Zenith Trans-Oceanic H500

Go down

Zenith Trans-Oceanic H500

Post by hismastersvoice on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:20 pm

So...this newbie made her last radio purchase for a while. My ebay account looks like a 1950's radio shop blew up in there. I won an auction last night for this beauty for 56 bucks and some change.

The seller says it works, but needs a good cleaning.

So, how am I doing? Good choice? I think it's breathtakingly beautiful. Any suggestions on restoring this for posterity?

I've done some reading...I know I don't want to use any type of solvent. It might be necessary to replace caps. This model has one rare and expensive tube...can't remember the part number at the moment, but it has an L in it. It also has a dang, what was that thing called...something I might want to replace with a diode. It might have been some type of resistor.

Have any of you worked on one of these? Since it's working, should I just leave it alone and concentrate on cleaning it? How can I clean this up and getting it gleaming like new? I've read some things about certain types of polish and whatnot to use. Also, I found all the paperwork on this model at archive.org. I got the service manual and schematics.

I dabble in a lot of hobbies, but nothing has excited me like these radios. Thanks for stopping by to read and answer questions.

hismastersvoice

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2014-01-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Zenith Trans-Oceanic H500

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:29 pm

I would start with replacing all the caps!  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:57 pm

Got it. Thanks!
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:11 pm

The fact that it works puts you ahead of the game. I always approach EVERY item of tube electronics that I acquire as if it does not work and that it needs one of EVERYTHING. I go through each one the same way. This seems to save grief and I know what I have when I get done. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:44 pm

I guess the "bug" has bitten you. Very Happy 

You may want to "put off" this project for now. The TO's are very, very involved. As a newbie, I would recommend you go slowly and start out with the simple AC/DC sets and work your way up to the multiband radios and such. For the others reading this, I apologize I haven't done any updates to my resto-thread in the electrical/mechanical section. I promise, I will get to updating it!!

Here it is for the "newbies": http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t1915-step-by-step-restoration-ge-t-106c-let-s-go-for-it

John (aka "badrestorer") did a lengthy how-to on his restoration experience on the antique radio forum. It was converted to .pdf here:

http://www.renovatedradios.com/articlePages/H500%20Restoration%20Guide.pdf

It's BIG so it takes a long time to load depending on your computer and bandwidth.

Just my 2 cents! Surprised 
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:39 pm

Ha! I downloaded that guide last night and was reading through it. Gonna read some more this evening. I respect your advice that maybe this isn't the best project to start with. I actually bought another radio 6 days before this one. It was an RCA something or other; non-working. Funny how the trans-oceanic (why do I always want to say "trans-atlantic"?) is already in transit.

This was also a bit of an investment for a new hobby, but hopefully I can recoup my money on a resale should I decide to ditch it altogether.

I have been horribly bitten. I have spent more time on ebay in the last week than I have in the whole 10 years I had an account before that! I really appreciate y'all taking the time to comment. When I get my radios, I'll make a thread for each in the appropriate forum and drag you along on my journey restoring them.
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:15 pm

I'm thinking about selling this clunker. I think I jumped the gun with this one. I'd read Trans-Oceanics were really something, so when I found this one on ebay, I thought I really had something. I see now, they are quite common.

It's going to take a bit of money to see this thing restored, and I'm just not sure I'm ready for all of that. I think it might be wise for me to let it go (or I might store it in the shop) and focus on smaller, simpler projects.

Funny thing happened today...this beast was about 10 minutes from making its way upstairs when my roommate came in, dropped her smartphone, and the screen cracked when it hit the radio. Doh!

Flimsy, substandard electronics don't have a chance. Anyway, I'm mulling over what I want to do with this one.
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:22 pm

Why hurry?? You'll learn.. They're not that hard.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4590
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by b_body_bill on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:16 am

I agree with Bill. You got it at a great price. Put it back some where and after you get some experience rebuild it. I have 3 different versions of Trans-Oceanics and they are all great players. Check out this link http://www.zenithtrans-oceanic.portabletubes.co.uk/
b_body_bill

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:45 pm

I don't get rid of anything. Especially without fixing it first. It would haunt me forever, knowing that I didn't get it going. But, that's just me.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:36 pm

I agree with dr radio and bill
they are nice sets I have 4 versions all original work and look great
if you are restoring the change caps and selenium rectifier not hard but very tight space
and don`t break coils as for 1L6 tube they are out their still or buy electronic one
far as cleaning I used spray nine and warm water skin is not leather don`t remember name of it you can use shoe polish I test on junk one paste didn't get in to pours and liquid look to shiny and fake
you should watch joernone youtube video`s
p.s. I like your face pic better then eye pic
WOW with all that said most I ever posted on here  What a Face 
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:04 pm

I would hang on to any interesting radio that survived the "curse of eBay shippers"  lol! 

Yes,  you can always restore it "later".  "Later" for some of us ranges from 6 months to 40 years after the purchase  lol! 

It's one of those things where if you get rid of it, later on, you'll definitely say "Darn, I wish I still had my first Transoceanic!"
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisc on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:06 pm

It's really not hard once you get into the swing of it although it could be wise to try a simple 'AA5' set first, just to get some practice and the confidence that goes along with getting a success (or two) under your belt.

Don't let that 'Transoceanic' mystique get to you - I am sure you are more than capable of fixing it , just not in 5 minutes.

chrisc

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2012-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by hismastersvoice on Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Thanks y'all. My thoughts jump around a lot! I usually try not to post whims! The T-O is up safe in the shop.  Very Happy 
hismastersvoice

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down