Strangest Place To Find A Vintage Radio

Go down

Strangest Place To Find A Vintage Radio Empty Strangest Place To Find A Vintage Radio

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:37 pm

What was the strangest place to find or most inconvenient thing you had to do to rescue an old radio or TV or any vintage electronic gear? I got a call from a woman who was restoring a Queen Anne Victorian house. She said there was a radio-phono combination in the third floor attic and her sons would help me get it out. In fact it was the only thing in that attic. It turned out to be a late 1940's Stromberg-Carlson with the current FM band (88-108 MHz) Not the high end model 11 tube chassis I think, but not bad for something free. How that set got moved up that narrow steep stairway into that attic would have been quite a task it just fit through the stairway with a quarter inch to spare and even less through the doorway, and of course it was the hottest day of the year!

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Strangest Place To Find A Vintage Radio Empty Re: Strangest Place To Find A Vintage Radio

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:41 pm

A couple incidents come to mind.

Our godson bought an older home that had a detached garage. A car fire had occurred in the garage, and major damage was done to the garage. He asked me to help him tear down the remaining structure and to rebuild with a new structure. Under the roof that had caved in, protected by some metal shelving, was a 1965 Motorola SK-176AW console stereo. The debris that had fallen on it protected it from water from the fire department. The cabinet was unharmed, just dirty. I cleaned the cabinet, repaired the electronics and it turned out well.

Another occasion, a guy who worked for me had a neighbor that had an old shed that had fallen down, and wanted me to take my tractor and finish pulling it the rest of the way down and then burn it. Under this shed, was a Stromberg-Carlson 1121. It was in pretty sad shape, and termites had eaten most of the cabinet. I saved the chassis and speaker, and got them working. I burned the cabinet with the shed.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Strangest Place To Find A Vintage Radio Empty Re: Strangest Place To Find A Vintage Radio

Post by willy3486 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:01 pm

I took some trash off one day years ago. At that time they had long dumpsters that a big truck would latch on to and pull up on its bed. They made these platforms the length of the dumpster and steps up to the platform. For whatever reason someone had taken their trash off and left a old 50s admiral on the steps. I tossed my garbage and brought the radio with me. I have torn down about 5 old buildings and surprisingly I never found a radio in any of them.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:42 pm

In May of 1976. My company was preparing to rotate to Germany on a 6 month temporary duty assignment. We were to be issued the AN-GRC/106 radioteletype system when we arrived. Out of everything we had readied for transport there was one pair of radios that we had kept in the shop until the last. My commel officer told me "they're not on the books, you can have them if you want them, just figure out a way to get them to somebody who can send them home for you." I had no way to do it, so I got on the bus to Wichita, leaving a T-195 transmitter and an R-392 receiver sitting on the loading dock at my communications shop in the motor pool. Didn't get to rescue them, and will probably never get to own a set of them, though I did for a few hours.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:37 pm

At an auto parts swap meet, I found a GE Musiphonic clock radio (light blue) and a Halicrafters 38s for $5 each. Both worked quite well but needed some cosmetic work.

The best deals on radios is where you least expect to find any.

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:31 pm

MEZLAW wrote:At an auto parts swap meet, I found a GE Musiphonic clock radio (light blue) and a Halicrafters 38s for $5 each.  Both worked quite well but needed some cosmetic work.  

The best deals on radios is where you least expect to find any.
That auto parts meet reminded me of my RCA shop sign. The one I restored was bought in Worchester MA by a picker. It made its way to a auto parts meet in the smokies here in TN. The guy I got it from was there with his auto parts and traded a auto sign for it. He contacted me and I bought it. I may have to give up yard sales and go to auto swap meets.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down