Densi-Lambda power supply

Go down

Densi-Lambda power supply Empty Densi-Lambda power supply

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:08 am

I'm just wandering if any of you have or had any Power supplies made by that company? The reason i ask is bc i purchased a 12V 12.5A one from Alan Douglas on the ARF a few years ago and it finally failed. It lasted i would say pretty close to 4 years which isnt bad considering i didnt give very much for it. The crazy thing is i barely even ran it at max output. I would pull about half an amp out of it on a regular basis, just from my little fan i use all the time. Apparently something on the bottom side of the board shorted out or plain failed as it is sooty in one spot. I always had my devices fused and it was mounted in a plastic housing. I'm just glad it went out after my desktop computer went out bc i'm now using my old desktop PSU to provide me with 12V at 17A according to the label. It is also providing me with 5V at 15A which is nice for charging my phone w/o having to find an open plug for a wall wart. Hopefully i can get a "real" power supply sometime. I've considered building one that uses a rectifier tube instead of diodes, but that is still alot of voltage that would have to be stepped down. I just wouldnt know how to go about doing something like that or even know if i'd have the time..
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 651
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Densi-Lambda power supply Empty Re: Densi-Lambda power supply

Post by 75X11 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:00 am

When I worked in bench and ATE testing, most of the power supplies used were made by lambda. They were very good supplies but most are probably getting old enough for component failures to set in on ones in use. Here is a source for lambda power supplies.

http://www.surplussales.com/PowerSupplies/PowerSuppliesMain.html
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:26 pm

If that is a power supply about the size of a red brick like used to face a house and has screw terminals on one end it shouldn't be too hard to find. The coin op video games use them. I use to see then back in the 80s when I worked on video games. I have also seen some on rack mount computer equipment. Check at video game places ,people who deal with rack mount stuff and computer recycling centers. I have seen all kinds of power supplies that could be repurposed for stuff in more business like computer stuff.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:33 pm

This supply isnt too far off from being the size of a brick. Except it used molex connectors on the voltage in and out sides. It is probably quite old,as Alan had a bunch of them stored in his barn. After this one failed it makes me not want to get anymore power supplies that are designed like that. I'll likely end up building a power supply,even if i have to buy each piece one at a time.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Radio shack makes or at least use to make a really good 12 volt 3 amp supply. I bought one as a teen and still have it. It has two transistors in it and really easy to copy. You can find diagrams on the web of it. If I need a 12 volt supply I get my diagram out of it and make one.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:38 pm

Lamda used to make excellent power supplies. If you are looking to buy one, there are many out there made for Ham transceivers. Some are switchers and can be had for around $50-100 new.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:10 pm

I thought about buying a new supply, but I think i'd rather build one. As i need one that can do at least 10 amps, just in the event i want to run a small amplifier or need to run more than 1 thing at a time off of it. I came across a 240VA 20 volt xfmr on ebay for 25.00, which is about 10 amps. In the event something happens, i can easily make repairs. Also making my own it will be 13-14 volts and under a load i will still have 12 volts, with my last one it was exactly 12 volts and i'd end up with 10-11 volts under a load.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:52 pm

The ONLY power supplies that we use at work is Astron. With as many as we have out there, we see relatively few that ever have problems. Most of the problems that I see is caused by lightning. I've got at 35A variable output and a 50A 12V on my bench that I use 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Both have been around for years and have never given any problems.
Motorola man
Motorola man

Number of posts : 370
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 pm

I agree about Astron. We used them for all the bench applications at Diversified. Even before I moved down here, the shop I worked for used to sell them to customers to power their base stations at fire houses and police stations.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:20 am

Yes, that is one I referred to. Used it to power a TS-440 transceiver and it worked at 20 amps.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down