Can't play German made LP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Can't play German made LP

Post by bill57 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:30 pm

This is a shot in the dark but does anyone who collects records( Such as Bill Cahill) know why an LP from the 70's of Gordon Lightfoot made in Germany will not play here in the US? It looks perfect but the needle just skips over it. Could it be that in europe they use a finer tipped needle? Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Can't play German made LP

Post by Nick666 on Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:35 pm

I'm not shure about a record that old, but i do know that the modern limited edition collector vinyl that i buy from europe will not play on the old record changers. they only play properly on a single record turntable that is equipted with a high quality needle such as a Shure V-15 type 3. I'm not shure about a record of that age but i know that with the new vinyl it if because of the half-speed and DMM process that is used to make the masters.It's kind of annoying if you have to buy a new turntable, but nothing beats the sound of the new half-speed or DMM mastered records.If you need to buy a new turntable to play it, i would highly recomend a Akai
AP-007 direct drive with a Shure V-15 Type 3 if you can find one.Hope this helps.

Nick
Nick666

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:05 pm

Thanks, Nick. Good info to know. I figured there had to be a reason. I was trying to play it on an old 70's console.

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top