Meaningless terminology

Go down

Meaningless terminology Empty Meaningless terminology

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:06 pm

I work part-time in retail, and it never ceases to amaze me what people will buy.  Following is the Wildcat list of meaningless terminology.

*"Clinically tested/approved".  What is a "clinic."  Where is said clinic?  Who operates said clinic?  What are their qualifications?  How was the clinic operated, and under what conditions?  What criteria was used for the test?  You get the idea.  Worthless information.

*"All natural".  Folks, dog poop is all natural, but I don't want it in my food.  Everything from nature is all natural.  If I have a radio that the cabinet has been eaten my termites and the chassis is rusty and ruined from mouse pee, can I advertise it as "all natural?"  People pay extra for the words "all natural." All-natural eggs are at least a dollar more a dozen that regular eggs. How does one acquire an "un-natural" egg? Are not ALL hen eggs "all-natural"?

*"Organic."  There are so many different definitions of "organic" that you never know what you are getting.  Big bucks are paid for organic food.  The best way to get hosed in retail.

*"New/Improved/New size".  A half gallon of ice cream should be 64 ounces.  Not anymore, it ain't!  59 ounces and even 56 ounces is the norm.  Instead of the package saying 1/2 gallon of ice cream, it now says, in large letters, "New Size", and it itsy-bitsy letters "59 ounces."  Either way, you are getting hosed.  They did not lower the price, you see.  Changing the color of the lid is not really improved, is it?

*"On sale/special/on ad".  This is usually slow-selling merchandise that is one level away from J-Lo merchandise.  This nomenclature makes you think you are getting a deal.  You are getting hosed.  Normal price, just on ad.

* "Manager's special".  This is merchandise that the manager ordered too much of on his I-thingy, and the district manager chewed his butt about it.  Absolutely no price reduction on this crap.  You are helping the manager save his job by paying above retail for his mistakes.

*"Free range/cage free."  How big is the "range?"  10,000 acres or 10 square feet?  How do they gather eggs on a 10,000 acre range?  As long as the chicken is not in a cage 24-7, their eggs can be called free range/cage free.  What does humane treatment mean?  How do you treat a chicken inhumanely?  By putting off eating it for Sunday dinner for a couple weeks?  Really worthless information and double the price of "inhumane" caged chicken eggs.  Is it more humane to let chickens run free and get eaten by coyotes or to cage the stupid birds and send them to the soup company when they get too old to lay eggs? Rolling Eyes 

Brought to you as a public service.  You probably have some of your own.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Meaningless terminology Empty Re: Meaningless terminology

Post by 75X11 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:29 pm

On the news, juice + "organic" = salmonella or wisteria or e-coli.
Food + "all natural" = 25% price increase, a greater chance of spoiled food.
"Gluten Free". For 1% of the population, allergen free. For the rest, cootie free.
"Things were so much better for you in the good old days". The only thing good about that was that you had no idea how or when you would or could get a disease. Ignorance was bliss.

75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:04 pm

By far, the worst one, (which has been around for years and years)....

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Yeh. I've seen that one a lot... Limited. Yah.
Right. \

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4399
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 am

The good thing about "gluten free" is that they also invented a disease for it to cure. Celiac disease. It means having the extreme scoots. Heck, I get that every time I go to Sonic and order their super deluxe foot long chili cheese dog with extra cheese, onions and extra grease. I don't get a gluten-free weenie bun, either. I like to live dangerously.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:35 am

Extended warranties are another scam foisted on the unsuspecting public. They cover everything except what happens to break on YOUR item. A total waste of money and 100% profit to the store.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:44 pm

....And, you wonder why you get sick?? If I'd eat that, it'd kill me for sure............

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:35 pm

It is amazing how few people are critical thinkers this way. Especially the first one about the clinics. Basic science there. People don't think scientifically or critically and they need to teach more of that basic stuff in high school. Politicitians, media, and others with personal and/or secret agendas take advatage of people's ignorance in fact seeking all of the time. These people are easily controlled, and perhaps this is why they are never publically educated to critically compare words and facts.
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Johnson on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Car Dealers: You pay what we pay!
Steve Johnson
Steve Johnson

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Well, Bill, every Friday evening that I don't have to work, the frau and I hop in the old Buick and head on down to Sonic for a super-greasy, extra everything foot long chili cheese dog. We get our senior discount and they give us 20% off for driving an old car. So I can get the scoots at a discount. Those things are to die for. They are absolutely wonderful!

If something is not on their cell phone, people don't know it exists. They are a lot more concerned about answering a text than thinking critically. Technology is "dumbing down" our society at an alarming rate, in my opinion.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:56 pm

I am really shocked that nobody has asked me what "J-Lo merchandise" is.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:41 am

I'll bite.. What is J lo merchandise??

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:34 am

We all know who or what J-Lo is, right? J-Lo is short for the famous actress/singer who is rather attractive. When a store has J-Lo merchandise, the only way to get rid of said merchandise if for J-Lo to give it away for free in the parking lot. This is nomenclature for unsalable/worthless/cheap merchandise. Thanks for asking. Now you know the rest of the story.

(I'll bet you thought this explanation was going to be risque, huh?)

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:40 am

JLo= Jennifer Lopez

Hey, I'm a millennial....
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:08 pm

What's a "millennial?"  Is this some meaningless terminology that I missed?  If this means you were born after 2000, you are still in diapers. Very Happy 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:32 pm

WC,

It means I was in diapers when Reagan took office...
Very Happy
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:25 pm

I'm bowing out. I still never heard of her, and, don't know the meaning of that fancy, schmancy word, either.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum