Insanity has begun again...........

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Insanity has begun again...........

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:16 am

Well, after several weeks of waiting for my Philco 46-1201 to come from Largo Florida, that I won at the beginnig of the month, I bit the bullet, and paid someone I know to go pick it up. I had paid 13.00 approx. on ebay for it.
It was a nightmare finding the street , and, house for it. We finally got there, and, next thing I knew, he threw in four more items. One busted beyond repair Blonder Tongure UHF converter, and, three other radios. Mostly junk, but, made the trip worth it to go.. One is a set I'd like to restore. A silvertone portable am-sw batery tube, ac radio. It's a mess, but, may be worth fixing.
Another interesting one is an Emerson battery a c radio. Am only, with cheap brown speaker grills, and, plastic dial surround. Dial surround is slightly warped, but, others look fine. That one might be worth fixing.

The philco radio-phono has been messed up with. Someone had obviously worked on it. It has a modern black power cord, wires going to motor, and, rocker switch in phono have been cut.
They lost some screws, and, put a couple of modern allen head screws in it. They gotta go. The original painted grain on door is repairable, in ther places, shot. The black paint is mostly gone, but, some of the black paint is also gone. The dial glass is broken beyond repair, but, I think I have that.
Well, you gets what you pays for. It will be kind of rough, but, I think I can save that one...
Just got them today, and, have had no time for photos. But, here we go again! The insanity has re started...
I think this will be a fun project...
In fact, this is the best physically I've felt before I ended up in the hospital with eclulitits... I'm starting to feel like my old stuff again, and, see alot of fun ahead of me....
Just wish these sets hadn't been played with....
I'm glad I'm back in the restoration business.... Very Happy 
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4616
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Insanity has begun again...........

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:05 pm

It's good you are feeling better. Good score.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:21 pm

good for you bill I too have been looking and bidding on them also was going to bid on that but was bad shape as I do have one which bottom chassis is rusty speaker is shot thought would be good for parts recapped didn`t work put aside for now but so I have parts if needed
sam
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:15 am

Well, I got most of the Philco apart. It isn't a 46-1201. It's a 48-1201.
It has large I F transformers, and, a round pm speaker.
Grill cloth is toast. Whole unit is very filthy.... It's got paint spatterson outside, and, a very broken dial glass. They had lost screws, and, put in modern pan head screws. They gotta go..
I thought power wires to phono motor had been cut. I was wrong. But, sadly, it had had an electrical disastor. There is a capacitor block accross black, and, white line wires going to motor switch.
Somehow, perhaps by a short, it caused the mercury switch to short, and, explode. One pin blew completely off, and, is charred. The mercury ball is gone.This really suffered some sort of disastor. That's for sure. It's all original, and, rubber power cord is slowly headed on it's way out.
I have another case missing parts, with some loose veneer on one side, but, finnish, while not mint, is in better shape. It's also an earlier machine. I may either use that one, or, at least use parts from it, including non broken dial glass, and, better condition speaker grill cloth....
One way, or, another, I can come up with albeit not a mint case, certainly a better one....
Still have to take radio, and, speaker out to examine them....
Well, guys, it's official. I'm backl in the repair business... Anyone interested in my continuing this thread???

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:41 am

Everyone is interested in your continuing the thread! Very Happy 
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:54 am

Thanks. Will be doing more this week. Just give me time. Just getting back on my feet.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:37 pm

Well, was just looking in garage, and, found other two playing decks from junked machines. Appears original switches may be good. I'll check into that. One has nearly mint brown paint on base. I'll use that base. Paint on one on bench is badly scratched.
Wish one of the cartridges was good...........
More when I know more...............

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

hi guy`s
bill keep them coming would love to see pic`s too
sam
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:27 pm

Still a little weak yet for pics., but, will as soon as I can. I'm just glad to be starting re building again.. I prommisse I will as soon as possible.
But, let me give a progress report...........
Looked at my other two decks, and, have enough parts to repair one. Got speaker, board, and, chassis out. Filthy, filthy, filthy!!
I must have pulled three pounds of dirt out of spkr. alone..
I haven't decided what to do on cabinet, yet, but, glad I didn't plug it in. Both power cord wires were bare where it went into chassis. I cut that off. I looked up schematic. Not exact, but, very similar. By the way, I was wrong. It is a 46-1201, according to the chassis. But, apparently a later version. It has a round pm spkr.
One paper cap was getting ready to blow....
I marked all wires, and, moved spkr. out of harm's way. Cone is a little warped, and, it rubs some. It may not sound too goood....
Other than that, it looks very restorable....
I'm getting ready to pull new parts for it from parts bin...
This is the most excited I've felt to work on my stuff in almost a year.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:10 am

Project on temporary hold while I regroup, and, pick up some two hundred volt electrolytics. There is only one schematic on this beasty, and, it is nothing like this one.....  This radio is as weird as they come.
I'll get it playing again, but, I have to trace the wiring to figure out what they did. Looks like, and, I'm probably wrong, they have the filament supply on part of the bias.
I know that the schematic  shows 150 volt electrolytics, but, in this set, they are all 200 volt, and, values are reversed...  The double filter, according to the schematic is two sections of 15 mf, 150 volts.
In this one, one section is 40 mf, 200 v., and, other was 10 mf 200 volt.
Third loose one is 10mf, 200 volt.
They don't come any stranger. No speaker field, but, the double filter is accross a resistor, and, another 1 watt resistor is accross that.
Strange radio for sure....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:10 pm

O.K. I have made an executive decision.. I hate doing this, but, I'm going to use 450 volt filters to get back on track. I don''t want to, but, money is tight right now. So, I will be using the higher voltage filters. Oh, well. Might be working on it again tonight.
Still want to take some pics.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:59 pm

75X11 wrote:Everyone is interested in your continuing the thread!  Very Happy 
Heck yeah! Very Happy 
Ragwire

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:58 am

Too tired to do much, but, got some electrolytics, and, a terminal strip out so I may continue it again....
I hope to take some chassis pictures soon. Perhaps Friday....
I want to have enough going along to be able to show some rebuilding progress. So far, I've only replaced the power cord, and, one capacitor.
I'm getting back on it.................

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:41 pm

Keep a pace you can work with. Build up your stamina a bit at a time. Out of curiosity, is the mechanism the harder restoration on those?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:10 pm

Not really, except the switch if bad, broken, or, missing. Thae radio is the trickiest part.
I haven't been in there today, yet. I'm getting help on my house from the city. They power washed my house today. Next, they will replace some rotten wood, then, totally re paint house for me. I'm excited.
It's a program for the elderly handicapped.
My house will be beautiful when finnished. At least, on the outside.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:06 pm

Is not the model 46-1201 the one they call the "Bing Crosby?" Is not the chassis just your typical AA5 type? What is so tricky about servicing this chassis? I have one in my "to do" pile. What little time I have spent with it shows me that getting the thing to work correctly will not be for the faint of heart! I am looking forward to seeing you go thru yours, then I may try mine next summer. Mine is in deplorable condition, and needs one of everything.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:47 pm

That's really good to see!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:59 pm

No, it is not your typical AA5. For one, it uses a voltage doubler with a 50Y6 rectifier. Then, depending whether it's the chassis with an Oval four Xfive speaker with a field coil, or, a four inch round permanent magnet speaker, the power supply gets interesting. No, it's not your typical AA5. Even the tubes are quite different.
It is the Bing Crosby, and, stayed that through the 49 models with min. I F transformers....

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top