Rusted Case Hardware

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rusted Case Hardware

Post by Doug Burskey on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:51 pm

I have a Newcomb transcription record player that the hardware like the latch and the corner reinforcements etc. are rusted. Can anything be done with these to make them look better short of replacements.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 227
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Re: Rusted Case Hardware

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:47 pm

Mine were like that after 60 years. I put mine in my bead blast cabinet, and shot them with walnut hulls. It cleaned off the rust without pitting the metal. After I had them clean, I sprayed them with matte clear. I did this same thing to the hardware on a couple of other record players as well. If a blast cabinet was not available, the same thing could be done with, say, 600 grit sandpaper to remove the contamination, followed by a polishing with 4-aught steel wool to smooth the sanding marks out. Then clear coat the parts to prevent the recurrence of rust. I like to use urethane clear for its durability and its ease of cleaning. I did this in the auto restoration business on parts that I wanted to look like bare metal, but I didn't want to rust. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5285
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:56 am

On small items I use Electrolytic rust removal. Its a easy process to use. It doesn't remove any of the good metal  and doesn't warp items. The item may have a black coating but that can be washed off easy. There is a lot on the web about it. Only down side I have seen is that if the piece is electroplated like chrome that may come off. Other than that I prefer it as it is the easiest I have found and it can be done while I am doing something else.

Electrolytic rust removal

I had a old fan I wanted to restore. I took it apart and cleaned the fan ,fan cover and case using this method. I didn't want to warp or bend the fan blades or fan cover. Here is a before

And the after picture.

After it was clean I washed off the black from the cleaning. I then dried it and primered all the parts. I painted the blade and cover with spray can chrome paint and the fan motor an frame with blue spray can I had. I use it on my workbench.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:01 pm

for small stuff a crock pot and molasses, rinse with water, then slosh in phosphoric acid / water solution aka metalprep for a few minutes. Then prime, paint or seal with a acrylic clear.
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top