Anyone fans of Country Music?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone fans of Country Music?

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:02 pm

Here's a old video for you. Its of Dottie West when she was young. I was reminiscing when I was a kid and got to thinking about when I was about four. My parents had moved from middle Tennesse to Memphis before I was born. We had come up one time ,probably around Christmas. My dad was talking to one of his brothers about their cousin who had recorded a record. We eventually came back to McMinnville TN. This is where Dottie was from as well. Then one time I worked at his factory and someone there pointed out this person who was Dotties Cousin. Only later did I find out I was related to Dottie as well. I got to meet some of her family later on as well. Dotties mom was my grandmothers sister or at the most cousin. I remember a lot of folks on my dads side and I can see they are related to her as well because they have similar looks. Anyway I got to watching videos of her and I wondered if anyone liked her singing.If so I hope you enjoy this, has to be mid 60s.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone fans of Country Music?

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:23 pm

I love country music and I liked Dottie West. More her earlier material, however.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:18 pm

Thanks WC. For me country music is that era. I don't care much for the new stuff. Give me Skeeter Davis, Brenda Lee. Teresa Brewer or Dotty for that great sound.
Regards, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:55 pm

I've posted this before on this site, but for you fans of "vintage" country, if you have SiriusXM, you'd absolutely love Willy's Roadhouse.

http://www.siriusxm.com/williesroadhouse
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:21 pm

One that I really like is Marty Robbins. I lived in Tuscon as a kid around 69 to 71 and he was hugely popular there at that time. I really like his stuff.

Here is a story on Johnny Cash. He lived just outside of Nashville and my dad had another cousin who lived down the road from Johnny. His mom was a little woman like Sophia from Golden Girls  but she had a lot of spunk for her size. She babysat her grandson after she retired. One day he came in the house with a apple eating it. She asked where he got it and he confessed to sneaking it from down the road. She marched him out to the car and drove him to the place. There was a man outside and she asked for him to come over .She said her grandson snuck over and stole a apple and he was raised better than that. She wanted him to apologize to the man. Then she realized it was Johnny.

He looked at her grandson and said ,son you know stealing is bad, the boy answered yes sir. Johnny said if you get caught stealing when you are older they will send you to jail and I have been in jail. We don't want that do we son? The boy said no sir! Then johnny said so you won't get in trouble or get hurt going over the fence I am giving you permission to come through the gate and get any apples you want. The boy said thank you sir. MY aunt said he was really nice to her and the boy that day.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:52 pm

Jerry, the new stuff sucks. Garth Brooks and Clint Black can be credited for killing traditional country music. We went from country artists in their sequined suits, like Hank Snow and Porter Wagoner, to torn jeans and a mic hanging off their heads like Brooks and Black. "Artists" now have to gyrate like pole dancers and look "hot" instead of just getting down to business. In the good old days, I could tell who was singing by the first three bars of the introduction. Nowadays, I can't tell the difference between any of them, since they all sound like 1970's rockers. We went from words like "Was the thrill worth the gamble that you lived from day to day? Does it really hold a candle to the love you threw away? Each night takes you closer to the point of no return, buddy when are you ever gonna learn?" by Faron Young to "Chew tobacco, chew tobacco, chew tobacco, spit" by Blake Shelton. Pitiful! Not only do we have to endure performers of mediocre talent, but the addition of no-talent songwriters compound the situation. The days of Cindy Walker, Wayne Walker, Harlan Howard, Roger Miller, Mel Tillis, Bordeleau Bryant, et al are over. All we can do is to enjoy and appreciate the talent of a gentler, by-gone era playing our old LP's on equipment equally as old.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:48 pm

WC, I couldn't have said it better. I guess we are just old and like that stuff. I must admit (sorry) I do like Faith Hill. No Willy Nelson (nice songs but no voice) or Mr. Cash for the same reasons. Guess I like the female voices from old time. Wife watches the Country Music Awards and just tune out. Nothing of interest to me there.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:16 pm

These folks are the only country artists I am a fan of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C08jmN1sM8
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 pm

Bob Wills invented Western Swing, Hank Thompson made it popular, Asleep At The Wheel perfected it. Did you ever hear Asleep At The Wheel, 75?

I will admit that I, Mr Conservative Country, actually am a Gretchen Wilson fan. In spite of her disheveled persona, I find her music satisfying. She is hard core country. She also fell off the earth for some reason. I seldom hear her material on radio. She has/had one of the best bands current in country music.

My big problem with Top-40 country is the way they play instruments. Guitars have distortion pedals, steel guitar doesn't sound right, they use ELECTRIC fiddles, and electric pianos (keyboard). The drummer holds his sticks and beats the drum like he is driving roofing nails. What ever happened to brushes on cymbals and rim shots? The drums are usually amplified. There is no recognizable traditional country beat. The only practitioner of the four-square western swing beat is Asleep At The Wheel. The "artists" look like a bunch of escaped convicts or washed-up bikers. The crappy vocals and writing have been discussed before.

The absolute only country artist extant, IMHO, who has a modicum of talent is Carrie Underwood. Did you ever hear her sing "How Great Thou Art"? If she recorded an album of Connie Francis material, she would sell two copies, one for her and I would buy one. It would generally bomb. But it would be her finest output by infinity. The material written for her is abysmal at best. I currently do not own a note of Carrie Underwood material.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by MinnesotaHam on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:43 pm

Try some music from Amber Digby.
Young woman singing old time country and doing it right.

MinnesotaHam

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2009-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks for the tip, MinnesotaHam. I have not heard of her. I will check it out.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:15 pm

I like old country music from the 1950's and 60's

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:31 pm

Country music from that era is the best there ever was or ever will be.  Talent like that simply does not exist today.  And even if it did, few people would care.  I want someone to play "Mansion On The Hilltop", and "If We Never Meet Again" by Elvis Presley at my funeral. Featuring the Imperials Quartet and Floyd Cramer on the grand piano, these are a couple of my all-time favorite gospel songs.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:50 pm

Minnesota Ham, I just looked up Amber Digby on YouTube. OMG! "Cowboy Lovin' Night", the old Tanya Tucker song was on there. One of my favorite songs. Amber Digby does it even better than Tanya. Twin acoustic fiddles, a real steel player, real drummer playing drums the way they should be, all from 2007. Why I have never heard of this artist, I have no idea. This gives me hope that there are more obscure artists who can still play traditional country. Amazon has her CD's, so I may just treat myself. Thank you, thank you!!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:12 am

Does this include my favorites like Vernon Dalhart, or, I forget his name, the blind guy that did a number of cylinder recordings, including "The sinking of the Titatnic", ??
Dalhart did a number of really good records, including "The wreck of the old southern '97", "In the baggage coach ahead", "Golden slippers", "The miner's child", "The prisoner's song", etc.........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:07 pm

You fellas are a tough crowd.  Smile I feel your pain, though. I have a rather eclectic digital music collection that touches most genres and ranges from Beethoven, to Kitty Wells, to the Beatles, to Bon Jovi, to a good sampling of modern artists. I even have some Garth Brooks and probably some Clint Black filed next to my beloved Andrews Sisters or Loretta Lynn.

You might cringe...just like I cringed when WC mentioned that dumb song by Blake Shelton. I can relate.

There are not enough artists who are communicating anything of worth through their songs anymore. It's all garbage. As a writer, lyrics are pretty important to me, so...yeah.

I'd have to say if you fellas asked me for a music recommendation, I would say something like...

"Allison Krauss and Union Station"
"2CELLOs"

If you came to my home, I'd play a selection I put together for a co-worker a few years back. He was a bit of a grumpy fella, but he heard I had a knack for finding songs and he asked me to make him a CD. So, I took down his requests, found the songs, and made him a CD and he would sit and listen over and over.

The list went something like...

Dickey Lee - Patches
Several by George Jones
The Drunken Driver by Grandpa Joe
A couple by Porter Wagoner

Music is a universal language that spans the whole of time. Have you ever heard "The Oldest Song in the World"?

We get passionate about it, and mad when other people ruin it. So, while I might sometimes struggle to know the music you speak of, I will continue to try and relate to it and you.  Very Happy Good thread, y'all.
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:55 pm

I am, as I type this, listening to "Willie And The Wheel" featuring good ol' Willie Nelson and Asleep AT The Wheel.  As Willie gets older and his voice started going, he had to find a gig to compensate.  His guitar playing is still like it always was.  In collaboration with the incredible Ray Benson and Asleep At The Wheel, the combination of western swing and big band sounds, Willie has found his new gig.  I am listening to the CD played on my wife's old 1961 Magnavox console stereo.  The only way this CD will ever get better is to play it on a Magnavox Console Grand!  

I do not, and will not, own nary a note of Garth Brooks or Clint Black.  Ever.  We will have to agree to disagree about them, I'm afraid.

My musical tastes are pretty conservative. The farthest I get towards rock is Fleetwood Mac and ABBA. The farthest I get the other way is Farrante and Teischer and Ray Conniff. I will admit to liking Dr. Hook and The Village People, but that just shows my age, I guess.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:14 pm

I've always like the sound of Willie Nelson's voice.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:47 pm

No disagreement from me. Get a copy of "Willie And The Wheel." I'll bet you like it. If you can't find it, PM me.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:52 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:58 pm

That's it. "Fan It" is good, too. Not a bad note on the whole CD, really. Willie's vocals and guitar picking combined with ASW and its "big band western swing" sound. Magnificent!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:42 pm

hismastersvoice wrote:

I'd have to say if you fellas asked me for a music recommendation, I would say something like...

"Allison Krauss and Union Station"
"2CELLOs"

Here is a story on Aliison Krauss. She is responsible for a young girl getting help to hear. Here where I live is a place where a lot of Nashville musicians live. One fellow we are friends with sang with Ricky Skaggs and is friends with Allison. They had career day at the school where our wives work at. So he had some members of Skaggs band and Allison and her band members to come to the school. They performed for the kids and told them about being performers. Well Allison was singing and a little deaf girl was brought up to feel the vibrations of the speakers they were using. Her parents were told she was completely deaf . After a minute or so the girl was excited so they asked her what was wrong. In sign language she told them she felt something in her ears. She was barely hearing the music. So her parents were informed and they finally found a doctor that helped. This almost brought Allison to tears. Apparently Allisons singing hit the right note for the girl to hear. My wife sings and our friend got her to sing with them.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:47 pm

That is a great story, Willy. Thanks for sharing. And thanks for starting this thread. It has sparked spirited discussion and lots of information sharing. We have rather hijacked it at times, and for that I apologize. I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:05 am

No problem Wildcat, no apologies needed. I am glad I started it because it has been enjoyed by all.
If you like the older stuff with a bluegrass sound check out this group. I usually don't post their names but I thought I would link to them in case someone may like them and never has heard them.  The guy I know is the smaller guy, his name is Darrin. They try to do a "old Timey " type sound. After you get to know him he is a hoot. They are trying to get back to the roots of Bluegrass. Anyway if you like the older stuff hopefully you will like these fellows. They put on a excellent show and if you like bluegrass treat yourself to their show if they are in your area. They are down to earth guys and fame hasn't went to their heads.

Click on their name below to see the video.

Dailey and Vincent

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:11 am

There was a member on here the other day who gave me a tip about a young female country artist named Amber Digby. She is pretty good as well. You might look her up on YouTube. "Cowboy Lovin' Night" seems to be one of her best. Enjoy. And thanks again, Willy!  Very Happy 

Regards

Wc

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top