Newbie from Massachusetts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Newbie from Massachusetts

Post by TappingCure on Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:43 am

Greetings!
I will probably just lurk for a while first; I am a complete newb. Lately I have become very interested in acquiring a good vintage tube radio or two. (Uh-oh, collecting fever...must watch out for this.) I live near Boston, MA with my husband and four cats--and yes, I am a gal! A life-long radio listener, I own a ton of vinyl recordings, cassette tapes and CDs. I can't stand anything with earbuds. Someone gave me an iPod but I have no patience for loading it. I am a musician and a builder of musical instruments (hand made flutes in precious metals). I hope to be able to contribute some day but for now I watch and read. Looking forward to learning about tube radio!

TappingCure

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-09-30

Back to top Go down

Re: Newbie from Massachusetts

Post by 75X11 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:53 am

Welcome!  You will find some good information and others who share your interests here. It is good to see a a lady take an interest in the hobby as many of these older radios were assembled by skilled ladies. My mother assembled "gun" assemblies for RCA color picture tubes.

Last edited by 75X11 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:58 am

Welcome to TRF. Just jump right in. You will like it here.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:18 am

Most cerainly welcome to TRF. Jump right in. Ask questions. How do you think we learned?? When I was a kid, I was always taking apart the family tv after I saw what it looked like while a repairman was fixing it.
I love music. Have Six Edison Cylinder phonographs, and, some Edison DD machines. Have cylinders, DD records, 78's, 45's, Lp's, books, antique tv's, and, radios. In the "real" world, I was always considered a junk collector  because I was always pulling otf tube tvv's out of people's trash....
Man, it was fun.
Every first week aof May, I was out there, during Harper Woodss' "fix up, clean up, throw out week" trash picking on my bycicle. Boy, do I miss those days!!
Look at my threads on some of my collection.
I have some videos on "You tube", and, Photo bucket of some of my collection playing...
Welcome.............
Something else.. Almost every machine I own, I rebuilt from total junk.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4523
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:46 am

Welcome, look around, and post when you're ready. Nice forum here.
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:18 pm

Welcome to TRF!
Tony V

Number of posts : 599
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Brig on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Yes, welcome. I lived in Hingham and Scituate during the 1960s and 70s while I worked for employers (both publishers) on Park Street and in the Statler Office Building in Boston. How I remember the terrible rush hour traffic on the SE Expressway! Whatever questions you have about the antique radio hobby, send them here and it's guaranteed you'll be helped.

Brig

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2011-08-18

Back to top Go down

Post by antiqueradiobuff on Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:01 am

Hello Newbie from Mass  Welcome I also am from Mass next week Next Friday and sat October 11th ans 12th I'll Be at the best radio Show in New England called Near Fest.
We just got done with our annual club meet Nearc it is a club that meets in Brookline New Hampshire  at the Brookline Event center. Possible could we have met there this past week> September 28th 2013.

I am a board member in that club well Please stop by and saw howdy Like to chat with you and your husband any time
Very Happy 
sincerely William S Sr.
antiqueradiobuff

Number of posts : 175
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top