What happens......

Go down

What happens...... Empty What happens......

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:31 pm

.....to morons who decide to try and outrun the cops? Your basic (daily entertainment in California) car chase.

Some loser moron steals a car and then does something even dumber like running a red light. The cops attempt a traffic stop. The perp takes off like a shot. Through crowded streets, on the freeway weaving in and out of traffic like they are on a go-cart track. Putting hundreds, potentially thousands, of lives in danger. With no regards for other peoples' property. There are a hundred Crown Vics, several helicopters, thousands of cops and support personnel after them. Where do they think they are going? Straight to jail ultimately. The bad guys usually crash or totally destroy somebody's car they stole. They may even have caused multiple car crashes along the way.

My question is this. Who pays for all this carnage? The perpetrators? They usually don't have anything worth taking in a judgment. The car owner? Does their car insuarace pay if an unauthorized driver takes their car and causes damage? The people who get hit or their insurance companies? Do the perpetrators have to make restitution? How do you suck blood out of a turnip? Or does the innocent victims and the tax payers take it on the chin?

This may be one of those "only Wildcat would think of that" threads, but I always wondered. Those car chases, incidentally, provide me many hours of viewing pleasure on You Tube, but I am surprised that technology has not provided a way to shut car chases down more safely. Do any of you guys have reliable information, or personal experience, that could provide an accurate answer? Thanks.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

What happens...... Empty Re: What happens......

Post by 75X11 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Remember This?

http://video.foxnews.com/v/2858277184001/cops-testing-gps-launching-cannon/?intcmp=obnetwork
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:53 pm

All well and good. They are really expensive. What about the fact that most cars and especially SUV's do not have metal trunk lids and tailgates. I was thinking about doing something with the onboard computers in modern vehicles. Why could they not have a "device" ( I have recently learned this new terminology and am proud of myself) of some kind, in a police helicopter, that could shut down the engine. Perhaps not entirely, but certainly limit the speed to like 20 mph. Also apply the brakes gradually, control steering, and then lock the doors. The police could literally drive the chased car if necessary, and capture the bad guy 100% of the time in the process. If the bad guy busted out a window to escape, just tack on another charge. This seem really possible with all the modern day technology to control everything else.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 pm

WC,

I'm in a discussin' mood.

To some up, we all take it in the shorts when somebody pulls this. We, being law abiding, tax and insurance paying citizens.

Something gets trashed? Insurance gonna take it in the shorts? No way! Your insurance premiums go up. Public safety equipment gets trashed during a pursuit? Your taxes go up.

My family has always advocated that criminals shouldn't get to use the nice workout equipment in prisons, they need to clean up and rebuild the mayhem they caused. It would make them think twice and save city budgets buckoo bucks when it is THEY having to repair roads pouring hot asphalt on a nice 100 degree day outside...
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:07 pm

Oh, and your second post, its called On-Star. It will be denied, but its a two way street. Ping the car with a PCM command and sputter sputter....

In fact more and more manufacturers have connectivity packages--I'll respond to your other post--but the auto industry watchdogs are worried about viruses! Yes, just think, your cell/satellite/wi-fi connected vehicle could be attacked by a hacker. One line of code and your brakes fail. This is not science fiction....
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:44 am

Yeah, I know.  We took our 2003 Tahoe into the Chevy dealer to have a defective seat belt repaired.  The technician "talked" to the computer in that old Tahoe.  He gave me a printout of all the parameters of that vehicle from day one.  He told me that we had made over 1200 right turns without the use of a turn signal.  We have a turnaround in the driveway where we back out of the garage and turn around to face the road head on.  IT told the highest oil pressure, average oil pressure, highest vehicle speed, total mileage and time, all kinds of stuff.  There is no lying about your car anymore.  It can tell if you run with low tires, if you ride the brakes, if it has ever overheated, if you tow and don't use Tow-Haul.  All kinds of scary stuff.  Progressive insurance has a deal that hooks into your car computer and tattles on you.  My point would be that using this technology to save life and property is long overdue.  The cops could control the vehicle being chased, and eliminate much of the damage that is all unnecessary.  Auto manufacturers and computer people can eliminate much of the threat of hacking.  I personally don't see the auto manufacturers caring too much.  They build cars.  If you crash one, it needs to be replaced.  Thanks.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:00 am

This afternoon, while on our way to pick up Diamond, my dog, from the vet, we were in a school zone. An idiot weaved, sped past us, and, bobbed traffic at a high rate of speed, and, even dodged a police car. A guard took the license number, and, handed it to the cops.
Hope he had the book thrown at him.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4393
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 am

If your car is stolen and trashed, your insurance co pays for your car. If other people's cars are hit their "uninsured motorist" portion of the policy would most likely kick in.
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:26 pm

You read about car chases, but never hear anything about charges or any punishment these people receive.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum