Sony DigiMatic - Will Not Turn Off

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sony DigiMatic - Will Not Turn Off

Post by LaneFowler on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:03 pm

I have a Sony DigiMatic (Model ICF-C820W) from the 1970's. It is a Clock Radio with an ability to set a different alarm time for every day of the week.

Problem: The Radio will NOT Turn Off.See attached Photos. There are 3 buttons across the top: Auto, Manual, and Sleep.

It is the "Manual" button that turns the unit On or Off.

The "Manual" Button seems to work properly in that it pops up and down and stays in the desired position when pushed. However, the radio Signal (Music) will never turn off. You have to turn the volume all the way down in order to have silence. When the Manual button is released to turn the radio off, the volume is less than when pushed down in the On position, but the music is still there.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to how to fix? Is there a manula anywhere?

Sorry of this radio is not as old as some... However, I like it and want to make it work.

Thanks in advance for help

LaneFowler

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2013-11-03

Back to top Go down

Re: Sony DigiMatic - Will Not Turn Off

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Welcome to TRF.
If the radio clock is set to an auto time, and, the hands are set near that time, it will not shut off. Also, some of the clocks had a timer knob on it that you twist. If that timer is set to anything other than 0 the radio will not shut off.
Hope this helps.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by LaneFowler on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Thanks Bill...  However, the Clock radio is actually digital... circa 1978.

I have photos I can post. but I can't seem to be able to upload.

Does this site allow uploading images vs "Hosting an image"?

LaneFowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:34 pm

Welcome to TRF, Lane!  Sorry, but I do not see a link to attached photos.  You cannot attach pictures directly.  You have to use Photobucket or similar to post photos.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:20 pm

Honestly, while it could be an electrolytic gone south in that type of clock, it's, just as likely that one of the timer IC chips has gone south. Sadly, I don't think it is repariable.
Sorry for the bad news.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:55 pm

If that clock radio is from 1978, maybe it will still have a mechanical power switch.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:26 am

If it is a LED display clock, the switches may be the only components that it might be possible to troubleshoot and/or fix. If the clock is of limited value to you not functioning correctly, You might open the unit and see if there is anything you can do with them. You would not be risking a otherwise good clock. The affected switch may not be making proper contact which can happen over time. Welcome to the forum.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:28 am

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_dream_machine_icf_c820w.html

At least some pics, no schematic. I see it is a LED electronic device.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by LaneFowler on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

75X11 has a correct link to a photo:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_dream_machine_icf_c820w.html

The On/Off Button is a Push Button on the top.  Push down to turn on... Push again releasing button to the Up position that should turn the unit off.

Problem is that the unit does not turn off... Music is less, but not all the way off.

I bought some Deoxit and will try to clean the switch...  Good idea??

Thanks for help!!  You guys are awesome!!

bett to have an OLD Working Unit than waking up with a Cell Phone any day of the week!!!

LaneFowler

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:52 pm

If you haven't yet, open the unit up carefully after unplugging to see what the switch looks like. It may have it's innards exposed so you can see them. Deoxit is good stuff, but I usually use it after cleaning the switch or contacts with contact cleaner. The Deoxit then keeps tarnish and other oxidization from forming. If your switch has silver plated contacts that are exposed, contact cleaner or 91% isopropyl alcohol cleans them up pretty well. If you can get a pic or two up that will help us help too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by LaneFowler on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:36 pm

I used deoxit on the Switch, Volume POTS and the Tone POTS... The Problem still exists.

The switch is hard to get at to replace, but seems to be physically fine... It Pops Up and down, as it is supposed to do.

The POTS are hard to get spray into.

I found another identical model on e-bay that is not is nearly as good condiition as my radio. The 1st picture of the resistors at the main power cord is from the e-bay radio & shows 2 resistors. Is it possible that the resistors are bad on my unit (allowing power to bleed through???)

There has to be a simple solution????  Can somebody look at pictures I posted of insider here and opine?  Photos of inside are at very bottom of my last post.  Sorry to upload elsewhere.  I cannot seem to do here Embarassed 

Thanks.

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235431

LaneFowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:08 am

No, that's not your problem.... Does the ebay radio work? If so, maybe you could switch cases??
Controls won't cause radio not to shut off..
It's either the switch still isn't working right, or, something is electronically wrong with the clock.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LaneFowler on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:43 am

Thanks Bill...  I wish it was as simple as just changing the case, but the parts radio has other problems.  I bought with intent of changing out the switch.  However, once inside, the layout shows that access to the switch is not an easy task with multiple circuit boards stacked and positioned in a manner that one could easily break something else while trying to "fix" another.

As I operate the switch, it just seems to be doing what it is supposed to do.  However, I cannot see what it connects when I push the plunger (In my mind, it would physically connect a circuit, but it is impossible to see).  It goes down and comes back up with the spring action with no issue, and I and sprayed deoxit anywhere on the switch that I could see.  If the switch was bad, one would think it would be stuck????

There are multiple ways this radio can turn on:

* The On/off Switch
* The 7 different alarm settings for each day of the week
* The Sleep Timer
* The "Dream Bar" at the top where one can pause the alarm for a specified period

So I am thinking that if the switch operates in a fashion that appears to be "normal", maybe one of the means in which the unit turns on On/Off may have an electronic malfunction somewhere???

Another fella suggested a bad "transistor"  (A Rsistor with with variable resisitance).  However, knowing which trnasistor and where to get another????

It makes sense to replace the switch to rule out as a cause; however, I am thinking I may do my harm than good.  At the same time, there has to be a very simple answer.  The unit has not been abused.  It belonged to my wife as a child.

Thoughts on the "transistor"???

LaneFowler

Back to top Go down

Post by LaneFowler on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:49 pm

Hi again... After a day of fiddling and spraying DeOxit, I let the radio sit overnight before reassembling. I thought I had a Christmas Miracle this morning, as after sitting overnight, all worked. The radio turned off when the power button was released to the off position. However, after re-assembling, I have the same issue, albeit the problem is now sporadic and not constant. The radio signal will stay on at a lesser volume with the power button in the Off Position.  The power light and and all else go off, but the radio signal continues.

The volume POTS can be all or nothing, i.e, you sometimes have no volume vs a wiggle of the switch to obtain the volume consisitent with the setting. I thought DeOxit would take care of this issue, but I think there is too much play in the actual shaft of the POTS and/or where the inner wiper of the POTS contacts the resistance material. If you push the POTS slightly against the board it works better versus having no pressure against the POTS. The problem is more pronounced withthe POTS turned toward Volume High (Less Resistance??).

Again, I tried cleaning the POTS, but there is not a real good avenue to get the deoxit in the POTS. After I thought I had it working, I then used Deoxit conditioner in the POTS, and tested. All seemed to work, but shortly after reassembly, the problem returned (Problem is now sporadic)

COULD a Volume Pots with Play in the wiper contact be the source of the problem? If so, this is an easy fix for most with a solder iron???Question

LaneFowler

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:07 pm

Neh.. Spimds like switch is thje issue. Tried buying good contact cleanner instead. Please. Norhing that claims it will remove carbon.But, my guess is a good contact cleanner will do better.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:18 pm

I second the contact cleaner.  Set the clock radio on its side and spray it into the housing of the switch.  Hold a paper towel around it to catch the excess.  Operate the button about 20-25 times while it is still wet with cleaner.  let dry thoroughly.  operate the switch a few more times and use deoxit sparingly ONLY after you have tested the switch and know it functions. Repeat the contact cleaner routine once if it doesn't work.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top