Radio #2 is Probably Scrap

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Radio #2 is Probably Scrap

Post by hismastersvoice on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:42 pm

This was the first radio I bought on ebay. I'm glad it wasn't the first one I received. This fella was a super slow shipper, but I thought, "No problem. I'd rather have a slow shipment that is packaged well and not broken than a lightning fast shipment that is a pile of rubble when it arrives."

I got a slow shipment and a radio that will probably be a $21 start to my parts pile.

Here you can see his original image from his listing on the left, and mine on the right:

See how the top aluminum panel where the handle is attached is bent and bowed downward?

This resulted in a chain reaction down through the chassis.

You can see where the bottom of the chassis is attached to the case...the brackets are also bent.

I guess I will start my "Hall of Shame" along with Mr. Radio. I'm not sure what happened. It appears it happened between the photos and the packaging. The radio arrived amply wrapped in bubble wrap and submersed in a huge box of packing peanuts. The box was undamaged.

As a result, I left the Seller neutral feedback, and sent him these images with a few more. I'm not seeking a return or refund. A lesson bought is a lesson taught.

I was looking to kick off my new hobby with the restoration of this radio, but I'm not sure it would ever be correct even if I attempted to unbend the bends. What say you all? Have you ever restored a radio that was bent or is this the start of my pile of spare parts?

Back to the shopping board.
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Radio #2 is Probably Scrap

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 pm

I can't tell from the pictures just how badly it's damaged, and, it will never look like new, again. But, it should still be repairable.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Thanks, Bill. Nothing appears broken. The top aluminum, and the metal brackets that hold the chassis are bent. I would describe the bends as slight. Some pressure in the right places would probably put them back near right. I just wasn't sure if everything would ever meet up right again. This radio is actually bigger than I expected! It's so hard for me to interpret size from images and measurements. Hey, I appreciate your response!

What would you recommend as a first radio for a newbie with questionable soldering skills?  Cool My stats are like 4 good solders out of an attempted 10. LOL! This was on much smaller electronics, mind you. The 4 good ones were on big stuff! I hope you all get a good laugh out of me every now and then. I'd consider it a compliment.  Smile

EDIT: Sorry the images are so small. I'm not sure why that is. I must have checked the resize box by mistake.
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:14 pm

Found this:

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t1617-maybe-we-should-start-a-list-of-radios-to-avoid-for-newbies

Thought I'd post it in case other newbies happen by here.
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Well, you need to hone in on your soldering skills.. Takes practice, but, I see no reason why you can't learn to be proficient with practice. It takes time. You want neat solder joints.
Hope you are using the correct solder. The new stuff isn't compatible with acid based solder, which is what all old equipment uses. It's Acid based rosin core.
The new type is not compatible...
I think the radio is repairable.
I'd look for some simple five tube ac dc table radios with octal tubes for practice. You also need safety equipment. What type of equipment, and, tools do you have??
We are starting on a new thread on safety hints. We hope to post it in the next few days......
It is innovative, and, should be of good help to people.....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Well, honestly, the quality of my soldering iron is questionable. I bought it quite a while back at Harbor Freight. It was cheap! I used it the first time just in the last week. I got the rosin core, but as for the acid-based, I am unsure. I will add that to my list. I don't want to waste time using the wrong stuff.

I will also be researching your recommendation as outlined in all that Greek above. I'm kidding. Hmmm..safety equipment? You mean snorting solder smoke is bad? That's about the only safety equipment I have is a small fan that blows the smoke away from my face. Oh, and safety glasses. I will check that thread you are talking about. I'm an artist and writer exploring outside my territory. Everything is new.

As far as tools, I have some basic stuff:

Multimeter
Dremel
Drill
Cheap soldering iron with various tips
Wire
Pliers and wire cutters in different sizes
Basic tools like screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches, hammer, etc.
A decent assortment of utility knives
Baseball bat

I'm on the lookout for various items like a tube tester, but these things aren't the top of my list at this point.

I appreciate you taking the time to discuss this with me a bit. I have a TON of questions which I am trying to answer myself through research and reading, so any tidbits you can share are much appreciated.

I'm off to work. 2nd Shifter. Have a nice evening, Radio Fans.

hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:40 pm

Baseball bat. Now, that's a girl after my own heart.
The thread isn't up, yet...
It's in the works.
Be glad to help.
An isolation transformer would help.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:17 pm

Please, I beg you, DO NOT attempt to work on a radio until you read our safety thread. When I was learning to solder, my grandfather had me solder paper clips together for practice. Paper clips are very similar in size to the components commonly found in an old radio.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:34 pm

Sorry to see that!

Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad 

I will let you know this....as a registered buyer off of eBay since the 1990s, there are SOME radios out there, that now matter how well packed will end up damaged. The only way to learn is from experience (sadly). That looks like seller packing issues, but, even if it was packed well, it still may have had issues.

For example, some radios are 'top' or 'bottom heavy'. Depending on the chassis layout, I've had some where the shear weight of the metal chassis "swung" during shipment and rips off of its small bakelight cabinet mounting points--resulting in a damaged cabinet and/or chassis. Probably need to start a list of those as well. Just something to think about. Your Transoceanic was built like a tank at the factory on purpose, so that's why it survived. That, plus it is wood construction. Thin plastic has give, but in all the wrong ways! Shocked 

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but I would say that radio is NOT a total loss and repairable. I've seen some amazing things done with total "hulks" from this hobby and my automotive hobbies.

As far as your tools go, you have a good start. A GOOD (not cheap) soldering iron is mandatory. Forget the wimpy 30-40 watt "pencil" type units. Get a good 100+ watt "gun" type soldering iron. Old radios have a lot larger thermal mass (more connections and surface area to heat up then little modern circuit boards).

You need some sort of "ugly boxy 1950s radio" to start with. Some simple 5 tube ac/dc set. BUT, you definitely need an isolation transformer apart of your set-up.

I've gone into great detail on tools and safety in this thread:

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t1915-step-by-step-restoration-ge-t-106c-let-s-go-for-it

Like any hobby, it will have its ups and downs. Don't get discouraged. Cool
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:53 pm

As far as your tools go, you have a good start. A GOOD (not cheap) soldering iron is mandatory. Forget the wimpy 30-40 watt "pencil" type units. Get a good 100+ watt "gun" type soldering iron.

A small soldering iron might be your problem. You can find a Weller (for instance) dual temp gun on Ebay or from major electronics stores, like MCM for instance. You don't need a dual heat unit, but they make life nice.  Wink  I would go 150 watt or higher. JMO
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:34 pm

I agree on a better soldering gun. There are plenty of real nice old Weller 8200n soldering guns available and at reasonable prices on Ebay. These are 100/140 watt. This is what you need.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:43 pm

These are 100/140 watt. This is what you need.

Thanks for the clarification. Years ago I used a 150/250 (?) and couldn't remember what the new ones are...as far as wattage. Regardless, as previously mentioned, those small pencil irons will not work on the larger electronics.
N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:47 pm

N7ZAL

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:53 am

The higher wattage is for heavy duty soldering. Weller made them all the way up to 300 watts. The one Mezlaw recommends is the best one for your needs.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Y'all are awesome!! In the spirit of a true newbie and a girl...I don't know what an isolation transformer is, but I will find out here in just a minute! I will invest in a better soldering iron/gun! Thanks for the suggestions and links!

Don't worry, WC, I will read your thread before I start. I mean, I have this transformer thing and a new soldering iron to buy, so I have some time to study. Thanks again, everyone for being so great. I appreciate you all!
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:16 pm

Holy Canolis!  Shocked Are isolation transformers always about a half a million dollars? The thing looks like a surge protector on steroids with fewer plugs. It's going to be a while before I get one of these, so I'll have plenty of time to figure some other things out.  Smile What wattage do I need?
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:48 pm

Less than a quarter of a million...what a bargain! Thanks Mezlaw...at least I know what to look for and around how much it will cost me. I mean this thing could save me from getting electrocuted, right?
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:58 pm

I mean this thing could save me from getting electrocuted, right?

Yes, this is the "price" you should be looking at.

We just got you as a member and want to keep you around!  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:00 pm

Have you checked out Jameco Electronics?

They also have a 500va unit.

This should do for simple AC/DC sets

http://www.jameco.com/1/1/1999-itr300-300va-isolation-transformer-input-120vac-60hz.html

Yes, this could save your life.

Did you not review my thread with the "cartoons" explaining how these work?? Smile

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 pm

Another good place to get some of the essential tools is at radio swap meets and Ham radio shows. You can usually find some really good stuff without breaking the bank. I've picked up some EXTREMELY NICE equipment for next to nothing.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:31 pm

One relatively simple radio to start with would be the first one I did, the one that appears as my avatar and its' model number is my handle.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:59 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:Have you checked out Jameco Electronics?

Did you not review my thread with the "cartoons" explaining how these work??  Smile

Not as of yet, but I will. I have seen this thread either, but I will find it! I'm still reading around. Fortunately, this forum has a mobile version that translates rather well to my phone so I can browse and read at work. I monitor security systems, so there's a bit of downtime in between alarms which I usually spend reading.

Motorola man wrote:Another good place to get some of the essential tools is at radio swap meets and Ham radio shows.  You can usually find some really good stuff without breaking the bank.  I've picked up some EXTREMELY NICE equipment for next to nothing.  

Thanks for the tip! I work every weekend, but I will start checking for listings and see if I can make any of these.

75X11 wrote:One relatively simple radio to start with would be the first one I did, the one that appears as my avatar and its' model number is my handle.

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I'm an obvious RCA fan, and that's a cute radio! I will look for one of these!
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:17 pm

Look around at junk and antique shops for an isolation transformer. I bought one last summer in a junk shop for $3. They had no idea what it was. Like others have said, we want you to work safely and stay around for awhile. Good luck,

Regards,

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top