two new finds and a few questions

View previous topic View next topic Go down

two new finds and a few questions

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:10 am

I picked up a few items today. I picked up one of the 50s/early 60s made plastic radios. It kind of grew on me so to speak. The other item is a record player. The player was a sonora brand. I bought it for the cartridge pickup as it had one like the original one in my jukebox. When I got it home and looked at my jukebox it had the original one in it. Apparently I was able to get a original cartridge for it. At one time I had a different cartridge in the jukebox. Anyway now that I realize it has a cartridge I can now not use the record player for parts and maybe fix it. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't have much to it. I think it may only have one tube. I am wondering if anyone has seen one? I haven't done any looking into it or checking it out other than putting it in my shop. I am wondering if this is one of the record players that transmit to am radios. If you I might restore it and ad a jack to connect a tape player or something else. Don't worry I won't drill holes or wreck the case, I can run the cables under it. Here is a photo.

Here is the radio. I didn't have any good examples of this era Japanese radios and I wanted at least one. So now I have one.

Now on to my last question. The reason I found these is a lady with a consignment shop had called me about some radios. She had some radios that I passed on. One of the radios she called me about was a battery powered Philco number 34 like the one here.

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=6656

It was in fair shape not to bad. But it was a battery only at this point. I can make a power supply. The second radio I could not find a model number but it was similar in style to the 34. It was electric and the radio was taken out. It did have the radio as the lady had pulled it to refinish the cabinet. It had veneer and some pieces were missing but it could be fixed. Nether radios looked that bad. I passed on them for now as I am not interested in them for myself. She wanted 75 for both of them. They did have all the tubes and the AC one had a original philco tube like light bulb, and not the beer bottle shape. Would these be worth it or would I wind up getting more junk I can't get rid of?

I mainly wanted to make a connection so that she would let me know when she finds stuff. She also had a nice blond Admiral TV,Record,radio similar to the one Bill bought but she had painted it gloss black. It even had the Admiral tags still with it. She wanted 125. It would need a lot to refinish it but the TV and electronics looked good from what I saw.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: two new finds and a few questions

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:53 pm

willy3486 wrote:I picked up a few items today. I picked up one of the 50s/early 60s made plastic radios. It kind of grew on me so to speak. The other item is a record player. The player was a sonora brand. I bought it for the cartridge pickup as it had one like the original one in my jukebox. When I got it home and looked at my jukebox it had the original one in it. Apparently I was able to get a original cartridge for it. At one time I had a different cartridge in the jukebox. Anyway now that I realize it has a cartridge I can now not use the record player for parts and maybe fix it. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't have much to it. I think it may only have one tube. I am wondering if anyone has seen one? I haven't done any looking into it or checking it out other than putting it in my shop. I am wondering if this is one of the record players that transmit to am radios. If you I might restore it and ad a jack to connect a tape player or something else. Don't worry I won't drill holes or wreck the case, I can run the cables under it. Here is a photo.

Here is the radio. I didn't have any good examples of this era Japanese radios and I wanted at least one. So now I have one.

Now on to my last question. The reason I found these is a lady with a consignment shop had called me about some radios. She had some radios that I passed on. One of the radios she called me about was a battery powered Philco number 34 like the one here.

http://www.radioatticarchives.com/radio.htm?radio=6656

It was in fair shape not to bad. But it was a battery only at this point. I can make a power supply. The second radio I could not find a model number but it was similar in style to the 34. It was electric and the radio was taken out. It did have the radio as the lady had pulled it to refinish the cabinet. It had veneer and some pieces were missing but it could be fixed. Nether radios looked that bad. I passed on them for now as I am not interested in them for myself. She wanted 75 for both of them. They did have all the tubes and the AC one had a original philco tube like light bulb, and not the beer bottle shape. Would these be worth it or would I wind up getting more junk I can't get rid of?

I mainly wanted to make a connection so that she would let me know when she finds stuff. She also had a nice blond Admiral TV,Record,radio similar to the one Bill bought but she had painted it gloss black. It even had the Admiral tags still with it. She wanted 125. It would need a lot to refinish it but the TV and electronics looked good from what I saw.
Nice Finds Smile 

One tube phono oscillator? Perhaps, I doubt it only has one tube unless it uses a selenium rectifier OR something like a 117L7 tube that has everything packaged (diode section for power and oscillator), you'd need something for the power supply operation...I'm curious, post more when you get the time.

Nice plastic radio. That should clean up nicely, nice little AM and SW set for use or display, or both Very Happy 

I think $75 would be quite reasonable for the philcos. Is the mystery AC unit perhaps a Philco 45L???

The tv combo unit is too much $$ in my opinion. Those things can become real physical and financial boat anchors.

Just my thoughts.

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:44 pm

I took a quick look at the phono. It only has one tube so it probably is the 117L7 tube. It doesn't have a speaker either. It has a place for a plug to go into. So I am wondering if it is a wireless transmitter player with a input jack or if the plug needs a cable to plug into one of the old RCA jack on the backs of some radios. I think I will eventually get around to restoring it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:36 am

Let us see some pictures of it. Maybe I can help you... Please, also, find out the number of the tube.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4528
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top