"Vinyl"

Go down

"Vinyl" Empty "Vinyl"

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 pm

In my continuing attempts to "reform" the cell-phone generation, I have noticed that there is common reference to phonograph records. These items from our youth are referred to not as records, but as "vinyl". 'Scuse me, but I seem to remember that non-breakable, LP records were made of polystyrene or something like that, but not vinyl. Are not vinyl and polystyrene different materials? confused  

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

"Vinyl" Empty Re: "Vinyl"

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:09 am

I think LP's are vinyl.  45's are of another type of plastic, and 78's are shellac, and I've heard 78's refered to as vinyl. Try to explain how the sound is reproduced from the record is like science fiction to some of them!

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:49 pm

The kids know no better. They are parroting catchphrases and buzzwords. "vinyl" probably refers to flat groovy and black. Polystyrene was not well suited to the type of forming that records required. Vinyl plastic has a better ability to conform to a clam shell pressure molding than polystyrene, which was and is usually processed in injection molding. If you really want blank stares, explain wire recording and dictabelt recording to them.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:23 pm

IIRC, LP's aka 33's are made out of PVC. Which is always what they were made out of.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:09 pm

You notice that I qualified my guess by saying " or something like that." So the consensus is that records are not vinyl, then? I would sure hate to add to the confusion of the little buggers. Smile 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:11 am

I believe PVC is short for poly vinyl chloride, which comes in many different forms.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Well, if you can get the younger generation interested in "records", as many actually are, who cares what they call 'em?! Anything is a refreshing break from a cold, hazy Mp3 world....

Smile

Vinyl may not be technically correct, but its the cool slang Smile

Just don't say "spin the platter" or someone's Grandma's best China will be destroyed...
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:33 pm

It seems to me that if they are truly interested in messing with records, they would at least want to call them by their correct name. What's wrong with simply calling a record a record? I have been doing it for nearly 60 years, and it has worked just fine for me. Laughing 

All the new-fangled contraptions the younger generation fools with confuse the waddin' out of me. Why do they have to make something I know something about confusing to me by calling it something it ain't? Rolling Eyes 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:49 am

I agree. I hate dealers on ebay that call Edison cylinders "disks", 78's, "Albums", etc.... Some later fourty fives are vinyl, but, most are either plastic, or, styrene. Many older l's, and, yes, I mean thirty threes, are plastic, some are styrene. Styrene, by the way, was a cheap pressing, which tends to wear quickly. I don't like them...
I have seen some late seventy eights that were plastic....
The majority of seventy eights were shellac. Some, notably Columbia, were shellac coated cardboard. That started when they first started producing them about 1899, to the time they quit making them in the fifties.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:51 am

The kids are working it out for themselves. Some will eventually come into contact with a knowledgeble oracle and learn about the ways of audio recordings and their history and others will move on to the next thing that piques their interest.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:12 pm

Columbia records were horrible from the beginning of time to the very last one made. I don't know what Columbia did or did not do, but their records are noisy. From the first playing and they don't get any better. I have been putting records and tape on digital, and I can speak from experience. Their 78's are incredibly bad. My mom's Arthur Godfrey records and my dad's Carl Smith records are both on Columbia. Admittedly, they have been played a million times, but on a Newcomb TR-16A that dad bought in 1953, and uses a GE VR cartridge. They are almost white from wear. I had to use lots of electronic gadgets and a good computer program to make them sound like anything. Most of my grandma's Lawrence Welk records, on Decca, have been played as much, but are in far better condition. She played them on a Magnavox from the late 40's, but the tone arm on that thing must have weighed half as much as her Packard. Those Decca records still sound pretty good. MGM records can be fairly bad, as well. Decca, RCA, and Dot are usually the best. Columbia, Capitol, and MGM are generally the worst.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:03 pm

I have a couple of late red Columbia seventy eights that actually play great.. The problem always was that their main core always was cardboard. From day one.... By the way, if you want to trade, or, sell that Newcomb, I'd definitely be interested.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down