My new tv's

Go down

My new tv's

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:56 pm

I volunteer at a thrift store that benefits our local domestic violence shelter. My job is to junk, sell or otherwise get rid of the truckloads of CRT tv sets that get dumped off there. We have been having fairly good results selling them for just a donation. Cheapskates give a buck, real people give usually from $10 to $20, realizing they are helping a good cause. But I manage to move several sets, mostly 19" and above. The gamers around here prefer CRT sets to flat panel for whatever reason. They get all the 27" and larger than I get in.

This week, there were 8 tv sets there waiting on me. Four of them looked really "old" for some reason. As I looked closer, I found FOUR that were actually not only CRT sets, but had tube chassis! There is little 10" Admiral model (I think) P1110. It is VHF only, loaded with Compactrons. I counted 14 tubes. It is so ugly it is cute. There is a 10" Zenith with a missing model number. The plastic cabinet is orange and white, it has a hybrid chassis with only four tubes, 38HE7, 6LN8, 60FX5, and a 10JT8(?), and is "instant on". The tube filaments are lit whenever the set is plugged in, whether on or not. Both UHF and VHF tuners. The third was an as-yet unidentified Philco, about a 19" with both VHF and UHF tuners. And, finally, a mid-1950's RCA, about a 12" or so, with a vertical chassis that has the neck of the picture tube thru it. Looks like a nightmare to work on. All of these sets are in okay condition, but extremely filthy. What I have seen of the chassis look good. The Admiral works, has sound and raster. Ditto the Zenith, including a huge buzz from likely bad filter caps. The Philco is dead as a doornail, no filaments, nothing. The CRT tests good. The RCA kinda works, has sound, scratchy volume control, massively dirty tuner, has raster but the screen has two big black lines at the top and bottom. I know, I know. Don't plug them in until you replace caps and such. This case was different. I did not care whether they fried or not. I was looking for a reason to send them to the great recycler in the sky. Instead, they are now on the bench in my garage. I have been wanting to get into tv repair, and these neglected dogs just may be the victims that I can practice on. They have zero collectibility, the purists will turn their noses up at them. I can make my mistakes on sets that mean little, and then will be more able to repair a "good" set properly and with confidence. These sets are all black and white, of course. I wouldn't be ashamed to have any of them in my new tv "collection", but, then again, my standards are somewhat low. I have always been able to amuse myself with what others consider junk.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5164
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: My new tv's

Post by b_body_bill on Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:44 am

WC
Most of my radios nobody but me would have carried them home except maybe on a 2 dollar bet.  I remember repairing tube TVs when they weren't that old and I  have a lot of respect for anybody who tackles them now. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bill
b_body_bill

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-02-12

Back to top Go down

Re: My new tv's

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:04 pm

CRT TV = Electrostatic Precipitator.
75X11

Number of posts : 4894
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down