The Newbie and the Scouting Expedition

Go down

The Newbie and the Scouting Expedition

Post by hismastersvoice on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:09 am

So, my untrained eye and I went to the 2 antique shops closest to home yesterday before work. Both stores are a booth-type setup with multiple vendors under one roof. Sounds good, right? I entered with purpose. I was on the lookout for 3 things:

• Radios!
  • Non-descript electronics with dials and switches
  • Old magazines

I passed the booth with all the glasses. I'd been here before not to long ago. I cut down the middle, and found a pile of vintage LIFE and LOOK magazines stacked on top of a box of radio tubes ironically enough. No prices. I moved on. I scanned the shelves...paying close attention to any corners or dark lower areas where a vendor might have stashed my treasure. Nothing.

I headed to the room in the back with all the vinyl. Maybe the vendor with all these records had a thing for radios. I found one old GE transistor. 10 bucks. Broken antenna. Clean battery compartment. No thanks. I found a few others, and another bin of magazines that was marked this time. 5 bucks a piece. Time to head across the street.

Store #2

I hadn't been in this store in about a year. I remembered before they had some vintage radios. I remember seeing a couple old clock radios I really liked, but I opted out of buying them before. I saw 1 or 2 radios in the whole store...40 booths. The trip wasn't fruitless. I picked a copy of the Peddler which lists ads for stores and shows all over the state and even down in Georgia and Florida.

The Radios I Found

This was the first one I stumbled upon. $35. It's a Zenith something or other. I didn't pick it up.

I think this is reproduction. The little plaque on the front says something like "Thomas Collectible Radio. It was $35.

An old Silvertone someone wants $225 for. Dreamer.

The aforementioned GE Transitor. $10.

An RCA Victor. I've seen these on ebay...I had no idea they were so huge. This thing was about 18" wide. I've obviously not shared space with ANY of these radios I'm looking at online. (Sorry, I'm too lazy to look up models. I slept 2 hours last night, and then I was just awake for no reason.) A whopping $270 for this one.

Another RCA. Also a little larger than I'd like to mess with. The logo on the front is broken, and the plastic ring around the speaker has a broken piece at the top. Couldn't find a price on this one and it was on a shelf over my head, so...no.  Laughing

I'm not sure who the manufacturer is on this one. It *looks* RCA-ish. $48.

Doublestack. Didn't price these even though the price is on the bottom one THREE times (This was right before I left). The top one is a DeWald...or whatever.

The only piece of non-descript equipment I found. Welltex DC Power Supply. $16.50 Do I need this? What for? No? Good.   tongue 

No, No I Won't Post Every Shopping Adventure

I guess I will spare you my future shopping endeavors unless I find something really cool, see something really cool, or buy something really cool.

Any deals here, Ladies and Gentlemen?

Looks like I'm going to have to veer off the beaten path.
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Newbie and the Scouting Expedition

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09 am

Thomas is an old name that has been taken up by marketers of reproductions of old radio and audio equipment. They also market Crosley branded merchandise. Here is what Thomas was known for back when I was growing up. They used to provide prizes for Let's make a deal for their advertisment. http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=thomas+organ&qpvt=thomas+organ&FORM=IGRE
75X11

Number of posts : 4894
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:40 am

The best place to find radios is at farm auctions, at least in Bugtussle where I live. I once got 17 radios, in a washtub, covered by a tarp, in a driving rain, in Pittsburg, MO for $3. I bought a lot of records at an auction in 2007 that filled, completely to overflowing and tied down like fence posts a 3/4 ton Chevy longbed pickup and a Dodge shortbed. All for $1. I was the only bidder. Antique stores seem to be staffed and stocked by people who subscribe to Craigslist. Their prices leave me speechless, and that is going some. The three RCA's you posted are the only ones I would like. I like to wave cash money at the cashier in antique stores to get their attention. SOMETIMES that works.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:37 pm

Those are some neat radios, (well some) but over-priced.

It's all about the thrill if the chase.

Where I've gotten radios;

Estate sales
Estate auctions
eBay auctions
Garage sales
Antique stores (very seldom due to prices)
Goodwill (we have a Goodwill all-electronics store here)
I've trolled Craigslist but never have purchased a radio off of it, most people think they have gold and in reality it's junk.
Friends/family--even if they don't have anything to offer, many times they can offer leads to those have old sets just collecting dust.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:46 pm

At least you don't have to hear sand from your WIFE when you drag something home!  Laughing 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:27 pm

It looks like I'm under a temporary radio-buying hiatus anyway.  Sad 

I've got replace this box I'm typing on before it explodes...and secure my vacation spot for September.

I must need more time to study! Not to mention I got 4 orders from a posting on fiverr.com to restore some photographs for a return customer who apparently keeps her photos stored under water.  Laughing 

I'll be around, though, to live vicariously through you all.  Smile 
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:59 am

You have the bug, HMV.  There is no cure.  There is no hiatus.  There is no antidote.  The fix is another radio, or two, or three.  More, more, more.  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:09 am

A lot of my radios I got years ago. I had a deal when I was about the age you probably are now. I was going to school to get my degree in electronics. I had a deal going with a fellow that had a second hand store. He bought a lot at these auction houses. He could get a 25 inch TV for a buck or so. He bought a lot of things in bulk. If he got any tube radios he gave them to me, this was the early 80s and no one wanted tube stuff then . I would take the TVs and see if I could get them to work. Most of the time they were junk and I would gut the cases if they were. Then I would take the cases to him and he would turn them into book cases for 5 bucks each. He made a buck or two if it wasn't worth fixing and 50 to 100 if it was fixed. So he was happy.

Now days I find most of my stuff I buy at radio meets. Most of what I want is stuff like books,advertising and parts. I have more than enough radios so I don't buy any unless its a good deal or I want it. I posted a add on a internet sales site like craigslist in my area. I have had so-so luck. I have got a few repair jobs by folks asking me if I fixed stuff, one guy is bringing me stuff from time to time to take in on repairs I do for him. I have bought a few ,no real deals so to speak. I have been contacted by a couple of folks who have second hand stores because of that. One fellow had 5 or 6 radios like my philco 70 cathedral he said and when I went to look at them they were the 60s console stereos. The other shop may turn out better for me. I bought a couple from her to break the ice, a 60s Japan radio, and a few other things. The lady that owns this place is looking for stuff for me.

As far as antique malls I have had some decent luck there. I set my shop up like a old radio or TV shop, pre 60s type. So I am looking for old TV shop stuff. I bought a old soldering iron, the type you heated with a fire/heat source for 8 bucks. I also got a old TV shop mirror to adjust pictures. As far as radios this past summer I got a really nice late 50s tube radio for 15 bucks. A few weeks ago I was in a antique mall. I didn't expect to get anything but one booth had a few radios. I really liked a couple but they were a bit higher. I got to talking to a person there asking about one that didn't have a price. she said she would make a good deal. I told her what I saw was wrong with them, about what they cost. She asked what I would pay and she took it.

For me I do the best at radio meets, I have has some luck at second hand stores and some luck at antique malls. I don't do ebay, I probably should so I can get parts. But that is how I find the stuff I get. But then I have a 30x52 shop filled with stuff so I don't need much. The shops full so I have very little room to get new stuff.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:24 pm

That's awesome, Willy. I tell ya, back door privileges at a local secondhand store are handy at the least. I worked at one part time for a couple years, and became great friends with the owner. He had been in the business 10 years, and he had deals with local businesses for scratch and dent, floor models, etc. He also hit the estate sales and storage unit auction, but something I never saw was any of these old radios. He did get one huge console once, but he didn't deal a lot in antiques. They were too hard from him to sell. Anyway, he moved on to running his own moving business here in town, but he still hits the sales and auctions when he can and has a big yard sale about once a year.

It's going to take some looking to find a good source for radios around here. I'm going to have to get creative.
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:59 pm

Are you close to Charlotte NC? If so check this out.
http://antiqueradiocharlotte.homestead.com/index.html

Check out Rons radio heaven at
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/menu.html

If so go to their meets and see what you can find. You might even find a elmer or two.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Thanks Willy! I'm only a couple hours from Charlotte. I appreciate the links!
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down