My First Radio Just Arrived!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My First Radio Just Arrived!

Post by hismastersvoice on Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:57 pm

I bought an RCA Victor 6-BX or BX-6 Globetrotter about 6 days before I won this auction, but this one got here first.

Even though it was described as working and picking up many stations, I shan't be plugging it in. I guess this one will get ushered into the shop, and put on the back burner as I've been told it's probably not the best starting point. I have watched several videos and read through a PDF from another forum about how to go about restoring it. I might clean up the case a little, so I can show it off. It is filthy!

A close up of the dirt:

I think a tube is missing?

Also, the power cord has been spliced. There is some electrical tape about 6 inches down. It's hard to see in this picture.

There's lots of ancient looking components in there, so...yep, not plugging her in.

Inspector #12 doing his work.

So, there you have it. A newbie and her new old radio. I don't have a destination for this old girl yet. I definitely want to attempt to restore it, but I'm not feeling as confident today after a failed Bluetooth project I was working on. I took a trip to Radio Shack last night and found where to buy my capacitors and resistors. I also went to Harbor Freight and bought a few must-have items like a drill and multi-meter.

It's a bit difficult to have a shop that is stocked for art (I draw and paint), and have to buy all the supplies for a new hobby. These fellows in these videos just make supplies appear like magic.  Very Happy  Not to mention, I had to consult some online video to even know how to use a multi-meter. I am truly starting from scratch when it comes this electronic stuff. I have been the go-to computer person among my friends and family for years, but that's A LOT different. It's all software and hardware...not capacitors and wire!

I am starting a journey. I hope the passion I feel about the sheer beauty of these devices will sustain through the coming rough times. I'm glad to have this forum.
hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: My First Radio Just Arrived!

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:08 pm

In searching for the component parts for these older higher voltage radios , you will probably have to find the parts online. They shouldn't break the bank if you shop around. We put up sources on our links forum as we find sources who are like us: good and cheap. If you consider getting things together as part of the hobby, it will come easier for you. I'll put up some more of my sources soon.
75X11

Number of posts : 5023
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:54 pm

The components offered at Radio Shack will be, probably in the case of capacitors, too low a working voltage for tube radios. The resistors they offer are usually 1/4 watt types. Here is an assortment of resistors that are more in the wattage range of the original resistors. There are some sources on the links forum for caps. Your schematic parts lists should list the values for your components.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=111253043644
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:26 pm

Ah, okay. I don't know. LOL! I just saw pull-out bins of parts. I was like, "Oh, look, those things." It's going to be a long road.  Shocked 

In other news, the radio just had its first bath. Like the guy in that PDF I mentioned before, I washed her down with Saddle Soap, warm water, and a rag. This will have to be done again before I restore the cabinet, but oh my, the gunk!

This was the water when I was done:

Old news to you all, I'm sure. I bet if I washed it again right now, the water would be just as funk-ti-fied.

Lot's of patching in the Stag to do too. Tiny holes all over. Here she is drying:

Hopefully, it's enough of an improvement that I will be allowed to keep the thing in the house. haha

I'll keep this thread updated as I go along. Thanks for the comments so far, and I will definitely check out some links. I was hoping to avoid ordering online because it takes SO LONG for this stuff to arrive, but it looks like I will learn more patience in this process as well. You know, those caps and resistors at Radio Shack were ridiculous anyway....some of them were more than $2. I heard a guy on a video say some resistors were just a few cents each, and I thinking...hmmm. Goodness me. I can't wait to show this radio to my dad!!!  Very Happy
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:26 pm

We'll I'm glad it arrived in one piece! Shocked  I've got a "Hall of Shame" I'm working on. I've literally had the worst packers in the world sell to me (various items) from eBay! So you are already ahead in the game! Very Happy 

Here's some info for you;

The good news is your radio isn't "missing" a tube. That is a socket meant for a ballast tube to regulate line voltages. In other words, you have one the last designed H500 series. There were many versions as Zenith continued to improve or alter the layout of this chassis. You're radio doesn't need it to work.

As far as parts go, have you heard of Mouser Electronics? I've done a lot of business with them. They are a GIGANTIC supplier of electronic parts. Best of all, they have NO minimum order. They are located in Mansfield Texas. Their printed catalog is thicker than many phone books.  Shocked 

www.mouser.com

Looks like you did a great job cleaning it up. Hopefully it was officially approved by Inspector #12.  lol! 

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:51 pm

Ah, you didn't happen to post a video on YouTube about a shattered radio, did you? I think I saw it in my travels. Fella swore up and down to never shop ebay again. It's a shame, really. I'd feel terrible if I shipped something that got broken. This thing came wrapped it some kinda packing material...it looked a lot like diapers. hehe Did the trick, though.

Thanks for the info about the empty socket. I wasn't sure what was going on there.

I have heard of Mouser! I've checked out their website briefly a time or two. I will definitely check it out more in depth on your recommendation. I like the no minimum order, and that it's not overseas. Thanks for the link!
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:31 pm

hismastersvoice wrote:Ah, you didn't happen to post a video on YouTube about a shattered radio, did you? I think I saw it in my travels. Fella swore up and down to never shop ebay again.

Nope, wasn't me. If I "gave up" early on due to sellers that didn't know what they were doing, I wouldn't have lasted long on eBay! Embarassed 

I've got some real doosies that I took pictures of though...
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:24 am

I hate to hear it. A disappointment all around. Ruined piece of history, and package full of blah. I hope they are few and far between! I joined Mouser and did a one-time order of their print catalog. I'm looking forward to receiving it.
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisc on Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:18 pm

Congratulations on your first radio. Those are fine sets.

I am a relative Noob but I have worked on a few ZTO's and I'd just like to share some of my experiences: firstly, the chassis for the radio is very cramped so, although what you are trying to do is not all that hard electrically, its very 'fiddly' . The best advice I could give would be 'take your time' and just do a few parts at a time. Be very deliberate and don't try to work on it if you're tired or in a hurry. Also, there are several electrolytic capacitors in there and, although we usually suggest replacing these with 450V caps (simply because they are cheap and will last for a very long time), here you will need to use smaller 160V rated ones to be able to fit them in where they need to go. Re-stuffing the aluminium capacitor cans is probably the most demanding task. Also do not pull the tubes out or put them in while there is any charge in the capacitors. You can kill them just like that. Use crocodile clip cables to discharge the caps first.

This is a lot of radio if you are not used to working on them but you can certainly do it if you take it steady. I believe you have been informed about the 'Badrestorer' restoration thread and I urge you to stick to that like glue. PS they are addictive so don't kid yourself that you will be happy with just one ! Good Luck !

chrisc

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:59 pm

Thanks, Chris. It's nice to hear from someone else who is relatively new to this. Your advice is well-taken, and I thank you for it. I did an initial read-through of the entire BadRestorer thread. I know exactly what you are talking about with those aluminum cap cans thanks to that. I'm in no hurry as I am still building my tool base. I expect this might be the radio that sits on the bench for a while, and I work on it when I can't work on another one. I am looking forward to seeing it restored. I will probably either give it to my dad as a gift or resell it...or I might just keep this old beauty. I'm sure I won't have a problem finding a home for it whatever the outcome.

Best of luck to you as you travel forward with this hobby. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:19 pm

In gathering your tools, try visiting the pawn shops. Many times they will take the small hand tools and put them in bins to pick through and if you do, and look for diagonal cutting pliers, close the jaws and hold them up to the light. you will want them to meet the full length of the jaws with no gaps nor nicks. (you'll see what I mean)
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top