Majestic Radio Model 104R

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Majestic Radio Model 104R

Post by wrkout77 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:52 pm

Hi, I've seen a few of the majestic rudolph and lone ranger radios and all of them are model 104. The Rudolph radio that I have has the model number 104R. Is there anyone out there that can tell me what the difference is between the 104 and 104R as I can't seem to find any information. Thank you in advance.

wrkout77

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Majestic Radio Model 104R

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:14 pm

What an appropriate time of year to ask about this radio Very Happy

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say they are most likely the exact same radio chassis-wise, EXCEPT I'm going to assume the "r" stands for "Rudolph" as a notation for the dial lamp arrangement (mounting).

The typical #47 dial light bulb is mounted in such a way that Rudy's nose lights up when the radio is on rather then illuminating a dial.

Other thoughts welcome....
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by wrkout77 on Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:07 pm

That's what I was thinking except I found three other rudolph radios online and all the stickers on the bottom had the model 104 on them. None of them had 104R, so I thought maybe it meant something different. Also the ones I found had two screws in the bottom. Mine has two screws but also has two other holes in the bottom that look like screw holes but no screws. Which is different from the other rudolph radios as well.

wrkout77

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-12-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:20 pm

Well, I did some more Google and Google image searches out of pure curiosity. Looks like I'm wrong. From what I could tell the "Lone Ranger" version is built the same, and apparently his persona lights up as well. The cabinetry should be identical, the Rudolph and Lone Ranger characters interchange in their mountings....

Is yours truly different? Electronically? Cabinet design? (other then the extra holes you mentioned).....Anyone truly know?

Were you just curious, or concerned about circuitry differences if you are going to restore yours?

Sorry, wish I could provide more help. Wish I had one of these radios! Very Happy
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:50 pm

As far a s I know, electrically, they are practically the same.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:24 pm

My research has indicated that Majestic provided chassis for promotional radios that they also used in their proprietary sets.

I have a Coca-Cola radio from 1949. Mine is model 5A410A. There is also a Model 5A410. I have a Majestic table radio, model 5A410. I have a Stark model 1020 that is a dead wringer for the Majestic model I just mentioned. In the Majestic and the Stark, the chassis will interchange cabinet to cabinet. I am therefore satisfied that both radios were made by Majestic. Stark is a minor make as I have only seen two models listed. The Majestic model 5A410 uses octal tubes. The Stark uses miniature tubes, with larger tube sockets to fit the chassis made for octal tubes. My Coke radio uses a 12AV6 in place of the normal 12SQ7. Thus the "A" in the model number suffix. There is also a Coke radio with the 12SQ7. I have heard that the Majestic radio I have was also available with miniature tubes ala the Stark. I have not seen one. The chassis in my Coke radio appears like it would interchange with the other two, but I have not tried it. The dials in all three radios are identical in numbering and in size, the difference being that one has no name (Coke radio) one says "Stark" and one says "Majestic."

It would appear to me that the Rudolph, Charlie McCarthy, Lone Ranger and maybe others are the same radio, may be the same or similar chassis, with different trim appropriate to the promotional situation. Sorry I can't help you any more than this.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:56 pm

Thanks. Looks like you helped a lot.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530