Clutch head screwdrivers?

Go down

Clutch head screwdrivers? Empty Clutch head screwdrivers?

Post by Gary Tayman on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:26 pm

I wasn't sure whether to post this in the Clubhouse or Antique Radios section, so it's here.

Does anybody have a clue as to where I can find a clutch head screwdriver? I have a grand total of one; if anything happens to it I'm sunk. I'd like to have three or four at least.

A clutch head looks like an hourglass. I find them used extensively on Motorola car radios of the early 1960's. Yet it seems the screwdrivers for these are curiously gone from the shelves. I see screwdriver sets all the time; they have Phillips, cross-point, Allen, Torx, Security Torx, Bristol Spline, and a host of others, but never a clutch head. I've been to several tool outlets and electronics parts stores, and they all seem to give me that Radio Shack stare. Any suggestions?
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Clutch head screwdrivers? Empty Re: Clutch head screwdrivers?

Post by easyrider8 on Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:33 pm

The local Snap On dealer will have them, thats where I get mine

Dave
easyrider8
easyrider8

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2008-03-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:10 am

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/ScrDvrBG.html
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=BuyGuide/ScrDvrBG.html

After looking over this site, I went to Lowes -- and got that Radio Shack stare. Then one older fellow came over and swore they had it -- but looked and looked, and came up with nothing. The website shows the clutch head, but they don't have any screwdrivers to offer.

I know better than to even bother with Harbor Freight -- in fact I've already been there. I'll have to follow the next Snap-On truck I see.

Sheesh!
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:03 pm

If it's any help, Gary most electrical supply houses carry them. That's where I got mine. I know Cooper and a few others have them. If there's no electrical supply near you, you can order from Cooper on-line if you're not in a hurry.
Or here: http://shoptoolsshoptools.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=512&cat=Clutch+Head+Screwdrivers%0D%0A
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139

Back to top Go down

Post by mbird97x on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:35 pm

I have accumulated some various ones in the 1/4" hex bit styles. Don't overlook those bit assortments when looking.
mbird97x
mbird97x

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary Tayman on Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:51 pm

mbird97x wrote:I have accumulated some various ones in the 1/4" hex bit styles. Don't overlook those bit assortments when looking.

Actually I found a grand total of one of these, in a very large and expensive tool kit. I tried it on a screw that I had taken with me (so that when I get the Radio Shack stare, I can stare back) and it didn't fit all that well. So I passed.

I asked my mechanic when Snap-On stops by, he told me on Thursdays around midday. Yesterday I was far too busy to try. Maybe next week.
Gary Tayman
Gary Tayman

Back to top Go down

Post by terry h on Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:31 pm

Hi, For what it's worth, I bought a set of Proto back in 66. Seldom needed, but when you did, you really needed em. If you find some, keep it quiet. People like to borrow. Hide em. If they can be found, some schmuk will try to pry with em or use as a punch. Miracle, I still have mine. terry h

terry h

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by butch on Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:36 am

thy auto parts places here all have them and any of the other type in the hex dive bits.butch

butch

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2008-05-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down