Unusual Meter

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Unusual Meter

Post by Ragwire on Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:08 pm

Well, this may be the only working survivor out there for all I know. Never could find any info on it. It needed some work, but it's all fixed and calibrated now. I like the portable case!

Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Unusual Meter

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Well, vtvm's aren't rare, but, this one I've never heard of... Do you have the test leads?? Looks like it's in nice shape....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:35 am

It looks mighty clean and straight. The hand applied serial is an interesting touch.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:29 am

Bill Cahill wrote:Well, vtvm's aren't rare, but, this one I've never heard of... Do you have the test leads?? Looks like it's in nice shape....
I have never heard of it either...or even talked to anyone who has.
The leads were missing and they  were like the pin type jacks--smaller than banana jacks. The leads in the picture are some I had and made fit by changing the meter jacks. I have no idea if it came with a straight wire AC/Ohms probe and a separate DC probe with an isolation resistor in the tip, or what. I know there was no way the + lead was shielded. I put on a BNC jack so I could use a regular VTVM probe with the sheilding and the switchable isolation resistor. For the Neg. side I put in a regular banana jack.

75X11 wrote:It looks mighty clean and straight.  The hand applied serial is an interesting touch.
And the serial is hand written inside the manual. It was in good shape except someone had burned out the R x 1 resistor--probably trying to test voltage with the meter set to ohms, R x 1.
I recapped it, but did not replace the two selenium rectifiers in it. One is for B+ and the other is for low voltage DC to power the resistance functions. There is no battery or battery holder in this meter. Also, the AC voltage measurement rectifier tube was bad.

This one uses the common 12AU7 for the meter drive, but a rather unusual (to me) 1X2A high voltage rectifier tube with the top cap connection for the AC voltage measurement rectifier. It is also a 9 pin miniature type. I found the calibration pots easily enough, but there is another pot by itself up top of the chassis board that seems to have no effect on anything, so I cleaned it up with the others and left it at its original setting position. Strange little critter, this V-500.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:31 am

Here is perhaps a better picture. This is from the person I bought it from:
Ragwire

Back to top Go down