Do any of you guys make CD's?

Go down

Do any of you guys make CD's? Empty Do any of you guys make CD's?

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:03 am

I have been processing my old records and tapes to digital and putting them on CD. Yeah, I know. CD's are old technology and I should be putting them on an I-something. Well, I don't have an I-something, and could not run it if I had it. So I am doing CD's. I have 16,676 songs on a 1-terabyte external hard drive in MP3 format. 42.4 Gigabytes of information. I have LP's, 45's, 78's, cassette tapes, reel-to-reel tapes, ripped CD's, and even a few cylinder records that a friend of mine wanted put on CD. Uncle Josh stuff and old material like that. Two eight tracks. I dislike working with 8 tracks, so it has to be special material, unobtanium on any other media, before I mess with an 8 track. I had to rig up a couple mics to work in the big horn on the cylinder player, then do my magic to take the "in a drum" sound out of the music. I added a little top end and a little bottom end to make the music sound fuller and not so tinny. I have a 600 disc and a 300 disc CD "jukebox" player in MO and a 300 here. They discontinued the 600 disc model, but there is a 400 still available. I can now listen to music 12 hours a day for a year and not hear the same song twice, between the material I have bought and what I have made from analog media.

The secret to successfully transferring analog media to digital is simple. Remember the garbage in, garbage out rule. Most people try to do it with an expensive computer program that is too complicated to work. And those silly USB turntables. They simply will not work, because they do not have enough amplification. They also try to use a laptop computer or some Pad thingy. More trying to put lipstick on a pig. You need good equipment to do the job right.

I go a tad overboard, and I will admit that from jump street. I use six turntables, depending on what type of record I am playing. All have magnetic cartridges, since that is all that will work with my receiver. I use a Pioneer SX-1050 receiver, a Pioneer graphic equalizer, a AMI expander/compressor. I have a Sony dual cassette deck and an old Dual single cassette deck that I use, along with a Pioneer 8 track record/playback deck, a Pioneer reel-to-reel tape deck and an old Akai M-9 that I really like better, but it is notoriously unreliable, so I work on it more than I work with it. I have a GE turntable that I kiped out of an old console stereo that I use to play 78's on. It has a Shure cartridge that a buddy gave me. I have an Accurian DJ turntable with a Stanton 500 series cartridge that I use to play LP's that are not in the best of condition, because the cartridge is tough and the stylus is cheap. I use a Technics table with a M93 series Shure cartridge with good stereo LP's because the stylus is pricy. I have an old Technics that I play 45's on. It has a Shure P-mount cartridge, but the needle is fairly cheap and it makes 45's sound particularly good. I have another Technics, and a Pioneer turntable that I use for backup and various other specific purposes. The Accurian is direct drive, the GE rim drive, and the rest are belt drive. I really have no particular preference, they all work well if they are kept in good condition. The GE is an automatic turntable, and, occasionally, I like to have it cycle and get that nice click when the turntable cycles. It really sounds neat on the lead in of a CD, as most people do not expect to hear that. Of all the equipment I have, getting a good job transferring analog records to digital depends most on one, and only one item. The cartridge. There simply is no substitute for a good, magnetic cartridge. Having a cheap cartridge (and insufficient amplification) is the biggest reason the USB turntables won't work well.

I use a $35 computer program. I has all the features I need and all that I can operate, given my limited computer skills. My computer runs Windows 7, 64 bit, with a 1-terabyte hard drive and 12 gigs of memory. You can't have too much memory when you mess with music. It is a desktop computer, which, IMHO, is all that can do this job successfully. Laptops, and pad-thingys just do not have the capacity and flexibility to get the job done. I have all the amplification that I need to get a good, clean, strong input to the computer. I can monitor what the computer "hears" and also what the computer has processed. I can eliminate 95% of the scratch and noise without killing the music. I can repair boo-boos, like skips and repeats. I can play a 78 at 45 rpm or even 33 rpm, and the computer program will process it to the correct speed. This works well with 78's and 45's that are badly warped and produce lots of wow. I can play 45's at 78 rpm and it will fix that, although I don't know what practical use this has. I guess that feature would be handy if the turntable was not rotating at the correct speed. Obviously, making sure that turntable speed is correct is one thing that needs to be checked on a regular basis. The sound card on my computer has RCA jacks so that I don't have to fool with those little plugs that I detest so much. I have real RCA jacks that use real patch cords, just like on a real stereo. Works like a champ. The absolutely only downside to this operation is that it is done in real time. It takes as long to process a recording as it does to listen to it. There is really no way to shortcut the process as far as time goes. I manage the music files in Windows Media Player. Audiophools, and computer geeks poo-poo Media Player as old-fashioned and non-responsive, but I have found it competent and easy to use. Maybe a tad slow at ripping CD's, but a couple extra seconds is of no consequence to me. Lots of my old records I have not heard for many years. Others that I have bought more recently, I may have never heard. So listening to the music is part of the adventure. I have been having a ball. I don't listen to music on the radio, since most of it is disgusting. There is not a note that I have processed that I do not like. Life is too short to listen to horrible music like the crap they play on radio nowdays. I have nary a note of Justin Bieber or "country rap" and will not. But I can listen to Connie Francis and Bobby Vinton 'till my heart's content. It doesn't get any better than that, as far as I'm concerned. Running music thru my SSTrans to my old radios elicits positive comments even from people who like neither my old radios or my old music.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Do any of you guys make CD's? Empty Re: Do any of you guys make CD's?

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:06 am

Keep in mind the life of a CD is a lot shorter than a record.
N7ZAL
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 493
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:19 am

I have a old Dell with XP on it. I just run the output of my stereo into the input of the computer. I transfer all my music to mp3 and save it to its drive. I then backup at times to a couple of backup drives. I got into using mp3s back when my daily drive round trip commute was over 3 hours. I still use it with a daily commute of 2 hours. Nothing but the political/country stuff in my area and I detest both. So its a lot nicer to burn a new CD to use for a few weeks and have about 5 to 6 hours of music.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:32 pm

I make a lot of CD's, especially for a friend who does claymation films with kids. I also have an inexpensive program called Magix Cleaner. It does wonders in cleaning up hiss and clicks and it also as a limiter/compressor.
Watch out for distortion.  Analogue has a lot of headroom but digital- none.
Also, not to disagree, okay, to disagree, I have put several records on one CD.  A CD has 80 minutes while a normal record has approximately 20.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:42 pm

terrydec wrote:I make a lot of CD's, especially for a friend who does claymation films with kids. I also have an inexpensive program called Magix Cleaner. It does wonders in cleaning up hiss and clicks and it also as a limiter/compressor.
Watch out for distortion.  Analogue has a lot of headroom but digital- none.
Also, not to disagree, okay, to disagree, I have put several records on one CD.  A CD has 80 minutes while a normal record has approximately 20.
IF you want more than 80 minutes look into MP3s. A regular MP3 I estimate at roughly one minute a meg when I record.  So I would wind up with roughly 10 hours of music on one CD. I can put a lot of radio shows on one cd. The last CD I made was of swing music I am listening to now and it has around 150 or more songs. As far as sound quality its not to bad. May not be audiophile quality but drivingnoises and old recordings make for not the best in audiophile listening.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:57 pm

N7ZAL wrote:Keep in mind the life of a CD is a lot shorter than a record.
And don't forget that the MP3 format sounds like crap.
P.S-the life of a record vs CD is all in how it is protected.  Mistreat either one, Like leaving one on the dashbord, and they are about the same.Wink
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't do much recording on CD's these days. I have a decent cd collection and I have transferred much of it to 16Gb usb drives that I use in the home stereo, My car stereos and my modulator for my shop vehicle. Just as soon as I was able to cease the use of CD's and having to take care of them in a hostile environment and try to play them in cold weather, they stay in storage. In my car, if someone broke in to get at my system, I would be out $150 for the stereo and $11 for all the music, the equivalent of 300 CD's in my current setup.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:36 pm

I guess it all depends on what you want. I am quite happy with MP3s. As far as the sound, I am happy with mp3. I don't think it is crappy to me. I have used it for years and found it is a good way to listen to music. When I have restored amps I have run both store bought CDs and MP3s and find the quality similar. When I get a new CD I convert it over to mp3 then put up the original CD. I guess its like some people say you need all kinds of wire,low oxygen,etc. To me if it plays, its clear and I understand it , I am happy.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:51 pm

I've bought prerecorded mp3 discs that have sounded horrible. I have no idea how they managed to put such distortion onto a recording. The mp3's made from my own sources are nearly indistinguishable from the original. I guess they can be done badly but I can't manage to do it. As an aside, I have found decent quality Fuji and Philips branded CD-R's at Big Lots at a reasonable price, as well as usb flash drives.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:08 pm

willy3486 wrote:I guess it all depends on what you want. I am quite happy with MP3s. As far as the sound, I am happy with mp3. I don't think it is crappy to me. I have used it for years and found it is a good way to listen to music. When I have restored amps I have run both store bought CDs and MP3s and find the quality similar.  When I get a new CD I convert it over to mp3 then put up the original CD. I guess its like some people say you need all kinds of wire,low oxygen,etc. To me if it plays, its clear and I understand it , I am happy.
Having been a live sound mixer, motion picture sound man, (N.A.B.E.T.) once on a movie with Terrance Malik and Harry Dean Stanton, studio recording engineer, etc. I guess I'm spoiled.
Quick story- I was sitting in the sound booth during a Yes concert.  The sound and lights were by Claire Brothers.  This was outside and there were speakers everywhere.  I suddenly said, "I hear some distortion in that array". which included 14 speakers.  A few minutes later someone dropped a blown high frequency diaphragm from that array on the table. Good ears.  So yeah, even though I use MP3 files myself, they still sound too brilliant, crispy and chopped off.       

Enough bragging.  My favorite system of all time was an AR turntable, a tube preamp and a 25 Watt tube amp feeding 2 three way Electrovoice speaker systems hung from the ceiling.  That 25 Watts was louder than my current 100 watt per channel surround sound amp.  I miss that set, but at least I have a good turntable and a Shure M44 cartridge.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:47 pm

I have known a number of professional sound people, and will readily defer to them on any critical assessment of of audio quality. There are also those who believe that the road to superior audio quality is paved with money. A number of them wouldn't be able to gauge the reason for the expenditure by listening to their system in comparison to a lesser system sight unseen. I'm not ashamed to admit that my tastes are more subjective than critical. Terry, if your methods deliver what you want in quality of audio, you are doing the right thing and your sharing them is going to help others.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:57 pm

terrydec wrote:............
Quick story- I was sitting in the sound booth during a Yes concert.  The sound and lights were by Claire Brothers.  This was outside and there were speakers everywhere.  I suddenly said, "I hear some distortion in that array". which included 14 speakers.  A few minutes later someone dropped a blown high frequency diaphragm from that array on the table. Good ears. ......
I could do the same thing with movie theatre equalization. they had some fancy equipment where you would "tune" the equalization until it matched the "chart" on the scope. I could stand in the sweet spot of the auditorium and they would be running the pink noise gen and i could tell them "STOP" when it hit correctly. The audio guys were amazed that I could equalize by ear.

I was checking on sound in auditoriums during movies once and said ' Not enough sub woofer."
some one had stolen half of the subwoofer drivers out from behind the screens.

simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:44 pm

I appreciate the input of everyone on this topic. Like usual, I am years behind everyone else. I must be easily amused, because I am having a ball with my old technology. Nobody I know uses MP3's or that stuff. I guess the whole clan must be behind the times. As long as we each enjoy our music, that's really all that matters.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Yup, it's all about enjoyment and preservation. Always focus some energy into long term storage of original devices.

As someone caught between old and new technology I've seen plenty of ideas come and go. Remember the latest and greatest? Laserdiscs, digital audio cassettes....

The irony is, either thru planned obsolescence or failure of the new storage device medium, we'll have to revert back to the original medium. In other words, if the world is still around in 2040, spinning a vinyl record may be the only way to hear that original pressing....
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:02 pm

I still have my records and tapes, and will until my final breath. The thing that got me started putting records on CD is my wife. She thinks my stereo is too complicated for her to run. CD's work better in the car and stuff as well. My cars are old enough that they will not accommodate MP3's and modern stuff like that. I still play records and tapes, but the wife appreciates the CD's.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum