What causes this?

Go down

What causes this?

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:23 pm

This RCA tv has a condition that I have not seen. You tv experts, what causes this round spot on the CRT?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-TV-RCA-VICTOR-Late-1940s-Early-1950s-WORKS-/231121668915?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item35cfeccb33

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: What causes this?

Post by willy3486 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Could the yoke be slipped off? I know that sounds like a simple solution but if a yoke slips off some seems like it looks similar to this. Its been a few years since I worked on one but looks like it is pulled off the tube a little and twisted a lit
tle as well.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:37 pm

I really like this set. I had wondered about the yoke, but I'm certainly not the brightest bulb in the lamp when it comes to tv. Reckon would that condition be terminal, or something that is like an adjustment? If the yoke has slid on the neck of the tube, does more serious damage likely result? Could this tv have been subjected to rough handling and suffered other damage? Why would cause the yoke to move on the CRT? Just curious here, and I appreciate your response.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:05 pm

Its at 150 now, would it be worth that? I don't know what would cause it to get luuse unless someone loosened it. But like I said its been may years since I worked on old B&W sets. If its not broke I guess you could slide it back to its position.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1424
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Most tv's from this era have yokes that are held onto the neck of the picture tube by a round plastic cover and a clamp. The plastic degrades and crumbles away leaving nothing there to hold the yoke tight against the crt. When the tv is then moved or tilted backwards, the yoke slides back causing this effect. It can be fixed by fabricating a new plastic cover and clamp to hold the yoke tight again so its not terminal and not even electrical. The yoke can be pushed back against the crt and a normal raster will be reproduced but as soon as you move the tv the yoke slides back again and is why you will need a new plastic cover and clamp to fix it.
Tony V

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:42 pm

I agree with Tony on this. Very common problem for plastic to degrade on defelction yokes. I've seen it go bad enough to afctyually short out the yoke, but, this one appears to not have gone that far, yet.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4594
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by b_body_bill on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:04 pm

what Tony V said
b_body_bill

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down