am

Did you guys remember that Tennessee Ernie Ford was an original member of the HeeHaw Gospel Quartet?  He was replaced by Kenny Price "The Round Mound of Sound", singing bass.  Ernie Ford recorded several gospel albums over the years.  He appeared on "I Love Lucy" and "The Beverly Hillbillies", and played on a couple episodes of "Gunsmoke" that I remember.  I have two records by the Hee Haw Gospel Quartet.  One with Ernie Ford, one with Kenny Price.

Bill, you mentioned Vernon Dalhart awhile back.  He was the Eddy Arnold of 1925.  He was a mentor to a young aspiring singer about that time, Gene Autry.  There were a couple other famous singers of the day you may recall.  Nat Shilkret, a singer of note on Victor records, who later became the director of the Victor Orchestra.  And Charles Harrison, the Frank Sinatra of cylinder records and early thick, recorded on one side records, mostly Victor and Columbia.  I have a Victor record from 1917, recorded on both sides, with Charles Harrison vocals.  One side "The Bell of Barcelona" was my grandma's favorite.  I preferred the flip side "On The Riviera."  They were both fox trots, kind of the forebearer of western swing.  I processed the record to digital, added some bass and drum effects, and it sounds amazingly modern.  More like the 1940's than the 'teens.

Playing cylinder records and early wax records requires patience and a certain amount of imagination.  You have to imagine how it would or should sound without all the surface noise and extremely narrow frequency range.  There is usually more noise than music.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Gene Austin and Johnny Marvin are a couple of other colorful characters from the Vernon Dalhart era.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum