GE Model 212

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GE Model 212

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:14 pm

With the discussion of service literature as a spur, I decided to run off the sheets for my model 212 and make a start on it, taking a break from the Philco 42-355. The unit was quite clean inside, just some house dust and the cadmium making a yellow cast on some parts. the plastic escutcheon on the case looked a little brown, so I dampened a paper towel in ammonia and wiped it off. the towel came off looking like it had very dark walnut stain on it. I have washed well used ashtrays that had less filth stuck to it. I gave the finished wood surfaces a quick wipe off and the towel came off nearly black through two passes. I can see the woodgrain beneath the finish now, as well as the logo decal on the top front of the housing. It is almost a novelty seeing fabric covered wire and paper capacitors that I can touch with my fingers. It looks like the filter capacitor replacements will be the only components I will have to purchase to get things started.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: GE Model 212

Post by 75X11 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:30 pm

Well, I've replaced 5 paper capacitors and have found R29 well burnt. So, along with the replacement electrolytics I have ordered a assortment of primarily 1/2 watt resistors with a few values of 1 watt included. I believe I will secure the fluorescent orange dial cursor in it's hub with clear RTV to allow good light transmission from the hub to the cursor. This radio has an AM antenna that is an integral part of the rear cover that is unlike anything I have seen prior to hybrid ceramic etched circuits.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Good luck on radio.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:39 am

Here are some pics of the antenna array.  It appears to be inset into the masonite and doesn't appear to be wire.

75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:50 am

It's not wire. It's some type of foil. Be very careful with it. They are extremely delicate.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:26 am

Its solid wire, but if it starts to come unglued, then you will have a mess to repair.
If I remember from past experience its wire is shaped like a pyramid. I think that was done for the assembling by using a form that wire laid in and was routed to make the glue stick to the flat bottom side and then the board was fitted down on top of the wires bottom.

I guess it avoided having to use cotton covered wire, price wise. Just a guess.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 976

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:12 am

I must admit it has a better look than the basket weave inserts that many period radios used.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:21 am

Sorry, but, I had one fall apart. It's not solid wire. It's heavy foil. And, the sharp corners easily break. Please take care...

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 am

No problem, I will. The only attention I hope to give the back cover should be to replace the cord in the interlock plug and tweak the alignment capacitor.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:42 pm

Well, I have replaced all of the Paper caps, and now it is time to replace the filter capacitor. the nearest values are 3x80uF and a 30uf. I have the correct nearest values at home in the event there is an error in this post. The replacement caps are far too large to either stuff the orignal 1 1/2 inch can and the caps are large for the space underchassis near to the cap terminals. I don't want to put them under the chassis as I don't want to take a chance on RFI. I was thinking of drilling a small hole in the center of the phenolic base of the old can, which I have removed the electrolytic container and material and making a small mast that I could position the new caps around and drill some small pass through holes parallel to the original cap's solder tabs, and soldering the new cap's leads to the tabs without disturbing the original wiring. It won't look that great, but it would be mechanically stable and electrically correct. Any thoughts?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:26 am

You won't pick up any RFI if you put the new caps under the chassis.

This is standard practice when you can't re stuff the old caps.

Ron.
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top