AM Transmitter advice needed

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: AM Transmitter advice needed

Post by bowfin on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:19 pm

well 0bviously your design is flawed. and your missing the whole point. I could buy a hamburger, but i know for fact i can make a better one. affraid

david

bowfin

Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioRich on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:44 pm

Hello Bill,
I to own a sstran and it does work vary good the one problem I found in my area there is a lot of Spanish radio station running it was hard to find clear upper channel to use I over power a spanish channel but sometimes they interfer with mine .
Sincerely Rich
P.S. I have mine hooked up to a 100 disc pioneer cd changer I'm also going to add my old am/fm preamp so that way I can even listen to fm on am Smile

RadioRich

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by RadioRich on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Hello Bowfin,
nice job far as that transmitter goes my self I have most of the parts kicking aroud to build it I even have a case just need to round the parts up and put them together .
Sincerely Rich

RadioRich

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2008-03-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tubbytwo on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Naddy69 wrote:Yeah, I've got a 6888 transmitter also. It's OK, but the TH or SSTRAN runs circles around it.
My SSTRAN is OK but sits on the shelf unused because my 6888s all have more output. Yes the SSTRAN is peaked for the antenna I use and does work as advertised.

Every 6888 transmitter on this page has a signal that can be heard clearly for one block using only an mp3 or CD player. http://www.tubbytwo.com/tx_index.html
tubbytwo

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2009-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by bill57 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:00 pm

Thanks everybody for a wealth of information. I'll be keeping my eye out for any one of these units suggested. If I can find something reasonable I'll give it a try.

....Bill

bill57

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by DA on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:57 pm

tubbytwo,

Checked out your transmitters. Explored the rest of the site and enjoyed the stories, especially Ensenada. We lived in Chula Vista in 1967. I was job shopping at Rohr and Ryan. We had a very tame trip to Ensenda one day. The wife and three small kids. A nice lunch and no barfing! I have a story of my own. The year before, we lived in Van Nuys for two months. We drove out from the east coast right after I got out of college. I couldn't find a job, and with a wife and three kids, things were getting tight. Even tried starting a dog walking business. Got one phone call from my ad in the paper. I had the woman convinced I knew something about all dog breeds. I had borrowed a book from the library about dogs and quickly flipped pages to read about her breed as we spoke on the phone. Nothing came of it. A day or two later, in a fit of frustration about not finding a job, I took a swing at the bathroom door and punched a hole in it. I felt really bad about it. The landlord was a great guy. I made a phone call to a local carpenter who told me to bring the door to his place and he would use it as a pattern to fit hinges to a replacement door. I waited until dark, unhinged the door,carried it under my arm to the car('62 Plymouth wagon) and drove to the carpenter's house. We struck up a converation while he was fitting out the new door. Turned out that he was from my hometown back east! I snuck the new door back into the apartment under the cover of darkness and painted it the next day. We came back east a couple of weeks later, worked for a year, and headed for Chula Vista. This time with a job waiting for me. We made the trip in four days. Lots of fun when you're young and willing to do just about anything that pops into your head.

DA

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by n0bst on Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:22 pm

I didn't think they were stereo. Someone had said, on another site that they have an AM stereo version. I thought that was odd.

Never heard of a stereo TH, but my friend Chris Cuff has had some AM stereo transmitters on ebay. Not sure if he'll be making more. The earlier versions didn't put out much power though I understand the later ones have been beefed up.

There's also the ASPiSYS ASMAX1 C-Quam Transmitter which is made in Greece. I think a Google search of ASPiSYS should get you there. They also make an AM stereo decoder which can be added to most radios which have stereo audio. Stateside, an acquaintance of mine, Jeff Deck, also makes a decoder. Do a Google search for Meduci and you'll run across his site.

Scott Todd

n0bst

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-01-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Naddy69 on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Yeah I see the AM stereo transmitters on eBay regularly. I swear I don't see the point, but whatever.

Listening to Jack Benny on my 1942 Zenith 6D-2615 from AM 1710 Antioch via a TH. Life is good.

Naddy69

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-02-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:51 pm

I've got two AMT-3000's. I love them. As for hum, I have a strange story to tell.

The first one I bought performed wonderfully for years, without even a hint of a flaw. I used it at home, I used it at radio meets to broadcast within the room, I even took it for a display in Crosley's mansion to play some OTR into a couple of Crosley radios.

Then one day I tried using it for a display outdoors. I had a portable AC power supply, and had an Atwater Kent 60 playing. Turned it on and got a blast of hum. Turned on a Zentih TO, on batteries, and it sounded fine. I figured maybe the problem might be with imperfect-wave AC going into a crude 1929 power supply, so I left the AK off and used the TO. But later, when I put the transmitter back in the house, connected exactly as before, I got the same hum. The AK was fine except when tuned to that station. Other radios in the house gave me hum as well, including some pocket transistor sets. The only radio that didn't hum was the TO. Sooo . . . I put the transmitter on the bench and tried it -- same hum. I disconnected the wall wart and connected a DC power supply into it -- hum was gone. Scratching my head even more now, as the wall wart outputs AC. But figuring it had to be something in the power supply, I replaced the filters, replaced the diodes, replaced the IC, and STILL no improvement! I then wrapped it up and sent it to Phil, asking to fix this one and also to buy a second one. Phil checked it out nine ways to Sunday and found no problem whatsoever!

I got it back, hums. I built the second one, hums. Obviously now I need to look at something in the house. I found nothing. I DID find that the hum varied, depending on where I connected the ground wire. I found a place that's "not too bad" and lived with it.

Then one day I rearranged the room. I bought a new desk, placed my AMT-3000 on this desk across the room from before, and everything works. No hum. No hum from the other one either. The hum has disappeared as fast as it came. The fact that it was tested, and the fact that two of them did it, proves that it's not the transmitter. But what was it? It started at an outdoor display in Venice, and continued in my shop where it had worked perfectly the day before -- and then everywhere I tried it I got the same thing. Once again I've taken (the other one) to displays elsewhere and it has worked flawlessly. Go figure. Gremlins I guess.

The one on my computer desk, connected to the computer, is set to 1470 AM. The other one, connected to Verizon Fios or taken to verious displays, is tuned to 1510 AM. We have local stations at 1450 and 1490. Above 1510, it might not be receivable on some pre-1940 radios.

What would I improve on with the AMT-3000? Two things; first I wish it would run on 12 volts; it would be nice to run it outdoors, powered from a car lighter. Second, I would like some kind of metering, possibly LED's. I'd like to know when I'm reaching 50% modulation, 80%, 90%, and 100%. Ideally a good signal with compressed audio should touch 80% frequently, 90% at peaks, and never touch 100%. If trying to recreate a vintage radio signal, it should touch 50% only on the strorngest peaks and have compression turned off. Modulation makes a difference, and my Atwater Kent 60 is a perfect example. These radios have a little distortion on modern broadcast signals but drop the modulation to 30-40% and they sound great.
Gary Tayman

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2