Cellphone H**l

Go down

Cellphone H**l Empty Cellphone H**l

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:31 pm

I've had a prepaid cell phone since 1996 and a Motorola Razr phone since 2005. It's been a nice phone, I've been able to perform repairs on it when necessary, replaced the camera, usb port, screen windows and changed the housing on it twice. The provider has informed me they are changing to 3G and my phone will be rendered obsolete by the end of the month. Come in and we will give you a free phone. I came and got it. I don't like it. I have been trying to get the ringer to come up to an audible level and even though the thing indicates it took the command, I miss the calls because I can't hear it. If I turn on the vibrator, I can almost hear it, but not the ringer. I finally got a call as the phone was in my hand and the screen told me a call was incoming. After the call was done, RING! RING! Message incoming! Your last call cost 75 cents! Now it is back to the silent ringtones. I went to Amazon to see if any of the reviews would have anything on how to get this infernal device to ring. They only said that my provider carried these units and they retail for $16.40. I have just ordered what I hope will be a real phone. One with bat wings. I'm justifiably prejudiced in thiis regard. Smile 
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Cellphone H**l Empty Re: Cellphone H**l

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:05 pm

I have a Motorola TracFone that I got at Walmart. 2003, I think. The kids at work make fun of my "old" phone. It still has an antenna on it, and they think that is quaint. It is only a phone. No text, no nothing. I had it five years before I learned how to adjust the volume. The ringer still does not work where I can hear a call coming in. I usually feel in vibrate, but not always. I have never figured out how to set the time on it. My wife wants me to get a new phone, but what's the use? I could not run it if I had it. Things cannot be too simple for me. I wish the days of carrying a nickel in your penny loafers so you could use the pay phone in the laundrymat would come back personally.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:38 pm

I remember those days.  Now though, when some enterprising individual decides to put up payphones on their property,  they get used as metal pinatas to tap with ones' hammer. The real hoot is watching MeTv with my nieces and they ask why don't they call for help when the hero gets into a tough spot on the road.  I explain there were no cellphones then and that's how my good old days are a fate worse than death for the kids.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:58 pm

Do you remember the car phones that McGarrett, Mannix, Cannon and Barnaby Jones used? They were as big as a shoe box. Not a lady's shoe box, either. Your basic Red Wing, steel toe union welders work boot box. Must have weighed ten pounds. When they got into a jam, they could throw their phone at the bad guy and knock him silly.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:09 am

Yeah and you paid the bill for them with cash in the same size box! Very Happy 
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:11 am

We don't realize how lucky we are. Very Happy 

Regrds

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:56 am

I got a trac phone as well about 2000. Its still the one I use,no camera,internet,etc. I don't use it much but I use it all I want. IT costs me 10 bucks a year or less.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:09 am

Now, that's the way to go. But, like me, I have a house full of WE 500's, and, let me tell you, my arthritis hates the older ones!!!!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4386
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:54 pm

I do believe a cell phone should be a phone. Something I use to call someone when I'm away from a land line. I don't need to take pictures although I think my ancient one might do that. If I did take a picture, not certain how to get if off the camera. I don't text, if I wish to get on the internet, I do it from my computer.
I guess I'm just an old fart, a phone should be an easy to use phone and I don't need any more.

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:26 pm

Now, that's a man after my own heart.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:39 pm

The one That I am getting is compatible with the same software that my old one uses. I will be able to connect it to the computer and just pour all the personal info from the old phones' setup into the new phone. I've missed 6 calls on this free one, I can't wait to get the good one.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:49 pm

The program is nice for putting ringtones on the phone. This is the one I use. I always seem to be able to hear it.

http://www.emergencyfans.com/sounds/1claxon2.wav
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 am

I, too, stink at navigating through "secret" paths to find a function. I need actual BUTTONS that say things on them like....I dunno..."volume"!?

Nothing has enough buttons anymore. You have to find the right screen with two lousy buttons and then hit the correct one to get it to do anything. I can't even delete the incoming caller ID log on our new house phone. The old one had a delete button right on the front panel.

We should start a national charity drive to raise money for more labelled buttons!
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 510
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:31 am

That's what I like about my prepaid service. As long as the phone operates in the providers' protocol, I can choose whatever phone I want. You can filter the requirements on Ebay and then see which seems most you-friendly. At least I can get out allright with this free unit.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:00 am

And, I hate I phones. If I had a cell phone, I want it to be dummy proof. Namely, me.... I don't want no dang fancy du dads.
And, I want unlimmited calling...........
So, there.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:15 pm

Well, since I started this thread, I ordered another phone to replace the rotten unit given me by my provider. It arrived, and it was not 3g compatible. I returned it, and after research found the Motorola Razr2. It is a 3g phone. The person I ordered it from processed the order on amazon and didn't ship. after waiting on it and getting a refund, I found they were the only us dealer handling them. I finally had to order one from a dealer in Hong Kong. After another 3 week wait I finally have it. This one takes it's information loaded onto a micro sd card that the phone formats and I can download numbers pics and audio from the computer. It's great having a phone again. It also has much better sensitivity than the original 2g unit.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:45 pm

I just finally got a 3 g compatible phone. The thing about 3g is it is already on its way out. Now days most people carry 4g and 4g LTE phones. Before long that will be the only way to go. It is a huge improvement to 3g. Also the only drawback to 4g and 4g LTE is I've only seen it on smartphones not on basic phones. Verizon is the top dog for 4g phones and will always have the best coverage.
tuberadiogeek
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 647
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:57 am

My phone is so old that Trac-Fone keeps threatening to not let me renew. They still do, but time is not on my side. New phones are way too complicated for me.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:34 am

3G, 4G?
My phones have a round dial with numbers..........
And, guess what............ A real bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:41 am

Those will get you around home all right, but driving through no mans' land back and forth to work, You need a phone with you, so you have to play the game. My mobile internet is 4G, using a laptop. My phone though, is simple to use and it seems to get much better coverage than the old one.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:09 pm

I don't drive, so.................................

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum