I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Co Recht amp?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Co Recht amp?

Post by willy3486 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:25 am

I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Co Recht amp? It is probably from the late 30s. My friend owns it and he asked if I could look at it. I would love to find info on it and especially a diagram. From what he told me his dad owned it and played what he called Hawaiian steel guitar music from the early 40s with it. I don't have a picture of it yet but it has two input jacks, in a case about 14 inches high, has a couple of glass tubes, I think one is a 5y3, and a couple of steel tubes. The particular tubes were introduced in the mid 30s to early 40s If I remember correctly. It has the Co Recht name on it and also has "always correct " on it as well. Its a nice little amp I would like to fix. I don't think I will have to much trouble fixing it if nothing is burned up or missing but I would love to give him more info.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: I was wondering if anyone has heard of a Co Recht amp?

Post by Guest on Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:09 am

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:32 am

That is the same one as he had. Thanks.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:41 pm

Interesting. Cheapie, since it only has a 7" spkr.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:54 pm

That is kind of a cute little amp. That 7' speaker would be plenty for playing a steel guitar through. I have my uncle's old Silvertone Hawaiian steel guitar, and amp, circa 1953. The amp has an 8" speaker with an AA5 tube compliment. 35Z5GT, 12SQ7, and P-P 35L6GT. I don't remember the model number, but he played lots of hours wtih that old setup. What is the difference between a regular steel guitar and a Hawaiian steel guitar?

The amp that MEZ posted a pic of looks like it has a 5Y3, a couple of 6 volt metal tubes and one output tube, like a 6F6 or 6L6. Is that a power transformer in back of the tube on the right? That is a neat little amp. He will have fun with it after you get it tuned up. Have fun!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:57 pm

Yeh. I looked at link, and, it shows pictures of one on ebay right now..
It tells tube compliment. Looks like intended for low wattage. Nice looking unit, though...............

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:22 pm

That old Silvertone amp I have, with P-P 35L6's probably does not develop 5 watts output, yet it sounded real nice when unk played his steel guitar thru it, way back when. He was in a six piece country swing band called the "Bushwhackers." Hot stuff in the 1950's. The amp has a big chrome "Silvertone" logo on the front in the grill cloth. It was more important how it looked rather than how it worked.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:45 pm

In the mid-60's my mother's 3rd husband worked at Fisher Body making jigs and fixtures for body stamping dies. He made his own steel guitar from scratch. It was fascinating watching it come together. it was built on a long rectangular slab of wood about 6"x2-1/2"x3-1/2'. He made all the metal components at work, only buying the pickup and jack. As I remember it had foot pedals to control variable tension on the strings or all at once. He had a polished steel tube filled with epoxy and closed with nickels on each end. He painted it metallic candy apple red. (he let me pick the color) Finally, he got a decent used amp and tuned the guitar up and I have never heard any pro play better than he did with that instrument. It looked like a million bucks too. He designed it so it would fold to the dimension of the slab with the four braced legs and pedal assembly underneath. He found the money was better playing than at his job and he and my mother soon divorced, due to him being away much of the time. That was an electric steel guitar. The guitars I have seen used with traditional Hawaiian bands were more along the line of a conventional acoustic guitar played on the lap with a slider.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:42 am

Well I got it going and it sounds fantastic. I ordered some caps from Sals caps that were delivered today. I finished putting those caps in. I hooked it up to a mike and then put it up to my speakers in my shop. I also connected it to a output of a CD player and it sounds good. It has no distortion or hum at all. It is a small but well  designed amp.

I have a picture of the front.

The back of it looks like this.

I made a video of it. The sound and picture is not the best but it gives you an idea. Any distortion is from the camera and not the amp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBWZxwX_Eio&feature=youtu.be

I work with the fellow who owns it and got to be friends with him. He is a full time teacher but he and his wife has a group. They have been sucessful with the group traveling to places like japan and on shows like Austin city limits. I think I will tell him if he makes a video he needs to put it in the video. I will take it back to him next week.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 2:00 am

Looks and sounds Good!
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:35 am

Very nice looking amplifier.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top