Philco 46-1226 Resto?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Philco 46-1226 Resto?

Post by Texas Raider on Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Hi, I'm a new guy here, and just as new to restoring old floor tube radios.
I have an opportunity to purchase a Philco 46-1226 floor radio, one I've wanted for several years. The particular one for sale seems to be in great shape, the cabinet and display look to have been kept indoors and never garaged stored. The only thing is that the owner says it has no tubes and he has no idea if it works.
My question is, if the main components are shot, how expensive or difficult is it to replace/restore these components back to working status?

Texas Raider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-11-04

Back to top Go down

Re: Philco 46-1226 Resto?

Post by 75X11 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 pm

If you have not done any restorations before, that model would be a difficult start. One thing you might do if you feel that unit is too good to pass up, would be to get and keep it for a while as a display and do a few more simple units to get some experience in working with old radios. There are folks here that would be glad to help as you go along. Welcome to the site.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Welcome to TRF. I echoe the feelings that you need more expereience, first. This is a difficult set to start out with. I would also reccommend you not pay too much for this set with no tubes, and, no guarantees there aren't any major problems. One problem these Philcos had is when a short occurred, the power transformer tended to litterally go up in smoke. Now, that would be expensive to take care of....
We are most willing to help here.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Welcome to TRF. If it has no tubes, it would be a fairly good bet that it does not work. And buying all the tubes might set you back a farthing or two. Perhaps more than you would want to spend. One has to wonder why, if this radio is in otherwise good condition, someone robbed all the tubes. What Bill said makes good sense. I sure would not recommend paying much for such a set, certainly under $20. It is basically a parts set like it is. On the other hand, sets like this are fun to get going again. We will certainly be glad to help anyway we can to get it working. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top